Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by J T »

BDG wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:**BUMP**
133rd Ave.
Where's the one lane bridge? I'm looking at 133rd on satellite right now and don't see it, nor do I see a "left turn" near the ROW that would lead to another one lane bridge.

I did discover another old train bridge that I never knew still existed. At 130th, the ROW goes over the Rabbit River and you can clearly see the bridge in the satellite image. Gonna have to investigate that one now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Here's one for you:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Corunna?
Mark F wrote:Here's one for you:

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Bonus points if you correctly tell how long it's been in that location :wink:

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

MQT1223 wrote:Jeez JT you must be off your game today! Never thought I would stump so many people on here after they have the COUNTY and RAIL LINE to search.

You didn't stump anyone. You put up a location that at first was very interesting. A rail bridge, road crossing, and one lane auto bridge at the same spot. But it is only findable if you get in a car and drive the area even though you narrowed it to a 5 mile stretch of known abandoned rails. Check with the tools we have before you put up something like this. Even my underwater railroad was a findable challenge.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Raildudes dad wrote:Bonus points if you correctly tell how long it's been in that location :wink:

Hey, Is that photo taken from a bike trail? If so let me know the name of it, how long it is, or any info. Now I have to google Corunna and find out where that town is too.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BDG wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:**BUMP**
133rd Ave.
Nope.

That's the closest guess though.

You didn't stump anyone. You put up a location that at first was very interesting. A rail bridge, road crossing, and one lane auto bridge at the same spot. But it is only findable if you get in a car and drive the area even though you narrowed it to a 5 mile stretch of known abandoned rails. Check with the tools we have before you put up something like this. Even my underwater railroad was a findable challenge.[/quote]

Well with the very limited interest or activity this photo was generating I thought maybe I had people finally. Oh well, most of my stuff because of my reputation tends to steer people away unless they know me personally.

I'm probably gonna get banned for another week for this post but it bugged me enough to post it now.

Pixl, since I'm not stumping you tell everyone the location of my picture.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Raildudes dad wrote:Bonus points if you correctly tell how long it's been in that location :wink:
Pretty sure you're not going to find it on Google Earth :D

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote:Pixl, since I'm not stumping you tell everyone the location of my picture.
I only found 2 locations where RR, road, and river come together. But you can't see any things but trees.

Consider this. A few days ago I put up a location that featured a street corner of WALNUT and RAILROAD that I stumbled on as kinda interesting. I figured it would be very difficult to find it with Google Earth or Street View , but I did just google the street names together and surprise the first hit was a real estate listing featuring the house in my photo from Reading Michigan. I deemed the location findable and sure enough GreatlakesRailFan found it in two days, even though this corner could be in hundreds of cities.

Check your posts and make sure they have some chance of finding them. It is a fun game to play.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Pixl, since I'm not stumping you tell everyone the location of my picture.
I only found 2 locations where RR, road, and river come together. But you can't see any things but trees.

Consider this. A few days ago I put up a location that featured a street corner of WALNUT and RAILROAD that I stumbled on as kinda interesting. I figured it would be very difficult to find it with Google Earth or Street View , but I did just google the street names together and surprise the first hit was a real estate listing featuring the house in my photo from Reading Michigan. I deemed the location findable and sure enough GreatlakesRailFan found it in two days, even though this corner could be in hundreds of cities.

Check your posts and make sure they have some chance of finding them. It is a fun game to play.
Not true at all, if you look above on google maps the River parallels the road. As soon as it goes under the road it makes a sharp turn and follows the road, goes under the abandoned ROW and then goes into a field.

The guess of 133rd Ave is really close. Study the roads close to that very carefully. Zoom in close, look for a river that parallels a road and look for those one lane bridges that are perpendicular to each other. 133rd Ave is close enough, that in hot or cold terms it would be comparable to standing too close to a bonfire, its pretty warm.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: The guess of 133rd Ave is really close. Study the roads close to that very carefully. Zoom in close, look for a river that parallels a road and look for those one lane bridges that are perpendicular to each other. 133rd Ave is close enough, that in hot or cold terms it would be comparable to standing too close to a bonfire, its pretty warm.
Since you narrowed this down to being between Hillliards and Hopkins, there are only three east/west crossings of this ROW: 130th, 132nd and 133rd. I'm not seeing any one lane bridges on 130th and 132nd near the ROW. It's not 133rd, and 130th is paved, and the ROW crosses diagonally at the 132nd/20th Ave intersection, which your picture does not depict. What the heck?
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: The guess of 133rd Ave is really close. Study the roads close to that very carefully. Zoom in close, look for a river that parallels a road and look for those one lane bridges that are perpendicular to each other. 133rd Ave is close enough, that in hot or cold terms it would be comparable to standing too close to a bonfire, its pretty warm.
Since you narrowed this down to being between Hillliards and Hopkins, there are only three east/west crossings of this ROW: 130th, 132nd and 133rd. I'm not seeing any one lane bridges on 130th and 132nd near the ROW. It's not 133rd, and 130th is paved, and the ROW crosses diagonally at the 132nd/20th Ave intersection, which your picture does not depict. What the heck?
Oops it was 133rd, my bad... I double checked google maps. In my head the whole time it was 132nd. My mistake. BDG you were correct. Look at the intersection of 133rd and 20th and you will see the two one lane bridges, one south and east of the intersection. Right where the ROW hits the road, on the north side is the trestle.

Admin you can ban me now... :oops:

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote: Oops it was 133rd, my bad... I double checked google maps.
WEAK 1223. You sent a lot of people out on a lost chase.
You put up something that many were interested, but cannot be found. Poor.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

I enjoyed looking for your red herring 1223 and I found a few neat spots along the way. Although I am curious about the one lane bridge further to west.
I happened to find this MDOT link about the old one lane bridge over the Rabbit River on 133rd Avenue but that was replaced a long time ago.
http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-1 ... --,00.html

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

I found a news article about Ionia getting a Grand Trunk caboose for their rail trail. Is that the one?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I guessed Corunna. Is that the correct location?
Michael wrote:

I found a news article about Ionia getting a Grand Trunk caboose for their rail trail. Is that the one?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Oops it was 133rd, my bad... I double checked google maps.
WEAK 1223. You sent a lot of people out on a lost chase.
You put up something that many were interested, but cannot be found. Poor.
That and I wasted time searching other areas when the answer was already given. I could have been riding my bike to get some ice cream...

:lol:
MQT1223 wrote:Look at the intersection of 133rd and 20th and you will see the two one lane bridges, one south and east of the intersection.

I'm still not seeing any one lane bridges in the satellite image. And why would there be bridges near that intersection anyway? South of 133rd on 20th there is no reason for a bridge. East of the intersection there would be no reason for a bridge.

I guess I'm going to have to drive there and see for myself.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Mark F wrote:
Pretty sure you're not going to find it on Google Earth :D
I bet I can if I look on 68th Ave north of Allendale :lol:

AARR, not Corunna

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

AARR wrote:I guessed Corunna. Is that the correct location?
Michael wrote:

Not Ionia, that caboose is still a year or two away.
Hint: The GTW caboose is not out of place along this former GR&I line.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Cedar Springs?
Mark F wrote:I guessed Corunna. Is that the correct location?
Here's one for you:

Not Ionia, that caboose is still a year or two away.
Hint: The GTW caboose is not out of place along this former GR&I line.