N Scale Track Cleaning Cars

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

N Scale Track Cleaning Cars

Unread post by Racer »

I've been looking at an N scale track cleaning car to add one to my layout. I know there are many out there, but I was looking for one that is safe on DCC and Kato Unitrack turnouts, but looks like an MofW car where I can run it with a caboose as a work train extra during my op. sessions. Any suggestions on certain ones EXCEPT for the CMX brass track cleaning cars?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Re: N Scale Track Cleaning Cars

Unread post by GP9R »

Atlas cars would work. but it will need a decoder wired in unless Atlas has decided to release DCC equipped ones

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

GP9R wrote:Atlas cars would work. but it will need a decoder wired in unless Atlas has decided to release DCC equipped ones
I looked into that, but there is no known DCC support for the Atlas models, plus there are no knuckle coupler conversions from the bulky horn-hooks that they all come with.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

It's a little late now, but there was a two part article in one of the N scale magazines a couple months ago about the various track cleaning cars available. I don't have the articles handy at the moment, but I remember there's one available that you could mount a boxcar shell onto to camouflage it as part of a train. I'll try to look it up later tonight, unless it's the one you're not interested in.
~ Charles W.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

MKT_fan11 wrote:It's a little late now, but there was a two part article in one of the N scale magazines a couple months ago about the various track cleaning cars available. I don't have the articles handy at the moment, but I remember there's one available that you could mount a boxcar shell onto to camouflage it as part of a train. I'll try to look it up later tonight, unless it's the one you're not interested in.
I would like to see. Please post if it's possible. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
MKT_fan11 wrote:It's a little late now, but there was a two part article in one of the N scale magazines a couple months ago about the various track cleaning cars available. I don't have the articles handy at the moment, but I remember there's one available that you could mount a boxcar shell onto to camouflage it as part of a train. I'll try to look it up later tonight, unless it's the one you're not interested in.
I would like to see. Please post if it's possible. :)
I'll be watching this too. I was just starting to think of a track cleaning car as my layout moves closer to ops. I have an old Model Railroader special release....something along the lines of "Model Railroading Basics" that mentioned the built-for cleaning cars, the conversion kits, and the abrasive-eraser things like Briteboy (sp?). Anyway, I was mostly looking at the conversion kits that have a pad you attach to the underside of the car. Are those still around?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

whatever happened to sand paper and elbow grease? :mrgreen:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:whatever happened to sand paper and elbow grease? :mrgreen:
Sand paper scratches the surface, leading to more places for grime to build up. Also, I don't think I will be able to reach into my tunnels :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

lsi3009
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lsi3009 »

check out centerline track cleaning cars, i have one for my ho scale layout and i love it..

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Check out the March\April edition of N Scale Railroading. Mike Danneman has a really good acticle covering his attempts at keeping his massive layout clean. The article also covers cleaning locomotive\cars wheels that so many people over look.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

The articles I mentioned were in the September/October and November/December issues of "N-Scale Magazine" and were written by Ron Bearden. I can't repost the two articles in their entirety, but here are some of the highlights:

-Aztec - 4 cars. http://www.aztectrains.com/nscaletrackclean.html

-Fleischmann Locomotive - two rotating pads between two driven axles. European prototype. Bearden refers to the unit as a sander. I couldn't find a url to better describe the unit.

- Herkel/Con-Cor tanker - Old model, might not be out of production. Two axle tank car, with pad mounted underneath. Fill the tank, fluid keeps the pad wet. I also was not able to find a website showing this car.

- Lux Vaccum - Lux-Modellbau Company. Vaccum car. http://www.lux-modellbau.de/html_uk/index.htm

- Lux Polisher - Bearden was not able to obtain a sample of this car for the articles, but apparently it polishes the rails. The Lux cars are apparently quite expensive.

- Micro-Trains Polisher- Motorized, but not self-propelled. http://mnpinc.com/n_scale.htm

- Noch/WS Dust Monkeys - cleaning pad clipped onto the axle of a wheel. www.noch.de/en/ You'll have to dig around a little to find the product. I believe the "WS" means "Woodland Scenics".

- Roco/Model Power Pad - Originally built by Roco, then by Model Power. Essentially a shaped eraser pad, mounted under a boxcar.

- Tomix/Atlas Vacuum - the second part of the article includes steps to convert the unit to DCC, and makes it sound pretty simple.

- Tsugawa Yokou Mop - looks kind of like a jet switch blower, but is dragged backward and has a micro-fiber pad attached to it. Bearden's car was purchased on eBay.

I hope this helps. I'm pretty sure you can still get back issues that would include the two articles. The descriptions and photos included in the articles, as well as the author's personal experiences using each type of car, are well worth the cost of the entire issue, especially if you're ready to invest in a track cleaning car.

The publication's website is www.nscalemagazine.com.
~ Charles W.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

2 other things that I've found that help, metal wheels, and regular use

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

GP9R wrote:2 other things that I've found that help, metal wheels, and regular use
+1
~ Charles W.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I looked at the Aztec's "Eliminator" Track Cleaning Car; would anyone recommend this one for KATO Unitrack? If I got something like this, I would run it between a locomotive and a caboose like an MofW special during op. sessions.

Link: http://www.aztectrains.com/N_3.html

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

MKT_fan11 wrote:I believe the "WS" means "Woodland Scenics."
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics. ... rPage=1900
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

I just saw this on another forum- it's a .pdf file that covers converting your Tomix (Atlas) vacuum car to DCC.
http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Tomix/Track%20Car/N_Tomix_Track_Car.pdf
~ Charles W.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I believe Tomix is either making the track cleaner Atlas sells or they are using the same mfg. They are virtually identical in all ways except the paint schemes. A freind of mine is using an Atlas version on his Unitrack layout and is having good luck. I've been thinking of picking up a Tomix version and repainting it into the Loram scheme....;-)
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts