What kind of locomotive...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

What kind of locomotive...

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hi all! I know, I'm on a thread roll. No hatin' :D

Anyway, I was wondering what type of locomotives Amtrak/MDOT/IDOT would be getting after 2015 (the bi-level deliveries). The MI State rail plan indicates new locomotives, but not what type. Does anyone know? You can also speculate on which would be best.

Anyway, Thanks!
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

dcmkris
Railroadfan...fan

Re: What kind of locomotive...

Unread post by dcmkris »

Nothing yet decide on the new engines. The request for proposals is being handled by Illinois DOT and just went out for bid last month. I believe the timeline I saw said the award was to be in first quarter of 2014.

The only ones I know of that have something to bid are:
MPI / Wabtec - MP40PH-3C (Delivered recently to Sounder in Seattle)
Brookville - BL36PH (Being delivered to Tri-Rail in Miami)
EMD - EMD F125 low-emission Spirit series (25 on order by Metrolink)
GE - Rumored Genesis 2 - I assume a P42 with new Tier 4 power plant and probably very similar body to that of the P40-42 sereis Genesis 1

Kris

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Ok, thank you. The BL36PH is probably one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Ok, thank you. The BL36PH is probably one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.
From what I could find online, it looks similar to the MP40PHs. Now the F125 looks strange IMHO.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Yeah, not a fan of the F125 either.....

Actually, the BL36PH doesn't look to bad in Tri-Rail colors...

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

I would prefer to see tier-4 P42s. To me,P42s aren't the most graceful looking passenger locomotives ever built but out of all the proposed designs,the P42s have the best curb appeal. Plus Id see Amtrak going this route because their mechanical dept. wouldn't need much education on how to take care of them as they would be familiar with the current P42s. That's time and money saved.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

JStryker722 wrote:I would prefer to see tier-4 P42s. To me,P42s aren't the most graceful looking passenger locomotives ever built but out of all the proposed designs,the P42s have the best curb appeal. Plus Id see Amtrak going this route because their mechanical dept. wouldn't need much education on how to take care of them as they would be familiar with the current P42s. That's time and money saved.
Amtrak would likely not be the entity doing the mechanical work, or at least not paying for it. I suppose the State DOTs might contract out the work, but there is a chance they might come together and build a shop around Chicago to service the new units, with each state getting a stake in the organization.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Or maybe build a small shop where the old railyard is in New Buffalo. On Google Maps it looks like its not really used anymore. Viable?

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

1.Amtrak would more in likely "encourage " ie push for Tier 4 P42s for the sake of standardized equipment and again to save time and money on training mechanics whole new types of locomotives,regardless of who is fixing or paying for fixing the equipment.

2. As far as MDOT is concerned,I'd see them having shops in Chicago in cooperation with Illinois DOT and Amtrak along with a shop in Detroit/Pontiac for those Amtrak trains that layover there at night.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NSSD70ACe wrote:Or maybe build a small shop where the old railyard is in New Buffalo. On Google Maps it looks like its not really used anymore. Viable?
Probably not, for a few reasons:
1. Not centralized
2. CSX
3. You'd have to get CSX permission to run extra engine moves up the PM to the shop often
4. CSX

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

MQT3001 wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:Or maybe build a small shop where the old railyard is in New Buffalo. On Google Maps it looks like its not really used anymore. Viable?
Probably not, for a few reasons:
1. Not centralized
2. CSX
3. You'd have to get CSX permission to run extra engine moves up the PM to the shop often
4. CSX
Crap, those are CSX tracks...

I doubt they'd build a new facility in Chicago. That area is packed full as it is, and I don't think a house boat will cut it :lol:

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They wouldn't build a new facility in Chicago. My bet is that in the short term, heavy maintenance will be done in Chicago at the Amtrak shops, likely under contract. I've read in a few different places that the crews operating the trains will be Amtrak employees, so it kind of makes sense they'd handle other aspects of the operation as well. In the meantime I could see them putting a light servicing area in Ann Arbor or maybe somewhere in the vicinity of the Detroit station. Word is eventually they'd like to build a shop and storage yard in Jackson, where they'd like the trains to originate/terminate, eventually.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Most major repairs on Amtrak are already conducted at Beech Grove, Indiana, which is close enough to Chicago and can already handle the work.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Doktor No wrote:I think EMD is putting up a new E9 for Amtrak. That would be GREAT! All other passenger locomotives pale in comparison.
I approve! :D

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

GTW6401 wrote:Most major repairs on Amtrak are already conducted at Beech Grove, Indiana, which is close enough to Chicago and can already handle the work.
Except Indiana and AMTRAK don't exactly have a really great working relationship going on right now. With no movement on funds for the Hoosier State past October, Indy (and AMTRAK) is going to lose 5 day a week service unless the legislature ponies up the funds to keep it on. That would mean either AMTRAK running 'dead head' trains of equipment for the Grove, or its feasible AMTRAK may just pull up stakes entirely from the Grove, and transfer the work elsewhere. Time will tell...

Practice Safe CSX

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

Doktor No wrote:I think EMD is putting up a new E9 for Amtrak. That would be GREAT! All other passenger locomotives pale in comparison.
Whatever the finished F125 looks like, I'll love it 'cause I'm an EMD fanboy. 8)
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

MDOT one way or another will probably need a servicing yard in the Detroit/Pontiac area no matter what happens to take care of trains that start there in the morning.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

JStryker722 wrote:MDOT one way or another will probably need a servicing yard in the Detroit/Pontiac area no matter what happens to take care of trains that start there in the morning.
I imagine that MDOT and SEMCOG could set up a joint venture somewhere

lightning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lightning »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Hi all! I know, I'm on a thread roll. No hatin' :D

Anyway, I was wondering what type of locomotives Amtrak/MDOT/IDOT would be getting after 2015 (the bi-level deliveries). The MI State rail plan indicates new locomotives, but not what type. Does anyone know? You can also speculate on which would be best.

Anyway, Thanks!
RAIL ROAD LOCOMOTIVE..... J/K. :mrgreen:

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

CSX_CO wrote:
Except Indiana and AMTRAK don't exactly have a really great working relationship going on right now. With no movement on funds for the Hoosier State past October, Indy (and AMTRAK) is going to lose 5 day a week service unless the legislature ponies up the funds to keep it on. That would mean either AMTRAK running 'dead head' trains of equipment for the Grove, or its feasible AMTRAK may just pull up stakes entirely from the Grove, and transfer the work elsewhere. Time will tell...

Practice Safe CSX
If they transfer, I hope its up here. We could use the jobs.