Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Stuck in mud

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by Michael »

Both good guesses gentlemen but it's out this way and by that I mean SE Michigan.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Michael wrote:Both good guesses gentlemen but it's out this way and by that I mean SE Michigan.
Kinda looks like narrow gauge, but...is it Michigan Transit Museum's line in Mt. Clemens?
~ Charles W.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
Michael wrote:Both good guesses gentlemen but it's out this way and by that I mean SE Michigan.
Kinda looks like narrow gauge, but...is it Michigan Transit Museum's line in Mt. Clemens?
It is indeed. Good job

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
It is indeed. Good job
Never heard of it.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

MQT1223 wrote:Never heard of it.
http://www.michigantransitmuseum.org/

It used to go all the way into Selfridge Air National Guard Base

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

There was a recent discussion about railroads on islands. Try this one out.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pixl wrote:Here is a better picture of the Thompsonville diamond. I regret not photographing the caboose. "JT" maybe you can grab one when you go through.
I got a few shots of the caboose today, Pixl. :)

Also, what is the ROW that goes along Karlin Rd between Nessen City and Karlin? I spotted it while driving between Thompsonville and Kingsley. Looks like a ROW that would have been abandoned in the mid-1900s. Very degraded and lots of large trees growing on it.

Following it south on the google satellite image right now, it see goes down through Copemish and there's even a "Railroad Avenue." It appears there was a diamond from another line crossing it that goes down through Mesick and on to Cadillac.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

J T wrote:Also, what is the ROW that goes along Karlin Rd between Nessen City and Karlin? I spotted it while driving between Thompsonville and Kingsley. Looks like a ROW that would have been abandoned in the mid-1900s. Very degraded and lots of large trees growing on it.
The Manistee & North Eastern Railroad
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/M ... eCoMap.htm

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:Following it south on the google satellite image right now, it see goes down through Copemish and there's even a "Railroad Avenue." It appears there was a diamond from another line crossing it that goes down through Mesick and on to Cadillac.
Two possibilities:
1. The AA that goes through Yuma to Cadillac (still in operation)
2. The original AA route between Mesick and Boon or Henrietta
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

Pixl wrote:There was a recent discussion about railroads on islands. Try this one out.

The bridge over the Menominee River on the old C&NW mainline between Menominee and Marinette.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Michael wrote:
J T wrote:Also, what is the ROW that goes along Karlin Rd between Nessen City and Karlin? I spotted it while driving between Thompsonville and Kingsley. Looks like a ROW that would have been abandoned in the mid-1900s. Very degraded and lots of large trees growing on it.
The Manistee & North Eastern Railroad
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/M ... eCoMap.htm
Aha! Looks like it ended in 1955. My observation was pretty close. :) Thanks for the info. Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manistee_a ... n_Railroad

Edit: I hadn't even noticed that Pixl posted that same map image on the previous page.
AARR wrote: Two possibilities:
1. The AA that goes through Yuma to Cadillac (still in operation)
2. The original AA route between Mesick and Boon or Henrietta
Nope and nope. See above. :wink:
Last edited by J T on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pixl wrote:Here is a better picture of the Thompsonville diamond. I regret not photographing the caboose. "JT" maybe you can grab one when you go through.
:D

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:Image
That is in Utica. It's the lead to the old Ford sewing plant off the CR Utica Secondary. In a short distance it goes underneath Mound Rd. In the 1990's CR would switch the plant 2x per day pulling 9-12 86' hi-cube box cars each time. They also delivered coal. Later, they made plastic products and there would be deliveries of plastic pellets along with much smaller blocks of 86' box cars, perhaps 3-4 each day. Now, it is rubble.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:
Michael wrote:Image
That is in Utica. It's the lead to the old Ford sewing plant off the CR Utica Secondary. In a short distance it goes underneath Mound Rd. In the 1990's CR would switch the plant 2x per day pulling 9-12 86' hi-cube box cars each time. They also delivered coal. Later, they made plastic products and there would be deliveries of plastic pellets along with much smaller blocks of 86' box cars, perhaps 3-4 each day. Now, it is rubble.

Can you be more specific?

:lol: Good job AARR

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Michael wrote:Can you be more specific?
:lol: Good job AARR
Yes, that's 22 Mile Rd just west of Mound Rd :lol:

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

James Sofonia

Burb8145 wrote:
Pixl wrote:There was a recent discussion about railroads on islands. Try this one out.

The bridge over the Menominee River on the old C&NW mainline between Menominee and Marinette.
Burb, you are correct. Took about 4 hours for an answer this time. My other pictures have been solved in less than 2 minutes. Have you been thru here before? There is a nice rv park just out of the picture that I have camped at a few times. Nice area.

James Sofonia

JT,

Nice shot of the Thompsonville caboose!
Yes I'm sure you were following the Manistee & N.E. road bed. Thats a good one to trace out the whole route.