New York Central Dreyfuss Hudsons

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

New York Central Dreyfuss Hudsons

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Does anybody know when the last NYC Dreyfuss Hudson steam locomotive ran? Does anyone have pictures of the last or last ones being scrapped? Any pictures/info pertaining to this subject would much be appreciated.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: New York Central Dreyfuss Hudsons

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Not Michigan but here are several photos of NYC Dreyfuss Hudsons on trains at Elkhart, Indiana (which is pretty darn close to the border). I love the last two "non roster" shots especially. I've always been more of a PRR fan moreso than "home road" NYC, but this is one of the most beautiful steam locomotives ever constructed. I like the angular steamlined look of the Pennsy's T1, but the Dreyfuss Hudson is better. Plus they ran them in Michigan!!

Enjoy: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=42178

I have one of these shots as my desktop background :)

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

GP30M4216 wrote:Not Michigan but here are several photos of NYC Dreyfuss Hudsons on trains at Elkhart, Indiana (which is pretty darn close to the border). I love the last two "non roster" shots especially. I've always been more of a PRR fan moreso than "home road" NYC, but this is one of the most beautiful steam locomotives ever constructed. I like the angular steamlined look of the Pennsy's T1, but the Dreyfuss Hudson is better. Plus they ran them in Michigan!!

Enjoy: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=42178

I have one of these shots as my desktop background :)
Wow! Very cool stuff Nate! Thanks for sharing!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Yup, this one is pretty frickin' awesome:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Very neat, definitely got that art deco Metropolis 1930's kinda style, must have been an awesome sight back in its day! Thanks for posting, GP! :D

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

GP30M4216 wrote:Not Michigan but here are several photos of NYC Dreyfuss Hudsons on trains at Elkhart, Indiana (which is pretty darn close to the border). I love the last two "non roster" shots especially. I've always been more of a PRR fan moreso than "home road" NYC, but this is one of the most beautiful steam locomotives ever constructed. I like the angular steamlined look of the Pennsy's T1, but the Dreyfuss Hudson is better. Plus they ran them in Michigan!!
I also am a PRR fan. I started thinking of your comment on the Hudsons running in Michigan but not the PRR T1s. Given the weight difference of engine and tender, the T1 at over 900,000 lb and the Hudson at about 690,000 lb, I think the Michigan tracks of either railroad would have failed with a T1 running at any speed.

The resulting carnage would have been interesting to see, at a good safe distance. :shock:

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Pretty sure something that big could have the ran on the Michigan Central without much issue, can't see a PRR line in Michigan where they could have done so, though.

Pennsy tried to reinvent the horse at the end of steam while they should have went whole hog for diesels as the Central did or let the guys at Alco and Lima show them how to reinvent the horse successfully. Lima had a 4-8-6 on the drawing boards that I think would have really been something.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

MagnumForce wrote:Pretty sure something that big could have the ran on the Michigan Central without much issue, can't see a PRR line in Michigan where they could have done so, though.

Pennsy tried to reinvent the horse at the end of steam while they should have went whole hog for diesels as the Central did or let the guys at Alco and Lima show them how to reinvent the horse successfully. Lima had a 4-8-6 on the drawing boards that I think would have really been something.
I think there were several reasons why the PRR held onto steam. There was a lot of well maintained steam engines available after the electrification of the NE corridor. The infrastructure was in place. And like the C&O and N&W the politics of being a coal hauling railroad required that they support their customers.

Even those of you on the "Green Team" have to admit, some of the Pennsy's steam experiments were beyond cutting edge.

I believe that those technologies paired with modern electronic control technologies and condensing might make for some very efficient locomotives.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Beyond cutting edge sure, another sign of the PRR being wholly unstandard at the expense of themselves definitely. Did these beyond cutting edge engines really work well for them? Not exactly.