"Track Defect"

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

"Track Defect"

Unread post by Saturnalia »

He makes a pretty big deal about it...more than it is worth certainly. What say the railroaders on here?
Last edited by Saturnalia on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Track Defect

Unread post by Norm »

Well, everyone here knows I'm not a rail but I've seen track flex much more than that and is not considered a problem. The old Durand diamond was if far worse shape before it got replaced. BTW, his so-called defect can be fixed in a couple hours with new ties and a tamper.
Norm

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Ties really don't even need to be replaced, just needs tamping. Doesn't even appear to be a slow order on it as the train is moving right along close to 50. Not a defect, just a soft spot; they pop up all over the place when it rains, melting snow, etc. The bad ones get slow orders until they're fixed, but this one is not bad. I can't stand watching this moron's videos. Some of them are meant to be "funny" but they are just painful to watch as he offers his railroad "expertise"...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Shouldn't be captioned "Really Bad Tracks", "a soft spot" is more like it. They are more spectacular when they are full of water and mud squirts out with every truck that passes over 8) . I'm sure the track inspector knows it's there and is duly noted in his report. Like Mr. Tops said, bad ones get slow orders.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I can't stand watching this moron's videos. Some of them are meant to be "funny" but they are just painful to watch as he offers his railroad "expertise"...

Yeah that...

This guy is the type that gives us foamers a bad name, I mean he obviously know nothing about what he is talking about but goes around spouting off like he is an expert...oh...wait...um,

No this guy is great spot on couldn't agree with him more. :mrgreen:

But seriously, if he wants to see bad mud holes he should have see the CSX tracks on the Willard Sub. before they rebuilt it after the Conrail split. I've been to Plant City, Fl. many times on business trips as we have a plant there right next to the tracks trust me that line is in great shape.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Re: "Track Defect"

Unread post by redcrumbox »

A real winner.

Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

No FRA defect there from what I can see without taking measurements.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Norm wrote:The old Durand diamond was if far worse shape before it got replaced.
It was fun to watch the old Durand diamond before it was replaced. There is at least one picture where the wheel looks like its 1/2-1" off the rail bouncing over the crossing :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

AARR wrote:
Norm wrote:The old Durand diamond was if far worse shape before it got replaced.
It was fun to watch the old Durand diamond before it was replaced. There is at least one picture where the wheel looks like its 1/2-1" off the rail bouncing over the crossing :lol:
Agreed, Don. I kept wondering when one was going to miss the rail on the way back down. The cars behind it would have made mincemeat of the depot. :lol:
Norm

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Seems to me that rail flexing up and down would eventually break from the constant flexing. Take a piece of steel and keep bending it back and forth, and see what happens. Yeah, I know it's a big steel rail. But the same principals apply.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

hoborich wrote:Seems to me that rail flexing up and down would eventually break from the constant flexing. Take a piece of steel and keep bending it back and forth, and see what happens. Yeah, I know it's a big steel rail. But the same principals apply.
Slim chance this ever did happen but if it did, CTC would drop and trains will be running on restrictve signals. A train will make it over a broken rail at restricted speed 99% of the time. They'd probably make it over it at 50 mph 99% of the time too because it's just a separation; the rail is still held in place by the ballast, ties and spikes. Rail is made of high quality steel alloy and is designed to be malleable, yet strong. It has to allow for the climate change it faces and the ability to expand and contract. If the rail did not flex like you see in the video, it would then certainly break from the force of the train and the underlying soft spot.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote: Slim chance this ever did happen but if it did, CTC would drop and trains will be running on restrictve signals. A train will make it over a broken rail at restricted speed 99% of the time. They'd probably make it over it at 50 mph 99% of the time too because it's just a separation; the rail is still held in place by the ballast, ties and spikes. Rail is made of high quality steel alloy and is designed to be malleable, yet strong. It has to allow for the climate change it faces and the ability to expand and contract. If the rail did not flex like you see in the video, it would then certainly break from the force of the train and the underlying soft spot.
I made it across a 12" missing ball section of the rail one time at 50. Not sure how we didn't derail all over the place, but somehow my 100+ cars stayed where they needed to. Since it didn't break all the way down, signals didn't drop. Came around a curve and with the sun glint something just didn't look right. Hit it and instantly knew. I dropped my counter and breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when my train length finally ticked off and we were still rolling. Call the dispatcher and the next train behind us was able to find the problem and MOW was dispatched.

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:Seems to me that rail flexing up and down would eventually break from the constant flexing. Take a piece of steel and keep bending it back and forth, and see what happens. Yeah, I know it's a big steel rail. But the same principals apply.
Can you make a demo video to show us what you mean? I can't imagine a flexible length of steal breaking from very slight bowing in opposite directions over an extended period of time. Bending, perhaps, but not bowing, which is what the rail in the video is doing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:
Can you make a demo video to show us what you mean? I can't imagine a flexible length of steal breaking from very slight bowing in opposite directions over an extended period of time. Bending, perhaps, but not bowing, which is what the rail in the video is doing.
It's called "ribbon rail" for a reason :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: It's called "ribbon rail" for a reason :wink:
What reason is that?

Stick rail flexes too, so it is not a characteristic exclusive to CWR.

Practice Safe CSX

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

The reason a small piece of steel will break after repeated bending is actually heat. Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth until it breaks what you are actually doing is heating them material at a sub atomic level and it makes the material harder and thus more brittle to the point where it breaks. Once you break your paperclip feel the broken end it will actually be warm.

Rail on the other hand is big and massive it would take much more energy and friction to heat it to this point, Plus the actual deflection of the rail is minimal. When you break a paperclip you are bending it 90° or more this causes internal friction between the molecules and thus your heat, rail is only flexing a few degrees so the internal friction does not develop. It is the same principal that your car frame goes through when you drive over rough terrain the frame flexes a few degrees but does not break. There are many other factors at work here as well but this is the main factor.

Thus ends today's engineering lecture. I may have gotten a few points wrong but that is the jist of what I have learned over the years of working in an Engineering department and as a Machinist.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Good post, Kerry.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

If welded rail didn't flex, how would welded rail trains go around curves?
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Jochs wrote:If welded rail didn't flex, how would welded rail trains go around curves?
If welded rail didn't flex, welded rail trains wouldn't be able to go around curves, because there would be no curves, because welded rail didn't flex...

:wink:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Finally, a thread that doesn't suck. Good work everyone.