Grand Elk train question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Elk train question

Unread post by Mike H »

Haha good point, I should have known.

Mike H

Brakey
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakey »

Mike H wrote:I don't have any inside information on this one, but I have a very hard time believing that anyone is staging cars in Kalamazoo for the customers between there & Battle Creek. Where did this rumore come from? Customers don't just stage cars for the heck of it & demurrage gives the customer an incentive to get cars moving as quickly as possible again. Many products cannot sit in a car extended periods of time, plus someone has to pay for the cost of the car. Just using round numbers most customers lease cars for around $600 per month depending on commodity, size, age, car type & a few other factors.

When switching in Gerhart Yard its hard to use less than7 tracks unless you have a small train to switch out, so by the time you take into account the storage cars in 7-10 track (assuming they are still there) it doesn't leave any extra room for just sitting on cars to go to Battle Creek or Augusta. Plus there has been no STB filing & I believe there needs to be at least a 30 day approval process. No customer is going to sit on assets like that for such a long time frame.

Mike H
This. 8)

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Mike (and everyone else),

The information about staging cars for BC came from the inside and thats all I can say. The person said "in a few weeks". Thats all I have heard on the subject.

Thanks
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

501 northbound thru Three Rivers at 8:30 PM. It's going to be a short night for those guys.