Teenager with headphones killed by 70mph train

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Teenager with headphones killed by 70mph train

Unread post by Garry K »

From http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 0-mph.html:
Teenager with headphones killed by 70mph train - because didn't hear conductor's horn
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 18:49 EST, 1 February 2013 | UPDATED: 18:53 EST, 1 February 2013

A 16-year-old boy from New Mexico has been struck and killed by a fast-moving Amtrak train since he was listening to music while crossing the tracks and could not hear the conductor blowing the horn, police said.

Investigators say the victim, Jose Angel, was wearing headphones as he strolled along the tracks with a couple of friends on Wednesday, heading home from Bernalillo High School.

Friends and other witnesses reportedly watched as Angel walked onto the tracks, apparently totally unaware that a southbound train was approaching him at 70 mph, the Albuquerque Journal reported.

The Amtrak conductor allegedly sounded the train's horn three times but the teen didn't hear it.

Police responding to reports about the fatal crash around 3:15 p.m. found the victim's body near Valle Avenue and Oak Street, in an area between two public rail crossings. Investigators found ear buds in the victim's ears and an iPod close by, the Journal reported.

The victim's cousin, Leticia Trujillo, told a reporter from the CBS affiliate KRQE News 13 that her cousin was 'the light of the family. He would always make everybody smile and laugh.'

[...]
Garry K

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Re: Teenager with headphones killed by 70mph train

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Splat. Ignorance dealt with properly.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I stopped wearing head phones while biking / jogging years ago. Better to hear what is going on around me than being entertained by music.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AARR wrote:I stopped wearing head phones while biking / jogging years ago. Better to hear what is going on around me than being entertained by music.
Maybe we need to outlaw head phones in this country. How many kids needlessly die because of the dangers of head phones? We need to spend millions to get the word out on the dangers of head phones.

Practice Safe CSX

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

CSX_CO wrote:
AARR wrote:I stopped wearing head phones while biking / jogging years ago. Better to hear what is going on around me than being entertained by music.
Maybe we need to outlaw head phones in this country. How many kids needlessly die because of the dangers of head phones? We need to spend millions to get the word out on the dangers of head phones.

Practice Safe CSX

No....But it should be common sense to not wear them and walk on railroad tracks.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

CharlieX90 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX

No....But it should be common sense to not wear them and walk on railroad tracks.
Why are you blaming the victim? Its the head phones fault. They obviously weren't properly instructed on their safe usage, and thus we should ban them for everyone until we get a long term solution figured out.

Practice Safe CSX

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

No worse then the morons driving (mostly teens) now wearing earphones now as well. No wonder my car insurance is so high.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

I don't understand how some people can be so clueless. Walking down a set of railroad tracks with your headphones in, completely oblivious to your surroundings is the equivalent walking down the middle of a busy free-way, or an airport runway and thinking nothing will end up decapitating you. The only victims here are the train crew and the family. "All finished" (Chuck will understand that quote)

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

nssd70m-2 wrote:I don't understand how some people can be so clueless. Walking down a set of railroad tracks with your headphones in, completely oblivious to your surroundings is the equivalent walking down the middle of a busy free-way, or an airport runway and thinking nothing will end up decapitating you. The only victims here are the train crew and the family. "All finished" (Chuck will understand that quote)

Family failed. Even before i was ever interested in trains, i knew darn well not to walk on the tracks. Good riddance to the fool who chose music over life. Hopefully he burns.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

12Bridge wrote:No worse then the morons driving (mostly teens) now wearing earphones now as well. No wonder my car insurance is so high.

It's high because you live in Michigan? 50 dollars a month for two cars, full coverage here in Ohio. 150 for similar vehicles for my folks in Michigan.