Another CSX Customer Lost

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Another CSX Customer Lost

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

In case this has not already been posted elsewhere, it was announced today that Pinckney Molded Plastics, west of Howell, and a D708 customer which had recently been sold to another company, was closing its doors and moving its operation to Indiana. This will leave Ogihara as the only east of Fowlerville customer left plus the GLC transfer.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Another CSX Customer Lost

Unread post by AARR »

Bob, sorry to hear it but thanks for the update. What was traffic like into the Pinckney plant?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Doktor No wrote:Bob, whatever happened to the customer going into the paper plant in Howell? thought that was going to be something.
The company that was planning on moving into International Paper has backed out of the deal, or at least is now on the back burner, because they were expecting to get government financing, or aid, that they did not get. I think it had something to do with the wind turbin green energy thing. The building remains empty and the For Sale sign is still up.

Meanwhile, to AARR, Pinckney Plastics, while no where as big as Thermofil up the road, most often had 10-12 cars in the plant and got service at least once or twice a week when D708 (D709) used to run five days and the encomony had not tanked yet. Despite this, D708 was in there at least once a week if not every other week.

Ogihara continues to ship out much scrap by truck. The current scrap contrator has a fleet of 15-20 gons that they use over and over and are returned after unloading, yet the amount of empty cars in the plant has no bearing of shipping by truck. I have seen them loading by truck where there are 5-7 empty gons sitting there. As mentioned previously, because the rail facility was built with government funding, they are required to ship out a certain amount to satisfy the feds and the state when there is something that they can ship out. Anything over that goes by truck.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

BL2-1843 wrote:Meanwhile, to AARR, Pinckney Plastics, while no where as big as Thermofil up the road, most often had 10-12 cars in the plant and got service at least once or twice a week when D708 (D709) used to run five days and the encomony had not tanked yet. Despite this, D708 was in there at least once a week if not every other week.
Someone moved into the old Pinckney Plastics plant and had 3-4 cars on the spur.

Nothing at Ogihara now Thai Summit.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

brysonda
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brysonda »

AARR wrote:Nothing at Ogihara now Thai Summit.
FWIW D708 has had 2-3 filled Thai Summit scrap gons with them on their return trip twice this week. They still frequently refer to stopping at 'Ogihara' when talking to the RN in the morning.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

brysonda wrote:
AARR wrote:Nothing at Ogihara now Thai Summit.
FWIW D708 has had 2-3 filled Thai Summit scrap gons with them on their return trip twice this week. They still frequently refer to stopping at 'Ogihara' when talking to the RN in the morning.
D708 died at Fowlerville on Monday night, recrewed their own train on Tuesday, picked up five Thai Summit gons on the way east, (eight remaining in the plant) did not stop there on Wednesday, turned at Fowlerville today. 708 crew still refers to Thai Summit as Ogihara, just like they refer to Asahi Kasai in Fowlerville as Thermofil. Old habits are hard to break.

Pinckney Molded Plastics reopened their plant in September after being closed only nine months.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Doktor No wrote:And we have a car in stock for Brighton as I type.
For the old truss plant? That was a busy customer once upon a time.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Doktor No wrote:
AARR wrote:
Doktor No wrote:And we have a car in stock for Brighton as I type.
For the old truss plant? That was a busy customer once upon a time.
No the PLASTICS PLACE. I reckoned it was the old Pickney place...no other switches/sidings/spurs in Brighton that I know of.
Is it west of Brighton?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Pinckney Molded plastics was in Howell, not Brighton. I am not aware of any customers between Green Oak (old truss place and Peaker Services) and Howll on CSX. There used to be a plastics plant by US-23 in Brighton, but after it burned they rebuilt in Fowlerville (or expanded an operation already there) and sold off the Brighton property. As far as I can see the siding has been removed from that location.

Pinckney Molded Plastics was located right past the M-59 bridge in Howell near the I-96 /M-59 interchange (next to the outlet mall basically). They built that location after the original company, Patterson Lake Products closed their location in Pinckney, thus the name Pinckney Molded Plastics. The old Pinckney location had some environmental issues and was finally torn down. It now serves as the Pinckney DPW lot. The original location never had rail service as it was about 1 mile south of the old GTW that is now the Lakeland Trail.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

One step closer to abandoning the PM. :)
Bottom text.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Y@ wrote:One step closer to abandoning the PM. :)
Short Line, Y@, it will be acquired by a short line :wink:

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Y@ wrote:One step closer to abandoning the PM. :)
Very ignorant response compared to the other customers based along this line and around the Grand Rapids terminal.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

It's a joke, Chris. Calm down.