Accidents/Incidents while chasing trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BRgroat
Railroadfan...fan

Accidents/Incidents while chasing trains

Unread post by BRgroat »

Has anyone else gotten into a car accident/incident of any sort while going after trains?

I have had a couple of them.

A couple of days before Thanksgiving I was going after the Pere Marquette Amtrak train on its way to its bedroom (Fuller Junction), but I took a wrong turn and ended up on an icy street. I slid and almost hid a person.
After that, I decided to hold off on train chasing until we got a thaw, with the exception of the Santa Train.

Then, last week when we had a thaw, and I heard a train, I decided to go after it, since I thought I could drive safely.
I had forgotten about the high drifts.
I drove to Fuller Junction, but did not see any trains. I tried driving south of the yard, but still found nothing.
I drove back up to Fuller Junction, and went into a parking lot in order to turn around and to try going North.
That's when it happened.
As I was coming out of the parking lot I saw a pickup coming, which I did not see before because of how high the snow drifts were. I tried to brake, but hit the gas instead. I sideswiped him.
My front bumper came off on the right side, and the pickup was slightly scratched, but it was not too bad. My father was able to fix my bumper.

Both times the victims were unhurt, and very forgiving and understanding. But now I've decided to wait until spring before I go after anymore trains.

So, has anyone else had any sort of accident/incident while going after trains? I hope I'm not the only one.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Accidents/Incidents while chasing trains

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you're doing it wrong...

Practice Safe CSX

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Glad I'm not paying your insurance.

I think I've blown three stop signs; one in Galesburg, one in Big Springs, Ohio on the CSX Indy Line, and other in Trenton, Ohio on the CSX Toledo Sub. I've hit a deer too, but I wasn't driving and it wasn't my car. I've gotten stuck in the snow a couple times this winter, only once had to get towed out. But I've never hit anything or anybody and only once been pulled over. I had my temps and it was simply for changing lanes where the line was solid. No ticket, just a warning.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Way way way back me and Russ locked the keys in my truck at Wayne. That was an experience the lock smith took Russ for a ride to get money. I thought he was gonna kid nap him
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

locked my keys in my car at Clara's in Lansing with Pudgy once... tow truck driver showed up blaring "play that funky music" really loud. Made my nite.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

BRgroat wrote:But now I've decided to wait until spring before I go after anymore trains.
Or you could just learn how to drive in the snow.
cbehr91 wrote:Glad I'm not paying your insurance.

I think I've blown three stop signs;
You think? Sheesh, I blow stop signs all the time when chasing. Pretty easy to do when you're in the middle of nowhere and you can see that there is no cross-traffic. I call it a "country stop." Heck, I've blown through a few stop signs going about 80 in rural Illinois. Flat as a pancake landscape and not a car for miles. No reason to stop.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

J T wrote:Heck, I've blown through a few stop signs going about 80 in rural Illinois. Flat as a pancake landscape and not a car for miles. No reason to stop.
A lot of cross roads in the fields of Illinois don't even have stop signs or yield signs for either direction. I guess Timetable operations rule there?

Practice Safe CSX

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Can't really comment from the chasing standpoint, but rather the "being chased" standpoint. Had some buffoon pacing us between 360 and 364 on US6, hanging out the window with a video camera, and didn't quite see the irrigation spray in full force ahead spraying over the highway. About knocked him out of the car. His driver should have warned him...
Last edited by NSSD60M on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

BRgroat wrote:I slid and almost hid a person.
Where were you going to hide the person??

Sounds like you should hold off on railfanning until you learn how to drive.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

On my way back from the Spring 2011 railroadfan.com meet in Marion/Deshler, OH I hit a deer near the OH/IN border on US 6 in.
Last edited by Jochs on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

BRgroat
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BRgroat »

Mr. Tops wrote:
BRgroat wrote:I slid and almost hid a person.
Where were you going to hide the person??
I meant hit a person.
Mr. Tops wrote:Sounds like you should hold off on railfanning until you learn how to drive.
CSX_CO wrote:I'm no expert, but it sounds like you're doing it wrong...
J T wrote:Or you could just learn how to drive in the snow.
Thank you all for your support. :roll:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

BRgroat wrote: Thank you all for your support. :roll:
Just busting your balls. You shouldn't have to give up something you enjoy just because of a little snow on the road. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

