Joliet Union Station Closed - Visit before the end

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Joliet Union Station Closed - Visit before the end

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Here is a piece I put together out of my film from Joliet I took during my Santa Fe trip. I shot much more than I could use in the main feature, so there are several train in here not in the previous film. Note I did base the narration a little into the future, so I has some changes noted that aren't finished yet.

End of an Era: Joliet Union Station CLOSED - Visit in its Final Days

On September 26th, 2014, Metra turned out the light on Joliet Union Station. Following the morning rush, operations were moved to new platforms in the northeast quadrant of the junction, opposite the century-old JUS.

Visit in early August, while the station was still fully in operation, and watch three hours worth of action at the busy crossroads. 14 Trains are seen - nearly 5 per hour. There are multi-way meets, races, and more!

Trains continue to use the busy junction, but major changes are in store as Joliet upgrades its infrastructure for the 21st Century.

***Note: published with statements that conclude changes in progress as of Oct-2014 are complete. This was done to keep the video narration relevant farther into the future. Also, I hear that the platform fence is confirmed to be going in and the platform opening in the near future. This is great! I had not been able to find any sources to confirm this as of production***

Filmed from 12:00 to 15:00 CDT, on August 10, 2014. Joliet Union Station, Joliet, Illinois!

Don't forget to check out: BNSF's Chillicothe Sub - a Modern Superhighway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5m7qgisty0

Sources:
http://www.blackhawknrhs.org/joliet.htm
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps ... OLIET.html

Thanks for watching! Don’t forget to share this video, like and subscribe to Thornapple River Rail Series!

Like TRRS on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/thornappleriverproductions

Copyright 2014 Thornapple River Rail Series
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Joliet Union Station Closed - Visit before the end

Unread post by ~Z~ »

On your video where the camera was between the two sets of tracks, did you stay standing there? If so, I've done the same.. very unsmart move though, and won't be doing that again.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=173425
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

~Z~ wrote:On your video where the camera was between the two sets of tracks, did you stay standing there? If so, I've done the same.. very unsmart move though, and won't be doing that again.
Yeah I did...I can see where it can be dangerous...but it was two intermodal trains (usually tame for flying equipment, unlike a manifest).

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Will have to watch the video still, but Joliet Union station was a neat place to fan, really cool to see an intermodal race a coal drag over the diamond or a meet there. The constant sound of a train or two hitting the diamond was really neat. Hopefully the platforms at least (maybe just the ones not between tracks) will still be available for fanning in the future.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:(maybe just the ones not between tracks)
The platform between the BNSF mains is being/was removed, and a new platform added between the UP/CN Mains, like it once was with the BNSF tracks. Sounds like they're gonna want railfans on the old platforms (with fencing added), and off the commuter platforms for the most part. Sounds like the tower will be staying because it is an integral part of the elevation's retaining wall.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Yeah I did...I can see where it can be dangerous...but it was two intermodal trains (usually tame for flying equipment, unlike a manifest).
Intermodal cars still have brake shoes, chains, brake equipment, etc. They also have interbox connectors that like to fall off the cars if someone forgets to pick them all up.

Not smart to stand close to ANY moving train.

Practice Safe CSX

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:On your video where the camera was between the two sets of tracks, did you stay standing there? If so, I've done the same.. very unsmart move though, and won't be doing that again.
Yeah I did...I can see where it can be dangerous...but it was two intermodal trains (usually tame for flying equipment, unlike a manifest).
What do you do when the usually is not there and you get hit by a piece of metal moving at a clip that could seriously injure you? Be smarter MQT.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

GR8 JOB.......of risking permanent injury to get that shot off.
Exit stage left

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

redside20 wrote:GR8 JOB.......of risking permanent injury to get that shot off.
I feel the risk was negligible. Probably more likely that I would have been injured/killed in the hundreds of miles that we drove that weekend than being between those two intermodal trains.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:
redside20 wrote:GR8 JOB.......of risking permanent injury to get that shot off.
I feel the risk was negligible. Probably more likely that I would have been injured/killed in the hundreds of miles that we drove that weekend than being between those two intermodal trains.
So you are gonna argue with us folks who have been around longer than you about whether that was a good idea or not? C'mon man, can you for once admit you did a really stupid thing? :roll:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

A callious attitude towards the equipment is how you do get hurt. As embassidors of the hobby railfans are supposed to be respectful of the equipment, and safety minded. Not leaving yourself an out is very dangerous.

Even paying attention and doing what I'm supposed to do, I've had a few close calls when equipment breaks. Had a brake pipe break on an engine at the angle cock one night when we cut away. It whipped around and almost hit the side of my head. Thankfully I had turned my head and started to turn away as I was trained and avoided serious injury. Yes, the risks of getting hurt are small, but it still can happen at any time.

I really feel bad for you since you truly are unable to admit making a mistake. Hopefully some day you will learn you are not infallible and capable of mistakes like every other human.

