Routing logistics

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Routing logistics

Unread post by chriiis »

Reading the recent post about the plan for the Q108/109 turn from Marion to North Baltimore and back piqued an old curiosity for me.

How come the plan isn't to start in North Baltimore and turn at Marion?

Does minimizing transit+dwell time on the containers moving between NWO and the Q106/107 take priority over other considerations? Does it fit better with the existing schedules at NWO (is the marketing driving the scheduling or vice versa)?

i am assuming the Q108/109 will use the engines coming off the Q106/107 maximizing engine utilization.

i would guess that crew availability and track space are negligible in this example.

At what point ought it flip? Does it tend to be concrete costs that sway the decision, or potential revenues of assumed with better service?

To site different examples: The Louisville and Indiana RR used to run a turn from Columbus,IN to Jeffersonville,IN and back in the evenings, being well paired the morning northbound turns to Indianapolis and the quick midday East Columbus local. When the economy tanked, they lost one of the northbounds gained a few CSX trackage rights trains, and flipped the south end's starting point to Jeffersonville (but not its timing), only to flip it back somewhat recently. Likewise there has been discussion on here about the MQT tweaking their schedules between Baldwin and Grand Rapids. Or, the INRD has went to running their road trains every other day, and i believe still swapping crews half way in Bloomington (and running a turn from Indy to work the GE refrigerator factory in Bloomington and back on the intervening days).

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Routing logistics

Unread post by Y@ »

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard that the engines off 106/107 will NOT be used on Q109.

BTW, Q108 is no longer going to be used. It will be a Q109 turn.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Unless the Q106/107 scheduled times out of MED change drastically from those of the past, there would be time to use the inbound power to make the turn. That would be better power utilization out of MED vs keeping and additional set of CSX engines out there. The installation of a "loop" at Med suggests a pull in and cut scenario.

Practice Safe CSX

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Russ, I know you know more than I do, but a reliable source mentioned to me that the KCS power isn't supposed to be used on Q109. I'm not sure if what the reason for that is.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Y@ wrote:Russ, I know you know more than I do, but a reliable source mentioned to me that the KCS power isn't supposed to be used on Q109. I'm not sure if what the reason for that is.
Depending on how the contract is set up, you're paying HP hours for every hour that engine is off the KCS anyway, may as well use it. They obviously seem to think the Q109 is going to be able to go up and back in 12 hrs, so that means the power would be back in place in time. I'm sure the Q107 will have to wait for those cars to come in. I don't know if I necessarily see the justification in the expense of a 'loop' track out at MED if they weren't going to 'cut and run'. But...who knows...just have to wait and see.

Practice Safe CSX

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

I find it interesting that the trains have yet to even begin to operate yet we've already begun to dissect their operations.

Perhaps we should wait and see what (and when) happens after the move begins...my guess is that there will be several tweaks to the operation before its "right". We've already seen that several times with current Q106/107 operation plans.

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CG Tower wrote:I find it interesting that the trains have yet to even begin to operate yet we've already begun to dissect their operations.
I enjoy rumors and speculation especially when it comes from people who can provide an inside or knowledgable perspective.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Which tends to get us no-where fast and occasionally pisses people off on the "yeah but I know this" one up-ness.

Not saying the conversations are not applicable, but, lets get the train moving first...

SO, given that....We can now assume that Q106 will pull into Marion, use the loop to turn themselves, do their work (or however that will work), now facing the "correct" way to head to NWO as Q109...run to NWO via the new connection at Ridgeway, run up the branch, head into NB, pick up/set off....run around, run back down the branch to Marion...use the loop to turn once again and now head back west as Q107. All without any sort of nasty back up moves.

Logic says the power should stay on, just for sake of simplicity...plus, I am assuming the NWO fuel pad is better equipped to service then MED would be, granted a fuel truck can be sent practically anywhere, but the "other" items may be better suited at a true fuel pad.

But, logic and railroads seem to be disjointed ideas. Especially given the planning meetings I've been a part of recently for a project near Lima.

CG Tower

AARR wrote:
CG Tower wrote:I find it interesting that the trains have yet to even begin to operate yet we've already begun to dissect their operations.
I enjoy rumors and speculation especially when it comes from people who can provide an inside or knowledgable perspective.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

CG Tower wrote: Logic says the power should stay on, just for sake of simplicity...plus, I am assuming the NWO fuel pad is better equipped to service then MED would be, granted a fuel truck can be sent practically anywhere, but the "other" items may be better suited at a true fuel pad.
CSX is 'planning' 2 hrs at NOW for the Q109 to drop and pickup. Not a lot of time if you're going to be servicing the power there too. I'd be more inclinded to believe that CSX will opt to fuel the Q107 at Avon before sending it west. With full fuel at Avon, it will make the round trip from Avon to Kansas City, Marion, and back. Q106 only needed 1500 gallons to make a round trip from Avon to Marion and back, anything less and it was fueled. Anything less that 2500 going west on Q107, and it gets fueled now. I'm fairly certain they were servicing the power at NWO on at least one leg of the trip, because Q107 would often come in with well over 3000 gallons of fuel still. Keep the KCS power on the train, quick flip at NWO, and fuel at Avon prior to departure to St. Louis and you could be 'in and out' of NWO in the scheduled 2 hrs.

Practice Safe CSX

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Where is NWO?
It's an acronym for Northwestern Ohio. The intermodal facility at North Baltimore has unofficially taken on that name as well as Area 51 since it lies roughly at milepost 51 on the main line.