GDLK/NS 2015 OPS

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Re: GDLK/NS 2015 OPS

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Grand Elk is SB over Kilgore Road now. Can't get a good look at the consist through the trees from here so I'm not sure who it is. Sounded like a local, judging by the horn.
Didn't know road trains and locals were specified by horns lmao.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

AMTK55 wrote: Didn't know road trains and locals were specified by horns lmao.
The Grand Elk Geeps and SDs have different horns. The horn sounded like the ones found on the ex-CN widecab Geeps, so I shared that with the forum to help with an ID.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Forgot to share this:

Last Saturday I was headed back to Kalamazoo from Mackinac Island with the band and got a good look at Hugart Yard and 4124. She's been stripped down to the frame, save the cab and something trapped over near the end of where the long good should be. Did her prime mover get trucked out for repairs or is 4124's running days a thing of the past?

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Thanks for the update on 4124 wondered the same as we haven't had a post on her in a while.your right on the horns with 3829 the only GP38 left I think and only 4 axle on the locals south the Canadian honkers are easy to distinguish from a distance.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Super Chief wrote:Thanks for the update on 4124 wondered the same as we haven't had a post on her in a while.
She's been sitting like that. Sounds like an overhaul. If they were scrapping they'd long since have finished her off.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:
Super Chief wrote:Thanks for the update on 4124 wondered the same as we haven't had a post on her in a while.
She's been sitting like that. Sounds like an overhaul. If they were scrapping they'd long since have finished her off.
Maybe. Price of scrap sucks right now, so may have sold off useful parts and left the hulk till scrap price comes up. But probably over haul.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

302 by TR at 9:30am with 153 cars 501 at noon with 2- 4000 series units and 23 cars.

CantBeShook.WeHot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CantBeShook.WeHot »

Grand Elk working Bay Valley Foods in Wayland, heading northbound soon. 4125 and Wisconsin Southern 4190.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Maybe. Price of scrap sucks right now, so may have sold off useful parts and left the hulk till scrap price comes up. But probably over haul.
It's being rebuilt.
Bottom text.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

sounds like grand elk job 700 just got the ok to leave andersons grain near White Pigeon to go south.
as of 3pm, Grand Elk still at Andersons, 2 NS units working their train... hearing something about a bad ordered car.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

I'm guessing it was the night crew that brought a train south and left it at Cowling on the main. 4190, 4125 and about 75 cars or so. They came down a little after 4:30 this am.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Forgot to share this:

Last Saturday I was headed back to Kalamazoo from Mackinac Island with the band and got a good look at Hugart Yard and 4124. She's been stripped down to the frame, save the cab and something trapped over near the end of where the long good should be. Did her prime mover get trucked out for repairs or is 4124's running days a thing of the past?
The prime mover is back ready to be reinstalled.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Strange day on the Elk? 3829 pumping up air on train brought down during the night. 4009 & 4017 brought local down past 3829 and went on to Bristol. Went to Kazoo in hopes of catching the GP7 but no luck. Entire Gearhart yard void of no power and a sum total of 8 cars on 1 track on the east end. Went downtown for grub and 4002 was returning with the Pfizer turn. Still no road train as I returned to TR. 3829 still at Cowling with train from overnight and 501 passes going north at 3:20pm. I guess maybe during the night it may move? Track gang working on switches in TR yard most of day. Also is the GP7 still around?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Super Chief wrote:Also is the GP7 still around?
It went to Grand Rapids last week for it's 90 day.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

As of yesterday the 4124 had its hood back on in GR. Been sitting with it off (laying on the ground next to it) for many months while the prime mover was out being rebuilt.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Strange day for sure. I noticed the lengthy train had come down overnight or early this am, and yet it still sits parked.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

SD80MAC wrote:As of yesterday the 4124 had its hood back on in GR. Been sitting with it off (laying on the ground next to it) for many months while the prime mover was out being rebuilt.

Sounds like 4124 will be coming back relativeły soon, which means that there will be 4 SD40s on GDLK's roster. Usually 302 has 3 of them from what I've seen, which makes me wonder what's gonna happen to that NS Admiral-cabbed SD40-2 that's been roaming around on 302 the last few weeks. Probably just back to Elkhart?

Also: does anyone know if 4189 and 4190 are gonna be repainted or is Watco leaving them as-is?

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

The night shift came down about 3:00 this morning and added to the train that was already in the hole at Cowling. They dinked around for about a 1/2 hour or so and then left.
The 4206, 4189 and 3829 are at Cowling with roughly 147 cars. Looks like a departure for Elkhart sometime this morning.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like 3829 is going to be the norm for a rolling air plant. They don't have an auto shut off on it so it will run all night pumping air. I guess it beats walking both sides of a 150+ car train though? 501 north at TR 2:30pm.

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

302 came back around 7:00 tonight with roughly 113 cars. The poor lil GP was really pulling as they approached American Axle and N. Main.