The new grand elk railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: The new grand elk railroad

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

PatAzo wrote:My Grand Elk friends say NS and Grand Elk are working out an arrangement to send NS's Battle Creek cars through Elkhart up to Kalamazoo instead of Jackson. NS will come over from Battle Creek and pick them up at Gerhart. There is a contractor working in Gerhart getting out of service tracks back into service to give them the room to do this.
Well I'll be darned. NS hasn't had much of an official presence in Kalamazoo since 2009 when they packed up and left. It'll be nice to see the Horseheads around downtown again.

If I am correct, a pair of Geeps usually does the Hinman Yard work. Unless NS bases something else out of BC then I feel like it's a good bet that we'll see the Geeps. Can anyone confirm what the yard power is in BC? I feel likey information is ancient.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Assuming 302 would handle these in addition to its regular cars? Or is there a chance more 6 axle power could be coming too? How many cars come over from Jackson to BC? Those of us south in the state would not know how many cars were talking daily weekly etc? Just curious. I looked at my Conrail day pictures of the local power in Three Rivers that was tied up every day at GM siding. Lots of GP38's and GP15's in those days sometimes twins of both sometimes one of each. If this happens were back to the NYC days. Of course the TR local had 5-6 trains to contend with as far as getting out of the way in those days. Albion had a local too.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Yes, usually a pair of Geeps work out of Hinman Yard. Maybe 100 cars a week thru BC as a guestimate? It varies quite a bit. Someone from NS lurking here might be able to give more solid numbers.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I would guess 100 cars a week would be a tad on the high side. From what I've seen the train from Wayne to Jackson averages 40-45 cars a day, and that includes everything from Albion to Chelsea, plus JAIL

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

*bump*

An X-ray(?) truck was headed south on the GDLK this morning during 2nd Hour at Loy Norrix (making it between 0849 and 0959). Not sure if this is just a regular inspection or something to indicate an inspection before a pickup in traffic, maybe someone can explain further.

Also, a train went south about 20 minutes after the truck did. A LOT of boxes in the consist with a few tanks and a few CHs. I think it had two Geeps leading (making it one of the locals?) but it appears that my teacher makes a better door than a window :lol:

The train was at least 30 cars long, mostly boxes. Who on the line receives that many boxcars?!

Thanks!

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Customer in Bristol not sure of the name,need help AARR on this? Also International Paper in Three Rivers and the paper mills in White Piegon and Sturgis which MSO would deliver to end user. Still wondering about the survey stakes along US-131 between CP Cowling and Park? All power poles are marked with red ribbon and are wooden not metal like they'll be removed? I'm going to check with MDOT foreman and AEP person to see if the Elk might be expanding there?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Super Chief wrote:Customer in Bristol not sure of the name,need help AARR on this?
Are you thinking of the lumber company? BlueLink or something like that. I'll look it up later.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

Sunday there was a mini-hoe digging along the tracks between the crossing signals on N. Main and Cowling. There were also 2 of the "CDL" pick up trucks parked in Frankie's lot. They were out there a good part of the day digging for something.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

CP-COWLING Switch has been acting up and crews are manually setting the switch. I believe they were running new cable to it to get it working like it should. I saw them as well.
ThreeRiversChris wrote:Sunday there was a mini-hoe digging along the tracks between the crossing signals on N. Main and Cowling. There were also 2 of the "CDL" pick up trucks parked in Frankie's lot. They were out there a good part of the day digging for something.
THANKS M. SHIREY

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

There is a piece of equipment sitting at Cowling right now. It's too dark to tell what it is but it looks pretty shiny like it might be fairly new? Maybe a ballast spreader?

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I am hearing NS is running to Kalamazoo from the east now. Anyone hear the same..

GTW

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

I hope so...I haven't heard anything myself however it will make Kalamazoo a more interesting place to 'fan.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

GTW wrote:I am hearing NS is running to Kalamazoo from the east now. Anyone hear the same..

GTW
No, not yet.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

The agreement starts next month. The rehab of Gearhart yard is now finished by the contractor due in part to favorable weather we've had. With that behind them the thoroughbreds will have room for their cars too. There was an NS SD70 on the Kazoo branch south last week and the Elk seems to have 4 running 6-axle units available for now for road trains. Only 4124 still OOS. Robert Weed in Bristol is another big box car customer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

What all happened to Gearhart? Just rehabbing existing but OOS tracks?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

MQT3001 wrote:What all happened to Gearhart? Just rehabbing existing but OOS tracks?
Yes, all 18 tracks are going back in service. It's been a long time since the whole yard was in service. They say Hugert will get the same treatment.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

PatAzo wrote:
Yes, all 18 tracks are going back in service. It's been a long time since the whole yard was in service. They say Hugert will get the same treatment.
How many yard tracks are in Gearhart? Even though I've lived in Kalamazoo almost my whole life I don't know how many tracks there are.

Also, why is Hugart getting the same treatment? Extra storage for NS cars, I take it?

It's great news that NS will be back, at least a little bit. I remember seeing the ex-Conrail geeps going out on B-1-G almost every morning...good times.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I'd wager to guess because Hugart hardly ever seems to have any clear tracks with all the cars they have up there now and the number of tracks that are out of service. That yard would need a rehab regardless of any new NS business, and I highly doubt they'd take NS traffic going east all the way up to GR just to "store it".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NSSD70ACe wrote:How many yard tracks are in Gearhart?
18 classification, three rip tracks and two engine leads.
NSSD70ACe wrote:Also, why is Hugart getting the same treatment? Extra storage for NS cars, I take it?
Traffic is up. They need the space. They plan on moving NS traffic up from Elkhart and handing it off to NS at Gerhart, not storing it.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Pat just what I meant. Gearhart needed some TLC anyway. Traffic flowing from the east added to the pattern Watco uses for their own road trains handing off to each other they just were at capacity for what tracks were available. They do occasionally go out to Kilgore to wye an engine but it is out of the way. Watco likes to use Hughart for the revenue car storage brings in. Fans have to realize the flow of the traffic customers actively shipping has to go the shortest distance and to the hump in Elkhart. This new agreement helps customers eastward save a little time by heading west and south. Elkhart will send it east and west. This is why the airline from Jackson to Elkhart was put back in upon the completion and dedication of the new hump in 1957. This basically is the new airline. The old airline between Three Rivers and Jackson was taken out in 1979 by Stanley Crane to save Conrail money. It will be an interesting next year on new traffic and how it's handled?