Ore to take a Major hit in 2013

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Ore to take a Major hit in 2013

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:All mines will run out of ore eventually...
That's why new diggings need to be made. INRD lucked out in the Blackhawk mine 'scraping bottom', and subsquently shutting down (amongst other mines in the region) and then being able to open the Bear Run mine to supply coal needs.

There's probably plenty of ore up there, question is will companies go to the expense of finding it, and will the EPA allow it to happen.

Practice Safe CSX

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The depletion of easily accessible natural ore in Northern MN during WW2 led to the development of the processes used to make Taconite a viable alternative. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/education/ge ... onite.html

The key is "easily accessible" - are there other locations where the same grade product can be extracted at a lower cost than what can be done at the mines in question? That's a key driver into the mine's viability.
MQT3001 wrote:All mines will run out of ore eventually...

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

I have been told the Tilden has at least 50 years left to mine, as it states that in the article. When I worked there in 08, the rumor was the Empire has 10-15 years left. If you look at the demand of ore at the current moment, Cliffs lost big in 2012. I could see a permanent shut-down, because the Empire only was only able to produce hematite ore. The Tilden makes both types hematite and magnetite. Even though the Tilden can't make both at the same time, I think that with the Empire and Tilden providing only 20% of the ore to the world, they should be able to get by. I could also see CN shortline between Ishpeming or Baraga/L’Anse and Escanaba. Ore will still flow over the docks at Escanaba, because when the Locks close at Ste. Saint Marie in the winter. Your ore freighters still need access to Lake Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario. Ships are still loaded at Marquette in the winter, but if the locks are closed chances are shipments are for Algoma or some other port on the big S. I would keep eye on Kennacotte if CN shortlines that section between Baraga and Escanaba, because the nickel mine at Big Bay.

My thinking anyways.

Good read on Tilden and Empire mining:

Tiden and Empire

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

CAT345C wrote: Keep in mind if the empire does shut down there are deposits surveyed to the south/south east between Palmer and Gwinn that can be mined.
As I recall, Cliffs was doing some extensive analysis for a new pit at the site of the former Cascade mine. The Cascade location is just east of Palmer and the plan at that time, as told to my co-workers by CCI, was to use part of the Empire processing infrastructure to support the planned mine. CCI spent a large amount of money upgrading structural features, such as the roof and framing, of the Empire buildings in the past five years. Not something that would be undertaken if the mill was only needed to last 5 years. Time will tell.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

From the Marquette Mining Journal. Layoffs start today...
http://www.miningjournal.net/page/conte ... l?nav=5006
Owosso Steve

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

300 jobs is a big hit for da UP!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GHRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GHRailFan »

While we are talking about the area, I have a question (and this is a VERY VERY long shot since many of you will not know anything about the Huron Mountain Club, and surely none of you have ever set foot in the club boundaries)...

Back when I was a child, my family would visit the club, and my grandfather and uncle would take me out fishing on some of the lakes in the club. I clearly remember there being an old caboose in the woods, directly next to one of the lakes and we toured it. Anyone have any info on the caboose and if it is still there? I seem to recall it being run down, but it does not fit the style of the club (it is an ultra-exclusive private club with something like 25,000 acres of pristine, virgin forest in the huron mountains has a membership of 50 members who are elected in, one being in my family. Henry ford was even rejected for many years) their buildings, while rustic, are not run down.

Like I said, it is a very very long shot since practically nobody can set foot on the land, but figured someone might know of a caboose out there. My grandfather says it was in the club on one of the lakes, but cannot remember what lake and doesn't know what ever happened to it.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

GHSignalMaintainer wrote:While we are talking about the area, I have a question (and this is a VERY VERY long shot since many of you will not know anything about the Huron Mountain Club, and surely none of you have ever set foot in the club boundaries)...

Back when I was a child, my family would visit the club, and my grandfather and uncle would take me out fishing on some of the lakes in the club. I clearly remember there being an old caboose in the woods, directly next to one of the lakes and we toured it. Anyone have any info on the caboose and if it is still there? I seem to recall it being run down, but it does not fit the style of the club (it is an ultra-exclusive private club with something like 25,000 acres of pristine, virgin forest in the huron mountains has a membership of 50 members who are elected in, one being in my family. Henry ford was even rejected for many years) their buildings, while rustic, are not run down.

Like I said, it is a very very long shot since practically nobody can set foot on the land, but figured someone might know of a caboose out there. My grandfather says it was in the club on one of the lakes, but cannot remember what lake and doesn't know what ever happened to it.
I live in Marquette and I have been inside the club boundaries on business. I have never heard of the caboose you mention, but that does not mean that the caboose is no longer extent. I will check around during my next trip home and see if anyone knows of said caboose.

In the meantime, Google Earth, lots of coffee and several hours of spare time should give you an answer. :lol:

GHRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Standard Railfan wrote:
I live in Marquette and I have been inside the club boundaries on business. I have never heard of the caboose you mention, but that does not mean that the caboose is no longer extent. I will check around during my next trip home and see if anyone knows of said caboose.

In the meantime, Google Earth, lots of coffee and several hours of spare time should give you an answer. :lol:

As far as I know, it could be long gone by now. It was nearly 25 years ago when I saw it. I did some looking on google maps but could not find anything definitive. I just remember it being next to a long skinny lake with a 5-10' rocky ledge. It was in heavy tree cover.

I do know at one time there was a set of tracks through what is now the club property, and there are actually some rock cuts for the old grade in there somewhere (the property is immense). I heard that they ran a single train on the line and then ripped it up (as to why, I have no clue, it is just a story that has been passed down through generations). Maybe this has something to do with the caboose. I remember it being a wooden caboose in rather bad shape.

I have extensive family in Marquette and Escanaba, so I am up there quite a bit. If you play golf, check out the Gentz Family Homestead golf course. Also my cousin races snowmobiles/dirt bikes.

GHRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Actually, I just found this video... I think I am onto something. Time to do some research. The comments give some leads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lR9cp2lp4U&sns=em

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

GHSignalMaintainer wrote:Actually, I just found this video... I think I am onto something. Time to do some research. The comments give some leads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lR9cp2lp4U&sns=em
I believe the gentlemen in the video are discussing and standing on the Peshekee grade. An abortive attempt to haul ore from the Michigamme area to an ore dock on Huron Bay northeast of L'Anse. The story I have always heard was the grades were so steep the locomotives could not haul empties, let alone loads.

There was also the rail line from Marquette (near the LS&I ore dock) to Big Bay and, I believe on to the Huron Mountain Club. There was also a spur to Louis Kaufman's Granot Loma "lodge" on Lake Superior southeast of Big Bay.