Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Stuck in mud

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by Michael »

~Z~ wrote:
Michael wrote:Image
Brighton with a future 'ski resort' aka landfill behind it?
You are definitely close Zack but it is not Mount Brighton

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

~Z~ wrote:
Michael wrote:Image
Brighton with a future 'ski resort' aka landfill behind it?
I thought Mt. Trashmore near Riverview, but the tracks in that area as well as Brighton don't line up to give you that view.

Interesting the telegraph poles in this stretch are still standing and nobody has stolen the insulators. Makes me think this location is way out somewhere.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Thinking Salem MI, Michael?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That's between Plymouth and Salem, on the Plymouth sub, looking west up Dehoco/Salem Hill.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

SD80MAC wrote:That's between Plymouth and Salem, on the Plymouth sub, looking west up Dehoco/Salem Hill.

Yep. That is the spot. I think you can actually see Plymouth Twp, Northville Twp and Salem Twp all in the same shot!
It is one I posted before but I think this photo was trickier that the shot below.
Just to the south of the landfill was a rail customer but that switch was removed.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Although this spur has been out of commission for a while, the rails in the street and the overhead signal have not been completely removed yet.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is this the water treatment plant in Trenton or Wyandotte?
Michael wrote:Although this spur has been out of commission for a while, the rails in the street and the overhead signal have not been completely removed yet.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I honestly don't recall where this was taken :oops: Even though I remember seeing it with you guys. May I guess?
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:This one might be easy. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

AARR wrote:Is this the water treatment plant in Trenton or Wyandotte?
Michael wrote:Although this spur has been out of commission for a while, the rails in the street and the overhead signal have not been completely removed yet.
No.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Is this the water treatment plant in Trenton or Wyandotte?
It is not anywhere downriver but it is in SE Michigan

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:Where you see the person walking is where the ROW was. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

That pretty red paint is going to be faded before we find it. How about direction the ROW went thru here or something of that nature. :lol:

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Pixl wrote:
AARR wrote:Where you see the person walking is where the ROW was. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

That pretty red paint is going to be faded before we find it. How about direction the ROW went thru here or something of that nature. :lol:
I don't know exactly where it was taken, but based on AARR, SW, and GLR taking photos of it, guessing they got the shot while on their road trip rally, which typically happens around the thumb area of MI. Guessing within 50 miles of Port Huron.
Webmaster

James Sofonia

~Z~ wrote:
Pixl wrote:

I don't know exactly where it was taken, but based on AARR, SW, and GLR taking photos of it, guessing they got the shot while on their road trip rally, which typically happens around the thumb area of MI. Guessing within 50 miles of Port Huron.
Other possible elements I see, a very tall cell tower to the right in the distance. Possibly the kind near a freeway. And maybe someone can make out the street sign to the left. Maybe Mill street??

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

You are quite observant Pixl! Although it is Main Street and the town is Dryden.

https://goo.gl/maps/chQpl

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

One new one:
Looking one direction: http://i.imgur.com/aFx0ECy.jpg
Looking the other direction:
http://i.imgur.com/s12qUYq.jpg
Webmaster

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:You are quite observant Pixl! Although it is Main Street and the town is Dryden.

Ok , not hard to find when you know the name of the town. I flew over this earlier today, but the roof looks so crappy I didn't see it was the mill. The cell tower is viable if you go a couple blocks NW and zoom in.

James Sofonia

Z,
That is easy. It's a Michigan Short line. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:
Michael wrote:You are quite observant Pixl! Although it is Main Street and the town is Dryden.

Ok , not hard to find when you know the name of the town. I flew over this earlier today, but the roof looks so crappy I didn't see it was the mill. The cell tower is viable if you go a couple blocks NW and zoom in.

It was a total fluke. I just got lucky. Zack said it was probably in the thumb and the very first town I checked was Dryden :D

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:Image

Z,
That is easy. It's a Michigan Short line. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He picked a good one all right. In all my map trolling I have never seen that spot.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Saginaw?
~Z~ wrote:One new one:
Looking one direction: http://i.imgur.com/aFx0ECy.jpg
Looking the other direction:
http://i.imgur.com/s12qUYq.jpg