Michigan Shortlines Updates - October 2014

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Michigan Shortlines Updates - October 2014

Unread post by AARR »

~Z~ wrote:Per TheVariance, there's a work truck and crane working on Michigan Shore north of North Yard in Muskegon, up near the power plant.
Their putting a spur into the plant. Supposed to average a unit train of coal every 3 days. :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Per TheVariance, there's a work truck and crane working on Michigan Shore north of North Yard in Muskegon, up near the power plant.
Their putting a spur into the plant. Supposed to average a unit train of coal every 3 days. :wink:
A more likely scenario would be the installation of a spur on which to spot cars for demolition debris.... :cry:

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

GLC returns to Cadillac at 1600 with a string of 14-15 hoppers of ties. Heard them leave town around 0930.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

17:55 EDT GDLK NB 50TH ST IN WYOMING WITH WSOR 4076,4077 AND 43 CARS.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

trnwatcher wrote:17:55 EDT GDLK NB 50TH ST IN WYOMING WITH WSOR 4076,4077 AND 43 CARS.
:x :x :x :x :x

I KNEW IT!! Grrrrrrrrrr. I was heading north on 131 and saw the train stopped just south of 54th, but I couldn't see the power. I then got off at Burton to check the view from the overpass to see how the color was in the trees surrounding the tracks. For a moment I pondered driving back down there to see if it was the WSOR power, but instead I continued on home.

FAIL.

Son of a...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Has much grain started moving on the GLC? haven't heard of any unit trains.

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- EB Leonard/Plainfield at 9:55 with 7 CHs and 1 tank.
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Patriot wrote:GRE --- EB Leonard/Plainfield at 9:55 with 7 CHs and 1 tank.
Sounds like the cut that was up by the house yesterday...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Patriot

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- WB Leonard/Plainfield at 2:00 with 10 CHs and 2 tanks.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Northbound GLC

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Coming down US131 South of Kalkaska, I spotted GLC train with two locos (obscured by trees), a horrid looking green MKT shorty plus 15 or so tank cars painted black with some blue ones mixed in. Not sure but may have been the ones sitting on the northern edge of the wye at Walton Junction. Crossed at M113 and didn't see them at quick glance.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Northbound GLC

MIGN-Todd wrote:Coming down US131 South of Kalkaska, I spotted GLC train with two locos (obscured by trees), a horrid looking green MKT shorty plus 15 or so tank cars painted black with some blue ones mixed in. Not sure but may have been the ones sitting on the northern edge of the wye at Walton Junction. Crossed at M113 and didn't see them at quick glance.
GLC 396 and 398 went north out of Cadillac around 1200. Saw them switching Selma yard around 1030. There was 1 loaded centerbeam and a few empty pulpwood flats for Manton. Don't know if the centerbeam went north today. Passenger consist has been moved to Selma Yard from North Yard.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

MMRR 2057 just went south from north yard in muskegon with 2 rusty old 3 bay sandies for Henry street yard. Switch restored for the main where tonights southbound is built. 2019 and 3885 have 627 tonight.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 396 and 398 returned to Cadillac from the north around 1400. Pulled 1 empty centerbeam and 3 loads of poles from Manton into Selma Yard. Did about 45 minutes of switching before they retired for the day.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

2019 leading Michigan shore south through Norton shores 11:05. Finished work at bay logistics, no setout, pickup 1. 11:23 all lined for the main. 11:36 all lined up at the bridge. Southbound consist 2019, 3885, 1 box, 16 Sandies (Lincoln) and 2 tanks (webb) 19 total for Waverly.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

csx801 wrote:Finished work at bay logistics, no setout, pickup 1. Southbound consist 1 box,
Would you happen to know if the box car is from Shape? Reason I ask is I read the Shape traffic had slowed down if not stopped but was expected to pick up again. Also, at one time Bay was supposed to handle newsprint but I'm not sure if that traffic ever materialized.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

AARR wrote:
csx801 wrote:Finished work at bay logistics, no setout, pickup 1. Southbound consist 1 box,
Would you happen to know if the box car is from Shape? Reason I ask is I read the Shape traffic had slowed down if not stopped but was expected to pick up again. Also, at one time Bay was supposed to handle newsprint but I'm not sure if that traffic ever materialized.
Doubt there is any newsprint at Bay. GR Press appears to be all truck.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

AARR wrote:
Starting last january, Shape co. cut almost all of their shipments via rail. I heard something about a new facility in Chicago that they were shipping from that they are now trucking to??? (don't quote me on that). From what I know, they are only shipping a very small fraction by rail now, about a car or two a week. this is down from 2 to 4 cars a night average prior to last year.

As for business picking back up, based off personal observation, shipments go through annual ups and downs. Usually from winter to late summer shipments drop back by a large percentage (probably less than a car or two per week). During fall and early winter months, however, shipments usually jump to a few per week again. This compared to previous years prior to reduction in shipments; the difference would be seen by car total. then, the average would be 2 or 3 per night spring and summer, 3 to 5 (maximum 7) during the fall and winter months.

Newsprint business never really took off from Bay logistics unfortunately. I remember seeing CSX deliver a few high cubes a long time ago but it never lasted. even those may have just been early shipments from Shape and not press inbounds.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 398 and 396 left Cadillac towards Clare at 0920 with the color tour consist, 3 flats of poles from Manton, 1 empty centerbeam and 8 sand hoppers.

GLC returned to Cadillac at 1525 with at least 6 sand hoppers, 6 or 7 coke hoppers, 2 loads of poles for Mcbain, 1 loaded centerbeam and 9 tank cars.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Grand Elk just departed south from Hughart Yard in GR. WSOR 4077 leading if I heard right. First stop is at Green Valley in Moline.

Patriot

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- EB Leonard/Plainfield at 8:30 with 12 CHs