I tore off my catalytic converter/ WHOLE EXHAUST SYSTEM by hitting a concrete parking stopper in Grandville at the strip mall.... Miss that sable so much even though i couldn't use my air for fear i might die of poisoning.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Was in Fostoria back in 1999 with my three month old van. NEVER wanting to miss ANY train in Fostoria, came across the crossing heading south where the depot is that once housed the Amtrak station, and just to the south of the bar when I saw a train going around the NE trasfer heading north. Make a quick back up move to turn around and head back north myelf and sideswipped a pole on the rear side of the van. Train never called a signal that I heard, nor never called F-tower either. Fixed it myself the best I could, but traded that vehicle on a 2007 model that I still have, with the same dents in it that occured when it was just three months old. A daily reminder for seven years to that dumb move.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

My dad and I once was chasing a train next to River Oaks Soccer Park (in Galesburg). We hit an ice patch and spun out. Luckily there wasn't any traffic so we recovered quickly but we've never chased a train in the winter since.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I've probably had some close calls while chasing in the past, but none that I can remember. :D

I've had a couple of really minor things happen though, like getting stuck in the PH&D RRHS parking lot just before I joined the organization (back in 2010 or 2011 or so). CSX was unexpectedly working on a Saturday and another railfan and myself decided to verify they really were working. With a one-lane path plowed through the parking lot, I had no problem pulling up to the side of the building to see that they were indeed working. Backing up didn't go so smoothly and when the back end of the car didn't follow the beaten path quite right, we were stuck. The CSX crew was just finishing up their work, stopped the engine as they passed by on the wye, and pushed us out. They were really nice about it, but it was pretty embarrassing. :oops:

A couple weeks ago, before the snow started to melt, I had the opportunity to railfan on both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I misjudged how much of the road to the old roundhouse (Port Huron area) was plowed and buried the front end of the car in a snow bank. Spent several minutes angrily digging it out (I carry a travel size shovel in my car- this was about the third time I've had to use it) and continued on my way to the PH&D RRHS property where I got some decent late afternoon shots of a unusually clear parking lot.

On Sunday, knowing the roads were a bit slippery, I decided against heading very far away from home. This was the weekend the Huron & Eastern got multiple trains stuck in the snow, and I wanted to see the 3038 up near Towerline Road (Saginaw area), but didn't want to risk getting stuck in a snowbank that far from home. So the farthest I went that day was Emmett. I knew there was a westbound with a NS Dash9 trailing, and managed to beat it to Emmett from Port Huron. While checking signals at the west end of the siding, I barely made it over the crossing the first time. My mistake was turning around and employing more speed to avoid stopping on the crossing. More speed = stuck in another snow bank. I shoveled for several minutes before the train showed up (I got my pictures :!: Unfortunately I was on the backlit side of the train :( ) and several minutes after the train passed. One guy stopped to see how I was doing, but pointed out there was no way to tow me out. Fortunately there wasn't much left to dig and by cranking the wheels, rocking back and forth a little and hammering the gas pedal with the car in reverse, I was able to slide the front end out of the snow bank and idled back into town where I caught a second westbound from the plowed state highway.

Most annoying was the fact that in both cases the front wheels of the car (it's a front wheel drive car) were free and clear of snow, but didn't have enough grip on the surface to pull the front end out of the bank.
~ Charles W.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I do seem to recall a certain SOMEONE (who shall at this point in time remain nameless, but his/her name rhymes with Pregg Gullano), sliding into a ditch out near Otis Hill on his way to a bitter cold photo shoot, and then sending a text that to this day is still a riot to the enjoyment of all in attendance. LMFAO

(If anyone can tag that here it'd be a hoot)

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Only incident I had worth speaking of trying to watch trains was in Wyandotte,MI in 2011.. I will never show up to a scene of a break in to watch trains with a gf ever again..them rookie cops are jumpy lol.

It was cuz of the older cop with the rookie that I do my railfanning at the American Legion between the tracks lol
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Paul W
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paul W »

Why yes just last week I pulled off Wadsworth rd. to shoot HESR 800 job barely hit the shoulder of the road as I was coasting to a stop that snow just sucked the front of the Lincoln right in.....I did manage to get the shot though and a chuckle from the engineer too.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Although not with a car I was fueling up at Meijer in Mason last Friday and heard the JAIL blowing for a crossing in town. Could have sworn it sounded like he was southbound and if you know the JAIL they almost never run south during daylight. Followed tracks half way to Leslie and nothing, doubled back to Mason and nothing. Got to the engine shed and the train crew was getting into their cars. darn, well the caboose was sitting on the siding so I figured I may as well grab a couple of shots with the cell phone. Stepped out of the van took a few steps and wham right down on the ice. Fell so quick I had no time to react, I am still sore from that fall but I got up took my shots and got the heck out of there.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"