Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

If the oil would be coming from Alberta etc. I'm thinking it'd be handed off to the CF&E. Why drag it down to Detroit, and hand it off to the I&O there?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Not to jump around on things but has Pioneer replaced any signals or signage along the old MAW? In some places there are some really ancient signals that are museum pieces. While most are in their natural "habitat", I have seen a few of the signals don't work anymore. Is Pioneer focused on primarily the track right now? Do the current speeds not warrant signal upgrades at grade crossings?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

MQT1223 wrote:Not to jump around on things but has Pioneer replaced any signals or signage along the old MAW? In some places there are some really ancient signals that are museum pieces. While most are in their natural "habitat", I have seen a few of the signals don't work anymore. Is Pioneer focused on primarily the track right now? Do the current speeds not warrant signal upgrades at grade crossings?
Most of the crossing protection in Napoleon has been updated thanks to the state of Ohio.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Indeed I believe that's the rumored explanation of why the CFE. New traffic such as that is not restricted by the lease terms with CSX on the line.
MSchwiebert wrote:If the oil would be coming from Alberta etc. I'm thinking it'd be handed off to the CF&E. Why drag it down to Detroit, and hand it off to the I&O there?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

From a very reliable source it was not the ND&W that had the diamond pulled but the previous regime just before the end which makes sense considering all the money grubbing they (he) were (was) doing before the end.
Last edited by MagnumForce on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

JoJames wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Not to jump around on things but has Pioneer replaced any signals or signage along the old MAW? In some places there are some really ancient signals that are museum pieces. While most are in their natural "habitat", I have seen a few of the signals don't work anymore. Is Pioneer focused on primarily the track right now? Do the current speeds not warrant signal upgrades at grade crossings?
Most of the crossing protection in Napoleon has been updated thanks to the state of Ohio.
With just crossbucks or actual signals? Some of the signals on portions of the line are so old that the track detection is still set from when high speed trains used to travel up and down that line. They will activate and deactivate way too long before and after the train has entered and exited the crossing.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

MQT1223 wrote:
JoJames wrote:
With just crossbucks or actual signals? Some of the signals on portions of the line are so old that the track detection is still set from when high speed trains used to travel up and down that line. They will activate and deactivate way too long before and after the train has entered and exited the crossing.

New signals with gates and lights. City of Napoleon really pushed hard to have them installed.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

On the agenda for this month's ORDC meeting - a $200,000 Grant for the MAW to "assist with defferred maintenance".
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Ra ... 202014.pdf

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

JoJames wrote:New signals with gates and lights. City of Napoleon really pushed hard to have them installed.

Most of what was there hadn't really worked in quite some time.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

JoJames wrote: New signals with gates and lights. City of Napoleon really pushed hard to have them installed.
Does this mean the Route 6/24 crossing in Napoleon received new lights and gates, too?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

bluestreak81 wrote:
JoJames wrote: New signals with gates and lights. City of Napoleon really pushed hard to have them installed.
Does this mean the Route 6/24 crossing in Napoleon received new lights and gates, too?
No upgrades there. Still has exempt status.
Bottom text.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Y@ wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:
No upgrades there. Still has exempt status.
Anybody have any photos of upgraded crossings to see the extent of the work done by the ND&W?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Ohio Rail Dev Commission meeting agenda for Thursday includes ND&W Phase 3. So more grant money should be coming.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Money pit getting fed again.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

60Tonner wrote:Money pit getting fed again.
This is one pit I don't mind feeding, Ken 8)

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The ND&W is not a money pit. They do quite well for a a shortline.
Bottom text.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Y@ wrote:The ND&W is not a money pit. They do quite well for a a shortline.

With taxpayer money this line should be doing well. Go back to day one of being a shortline and see how many millions has been put into the swamp line. Look at the crooked people who have profited off it. There isn't enough business really to run it without outside money.Are they paying taxes or is that being abated by places it passes thru?

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

60Tonner wrote:

With taxpayer money this line should be doing well. Go back to day one of being a shortline and see how many millions has been put into the swamp line. Look at the crooked people who have profited off it. There isn't enough business really to run it without outside money.Are they paying taxes or is that being abated by places it passes thru?
I hope you are not calling Pioneer's employees crooked?
Apparently I work on GEs now...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Bulby wrote:
60Tonner wrote:

I hope you are not calling Pioneer's employees crooked?
From what I've read from others at this site there is speculation that MAW, not ND&W, may not have invested all the money allocated to them in their railroad. I don't have any knowledge if that is true or not.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...