Practice Safe CSX

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

Based on this discussion, I am about to make a needless "mistake". See, I am about to get in my crossover and drive to work. You see, this is a known very dangerous activity, and in fact, today in Michigan alone likely three people will die doing this. Plus there will be many accidents and countless close calls, in large part caused by drivers knowingly driving dangerously by texting, gunning thru intersections as the light turns red, etc. And very soon those dang deer will become active and we'll have plenty of car/deer accidents (Kent County has the highest rate of such in the nation). I guess I could ride my bike, but wait, that is a mistake too. You see, just last week the husband of one of my co-workers was run over by a driver as he rode his bike to work, like he did every day the weather permitted.

Yes, I agree, being that close to moving rail equipment has a level of danger. And yes, the decision was made to film from that location. But the risk was evaluated and determined to be negligible. Thankfully, we've got great, hard working folks working for the railroads making that mode of transportation safe and sound in virtually every instance. Us railfans are very appreciative of those efforts!!

Have a great, and safe, day everyone :D
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Patriot wrote:Based on this discussion, I am about to make a needless "mistake". See, I am about to get in my crossover and drive to work.
And to mitigate some of that risk, your surrounding yourself with an engineered cage to help increase your chances of survival should you hit something. You're really comparing apples to oranges. Thats why cars are engineered the way they are, to help mitigate the risk (as much as possible and to a point) to the driver. It is a necessary 'evil' unless you want to live where you work, and never leave the hosue. How did MQT help his chances of survival by being where he was at? He deliberately increased his risk and exposure. But, whatever, keep doing what you're doing because the risk is negligible.
Patriot wrote: Yes, I agree, being that close to moving rail equipment has a level of danger. And yes, the decision was made to film from that location. But the risk was evaluated and determined to be negligible.
HE determined it to be negligible, we're trying to instruct otherwise, as a teaching point to him and others. He did it because he cannot comprehend a reality where he is capable of being wrong on an assumption. Just look at his post history, full of incorrect assumptions, and a failure to admit to being incorrect on them. Others come in here to offer some advice, teach others, and bah its ok, he's fine.

Bottom line, there is a reason why the railroads want their employees back away from tracks with movement on them. Railfans should be back away from the track for the same reasons. IT IS UNSAFE to be that close. There is also a reason why railroads want employees to face the direction the movement is coming from, to see any possible problems as it comes to them. Filming with your back to a train violates another good safety point, face the train as it is coming towards you. They especially don't want you caught in between two trains moving at the same time if at all possible, and if you do get caught (you shouldn't, but whatever) they instruct you to sit down between them to avoid the vertigo feeling that could cause you to fall into one or the other. You don't have to be right next to them to feel it. I've worked a tower job where I had 5 trains all moving on parallel tracks, all at once. Even at 40' in the air, seeing your entire field of view in movement, and going different directions, gave me a sea sick feeling. Your brain cannot compute all that movement at once, hence the feeling. Railfans are apparently immune to that, and can keep right on filming. Site owner even related his own experience to that feeling at that very spot, but I guess everyone else is still OK, because the risk is negligible as you say....

Despite having a video camera, scanner, a little knowledge, still makes you the 'general public' when you're trackside. The least railfans could do, as ambassadors of the hobby and industry, is show the same level of awareness and respect to the equipment as the railroad does.
Patriot wrote: Thankfully, we've got great, hard working folks working for the railroads making that mode of transportation safe and sound in virtually every instance. Us railfans are very appreciative of those efforts!!
What if I told you every railroad car out there, except those on a maiden run, could be shopped for some defect? We had a car come in last week that had had its brake rigging DUCT TAPED together to keep it from dragging. It had not happened on line of road, as we weren't told the car was going to be a shop car upon arrival, it was discovered once in the yard. That means it had been running at least one trip with its brake rigging duct taped together by someone. When something falls on line of road, zip ties are the preferred method to hold it back up until the car reaches the destination or next forward repair point where more permanent repairs can be made. I had a brake line weld brake on one trip (broke when it hit a diamond) and I facilitated repairs using a spare angle bar and track bolt. I had hand tightened it, so definite possibility it could have worked loose until we reached Garrett where we could set it out for proper repairs.

Take a look around diamonds (which there is one a Joliet no less) and you'll see all manner of stuff laying around the periphery. Diamonds are great at knocking brake shoes loose, brake rigging, anything setting on the deck of a car, etc. You especially want to be clear of cars crossing a diamond, especially at any speed.

