Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by AARR »

I'm thinking it could be Tecumseh or Clinton but the ballast looks to good for either :?
Michael wrote:Image
GLC just south of Shepard
I just looked at the area just south of Shepard and your guess is excellent. The areas are near identical in street view but that is not it.
What is unique about the photo I posted is the tracks themselves. They are neither Class 1 nor Short line but still actively used.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote:Lawrence?

No, not Lawrence. Gota go NE from there.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:I'm thinking it could be Tecumseh or Clinton but the ballast looks to good for either :?
I just looked at the area just south of Shepard and your guess is excellent. The areas are near identical in street view but that is not it.
What is unique about the photo I posted is the tracks themselves. They are neither Class 1 nor Short line but still actively used.
It has to be the Huck then. Regularly used, tidy tracks, neither class one or short line. The tracks appear to be too narrow to be standard gauge yet the photo distorts that. Heading SW from the East Loop towards the Trestle over the small portion of Mott Lake? Your closer to Mott Lake then Genesee Road? If you were heading towards Genesee Road it would look more open. The folks down there keep there tracks clean and tidy. :D Probably the easiest spot to pace in the entire state.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The ballast/tracks do not look in good shape. I'm think it's either on HESR in the thumb or LSRC on line to Alpena. Are either of those guesses close?
Pixl wrote:Lawrence? No, not Lawrence. Gota go NE from there.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

MQT1223 wrote:
AARR wrote:I'm thinking it could be Tecumseh or Clinton but the ballast looks to good for either :?
It has to be the Huck then. Regularly used, tidy tracks, neither class one or short line. The tracks appear to be too narrow to be standard gauge yet the photo distorts that. Heading SW from the East Loop towards the Trestle over the small portion of Mott Lake? Your closer to Mott Lake then Genesee Road? If you were heading towards Genesee Road it would look more open. The folks down there keep there tracks clean and tidy. :D Probably the easiest spot to pace in the entire state.
You got it. This is a little stretch of Stanley Road

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:The ballast/tracks do not look in good shape. I'm think it's either on HESR in the thumb or LSRC on line to Alpena. Are either of those guesses close?
Pixl wrote:Lawrence? No, not Lawrence. Gota go NE from there.
The track condition is a good observation. It's on the HESR.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

South Niagara Street in Saginaw. This is the trackage that goes to Paines.

James Sofonia

GTW6401 wrote:South Niagara Street in Saginaw. This is the trackage that goes to Paines.
You are correct! Good hunting. The building houses a bait and tackle store today. I couldn't find any info on it being a feed and grain store.

James Sofonia

Ok guys we have had "where am I" on class 1 railroads, short lines, abandoned lines, rails to trails and what ever. But here is a underwater railroad! This railroad grade now with a mile of it under water was in service long before the lake was here.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Fri May 22, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Thats^^^^^^^^^^ COOL ! And I have no idea.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

Pixl wrote:This railroad grade now with 1 mile of it under water was in service long before the lake was here.
Is that a tunnel or an abandoned track?

James Sofonia

59caddy wrote:
Pixl wrote:This railroad grade now with 1 mile of it under water was in service long before the lake was here.
Is that a tunnel or an abandoned track?
It is abandoned rail grade. Although abandoned at the time, the railroad had not pulled up the rails yet when a dam was put in and the lake created. The rails were later salvaged with steam locomotives that can operate in water as long as the firebox stays dry, diesel traction motors would short out if submerged. I haven't seen any pictures of the event but the story of witnesses seeing a loco out in the middle of lake are interesting.

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

Pixl wrote:Ok guys we have had "where am I" on class 1 railroads, short lines, abandoned lines, rails to trails and what ever. But here is a underwater railroad! This railroad grade now with a mile of it under water was in service long before the lake was here.
Fletcher Pond near Hillman.

James Sofonia

BDG wrote: Fletcher Pond near Hillman.
You are correct!
The Boyne City Gaylord & Alpena RR was built in 1905, and by the 1930's service had stopped and ownership reverted to the state of Michigan. The line had not been scraped out yet when the Alpena power Co. built a dam on the Thunder Bay River in 1931, flooding right over the tracks. Here is a shot from Bing Birdseye view where you can still see the original course of the river. There is a dark spot where the road crossed the river with a short trestle.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

That is really cool Pixl. Especially being able to see the original river channel in that aerial.
You can even follow the ROW on the other side of the pond and across the state even

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pixl wrote:
BDG wrote: Fletcher Pond near Hillman.
You are correct!
The Boyne City Gaylord & Alpena RR was built in 1905, and by the 1930's service had stopped and ownership reverted to the state of Michigan. The line had not been scraped out yet when the Alpena power Co. built a dam on the Thunder Bay River in 1931, flooding right over the tracks. Here is a shot from Bing Birdseye view where you can still see the original course of the river. There is a dark spot where the road crossed the river with a short trestle.
Is that ROW accessible from the east side where it goes into the lake?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia

J T wrote: Is that ROW accessible from the east side where it goes into the lake?
From M-65 take Moors Landing Rd. to the West. See Google maps. It's been years since I was in there last but back then you could park close and walk out on the point.

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

screenshot.jpg

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GRE on east side of Grand Rapids?
59caddy wrote:
screenshot.jpg

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

AARR wrote:GRE on east side of Grand Rapids?
59caddy wrote:
screenshot.jpg
Not quite. One more, then a hint.