Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

wow, three correct answers in a row

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:wow, three correct answers in a row
Indeed. Good job BDG & GLR

James Sofonia

These D&M rails used to extend another 22 miles to the SW. Today they just park box cars on it that you can see in the aerial shot if you find the right spot. There is also active rails behind the business you see on the right.

Name the business for a little extra in your pay check.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

I recognized your location right away Pixl and I could sure use a little something extra in my paycheck this week but I'll see if someone else can figure it out based on your description.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I think this is National City but I didn't know there was an active rail served customer there anymore
Pixl wrote:These D&M rails used to extend another 22 miles to the SW. Today they just park box cars on it that you can see in the aerial shot if you find the right spot. There is also active rails behind the business you see on the right.

Name the business for a little extra in your pay check.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

Yes, National City.
The line behind the un-named business is the LSRC to Alpena.

Michael, how could you possibly recognize this unknown two pony town???

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:Yes, National City.
The line behind the un-named business is the LSRC to Alpena.

Michael, how could you possibly recognize this unknown two pony town???

I recognized it from years of "virtual traveling" via Google Maps. :lol:
I have never actually been there. I am more impressed with AARR who knew it without having seen it!

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

If you are really observant you should not need any clues.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

I was thinking that someone would have noticed the Abbott/Ross Labs @ logo on the building in the background and realized it was Sturgis but I guess it was too small to be noticed.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Michael wrote:I was thinking that someone would have noticed the Abbott/Ross Labs @ logo on the building in the background and realized it was Sturgis but I guess it was too small to be noticed.
Checking the thread for the first time since my last posts. I think you gave the answer a little early, although I probably wouldn't have noticed the logo anyway. :)
~ Charles W.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I think you gave the answer a little early, although I probably wouldn't have noticed the logo anyway. :)

Ok. I'll give it a shot again. :)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I like hints before answers are given 8) . Although, like GLRF, I would have struggled with guessing the was Ross Labs in Sturgis :oops:

I'll guess Ann Arbor Ferry Yard on this picture.
Michael wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I think you gave the answer a little early, although I probably wouldn't have noticed the logo anyway. :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:I was thinking that someone would have noticed the Abbott/Ross Labs @ logo on the building in the background and realized it was Sturgis but I guess it was too small to be noticed.
Oh I noticed it alright, but didn't know who uses that logo. I spent a lot of time searching for backward "R or 6 or a" logos, but nothing came up. I flew over Sturgis a few times looking for that track pattern but missed it. :(

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I didn't and probably wouldn't have recognized that track pattern from that POV. It was an excellent "Where am I" because its a well-known location from an unique angle 8)
Pixl wrote:Oh I noticed it alright, but didn't know who uses that logo. I spent a lot of time searching for backward "R or 6 or a" logos, but nothing came up. I flew over Sturgis a few times looking for that track pattern but missed it. :(

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:I like hints before answers are given 8) . Although, like GLRF, I would have struggled with guessing the was Ross Labs in Sturgis :oops:

I'll guess Ann Arbor Ferry Yard on this picture.
Michael wrote:

Correct!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

What's really scary (to me) is I have a photo from a few dozen feet to the east of this shot, and another from the next crossing south, which shows the logo, from the last time I was in Sturgis, the Friday of the meet in Chesterton last summer. But I probably wouldn't have thought to look through my files for the building, and would've come up with something like, "Coldwater" instead... :oops:
AARR wrote:I didn't and probably wouldn't have recognized that track pattern from that POV. It was an excellent "Where am I" because its a well-known location from an unique angle 8)
Pixl wrote:Oh I noticed it alright, but didn't know who uses that logo. I spent a lot of time searching for backward "R or 6 or a" logos, but nothing came up. I flew over Sturgis a few times looking for that track pattern but missed it. :(
~ Charles W.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

This one might be easy. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

~ Charles W.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Here's another easy one. Sorry for the multiple photo posts, I don't anticipate checking the thread with the computer again for a while and wanted to get these up before they slipped my mind (again).

~ Charles W.

James Sofonia

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:This one might be easy. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

I take it is near a rail line, perhaps behind the camera? Would that still be active?

James Sofonia

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Here's another easy one. Sorry for the multiple photo posts, I don't anticipate checking the thread with the computer again for a while and wanted to get these up before they slipped my mind (again).
Pride and Country Village in Saginaw.
Did You buy an ice crean while you were there? :D
Attachments
sag.jpg