So, fine, whatever, ignore the advice of others, ignore the advice of the railroad rule books, and everyone keep doing what you're doing. The risk is negligible after all. Anything for that shot.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Yeah I did...I can see where it can be dangerous...but it was two intermodal trains (usually tame for flying equipment, unlike a manifest).
Intermodal cars still have brake shoes, chains, brake equipment, etc. They also have interbox connectors that like to fall off the cars if someone forgets to pick them all up.
On more than one occasion I've seen the container/trailer doors open and flapping side to side on a moving train. I don't know if that could endanger someone standing where the video was taken but at my age I wouldn't take the chance. Although at MQT's age I might have tried it :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

I had the opportunity to ride the Canadian this summer. The vantage point I had from the dome gave me the opportunity to view railroaders interacting as close to first hand as a passenger can get. We had many meets with other trains, Track Equipment, and maintainers. All of whom gave us roll by inspections. Two things were constant. First, everybody stood well back, at least 30 feet, from the Canadian. Second, they all put something between themselves and the passing train. For trainmen on the ground, that usually meant standing on the far corner of their locomotive. If something were to come their way, they could duck behind the pilot of their locomotive. Track workers would dismount their vehicles, group up well back of the tracks, and often stand behind their equipment. Same thing with maintainers. If they do all these things to protect themselves, I have a hard time believing that the situation MQT was in could even be justified as safe.
My house sits less than 100 feet from the Michigan line, and I often go out next to the ROW to watch the Amtraks and 38/38E. Been doing this for 14 years. never have had an issue with anything. Doesn't mean I would dare get closer than I am. Always crosses my mind and I am always watching for dragging equipment/ flying objects.

I don't mean to say repeat what others have already said, but unfortunately past experience factors into our perception of others responses. Hoping this is interpreted as unbiased.

On a side note, this thread is looking to be on the path to lockinghood :D
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

As a conductor, I've always wanted to try this:

Looks like it would have been a perfect opportunity! Unfortunately, I'm only qualified as far north as Global 4.

CSX_CO is spot on. While there is risk in EVERYTHING we do, this is not a responsible risk to take. This is NOT like the risk you run when driving a car, whatsoever. You CAN however, practice defensive driving to reduce the risk, as you should also practice defensive railfanning. Not only is this dangerous to you, this is the kind of mindless activity that gives railfans a bad name and favorite areas turned to forbidden property. You make yourself look like a spectacle to train crews, you might have even been turned into the dispatcher by one of the crews. I know some people I work with would have reported you.

When doing rollby inspections, by rule of thumb, conductors stand behind the front of the locomotive to protect themsleves from any potential flying debris. By RULE, conductors are only to perform a rollby inspection when there is a safe location to do so which includes an available escape route. Likewise, as a railfan standing too close, if one of these trains were to derail at the interlocking, you'd have nowhere to go. And the next time you're by the tracks, look around for brakeshoes, springs, etc. I can also vouch for the intermodal container stacking locks; I have found those on numerous occasions along the ROW while walking my train. Just because you've never seen these things happen, doesn't mean they don't happen.

Patriot

Unread post by Patriot »

Notwithstanding any of the comments posted since my post this morning --- what I was trying to get at was my driving to work this morning was likely more dangerous than standing on the Joliet Union Station platform from where the vidoe was taken. Was there an element of potential danger on the platform, of course. Was the likelihood of getting injured standing on the platform negligible, I believe so. Was it the right thing to do --- experienced railroaders clearly think not.

BTW --- one of the coolest things I have ever done is stand at the end of pit road next to the 2-foot pit wall at MIS during Sprint Cup practice and have cars scream by at over 100 mph at about 15 yards away!! And they charge me $60.00 for the pit pass in order to do it!!

Power and Speed --- :twisted:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Patriot wrote:Notwithstanding any of the comments posted since my post this morning ---
I hope you don't pass you're irresponsible behavior around the tracks to your kids. If hate to have to say like father like son. I would hope a supposed adult would know better...

Patriot

Unread post by Patriot »

If you are referring to my behavior around the tracks to being at MIS....a few hundred people buy pit passes for the practices and qualifying activities on Friday and Saturday, which in part allows you in the pit area during such activities. Just the pit wall between you and pit road. Nascar is awesome in letting the fans get close to the cars, drivers and crews. There is a speed limit on pit road during the race, but for practices they let it rip!! Just wish the pit passes allowed access to the garage area too!

If you were referring my behavior around tracks to being near the railroad....rest assured that I am quite responsible, rarley getting out of my car. I don't video, and rarely even take a picture.

I'll have to let my wife know that someone thinks I might be irresponsible....she generally thinks I am pretty boring.

Have a good one!!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Patriot wrote: If you were referring my behavior around tracks to being near the railroad....rest assured that I am quite responsible, rarley getting out of my car. I don't video, and rarely even take a picture
You would be a good role model for MQT3001 then. It is unfortunate his father doesn't set such a good example for him, that or doesn't reign him in when he does something dangerous like what he did. If my child takes an interest in trains, then I'm going to teach them the responsible way to behave around the tracks. I for one would never let my kid get between two moving freight trains because of the dangers. No more than I would let him get out on I-94 and stand in traffic. That is really what it is akin to.

Practice Safe CSX