Norfolk Southern 39E 9/24/14- Pair of CN SD70M-2's

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Norfolk Southern 39E 9/24/14- Pair of CN SD70M-2's

Unread post by Ypsi »

Wednesday afternoon I got home from class and was eating some lunch when I heard the NS Dearborn Dispatcher calling 39E and letting them know they would be taking the 1 main rusty rail at CP Ypsi down to Wayne as there was not enough time to get them toe Wayne junction on the 2 main, and then back onto the 1 before Amtrak would be on top of them. I knew they were a bit west of me so I decided that when I heard them at mp 35 I would head on into town to get a shot from the prospect road bridge of a freight in daylight. I discovered this shot last week when I shot 350 heading around the curve, which is supposed to be the tightest curve on the Michigan Central. 39E cleared 35 east and I headed out to prospect road, as I was on the way they cleared 32 and then got the approach at 30 east in preparation for the stop at CP Ypsi. As I set up I heard them sound for Lefordge road, then into depot town as they closed in on my position. Finally they came into view with the pair of CN SD70M-2's on point of a decent sized train. As they neared and passed under me they continued to slow their train down until they finally came to a stop 2 car lengths short of the bridge I was set up on.

NS 39E heads east and stops at CP Ypsi:

I took a couple pictures (as you can hear) and ended up with this as my final product of the train. The sun is a little behind the train as it was just after 3pm, but I still like the shot, and was happy to get a freight train rolling around the curve.

ImageNS 39E with CN SD70M-2's Ypsilanti by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Overall I like the shot and look forward to using it in the winter when the leaves are gone and maybe I can shoot an EB in snow and cloud cover. It was also interesting to get to watch the freight train from above. Thanks for watching and reading! 8)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Re: Norfolk Southern 39E 9/24/14- Pair of CN SD70M-2's

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

I'm not positive but I'm fairly sure that the curve in Dexter is the tightest on the MI line.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Norfolk Southern 39E 9/24/14- Pair of CN SD70M-2's

Unread post by Saturnalia »

JANGAJONGA wrote:I'm not positive but I'm fairly sure that the curve in Dexter is the tightest on the MI line.
The charts show Ypsi is sharper than Dexter...quite a bit so, too.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow