Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by J T »

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:This looks like I696 in Warren by Groesbeck.
Michael wrote:Image
Yep. That is the exact spot
That bridge was made famous (to railfans) in the mid-90s. Wish I could find the photo of it that was in the newspaper at the time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ahh, here it is....
Attachments
trailderailment.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Bay City, near LSRC's yard?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

AARR wrote:Bay City, near LSRC's yard?
Isn't that where the tanker blew up, or there was a nasty fire a couple decades ago? There's not much left now, compared to what supposedly used to be there.
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Thats near Atlantic Street in Bay City, better known as Foss. This is near the LSRC swing bridge that crosses over the Saginaw River.
Isn't that where the tanker blew up, or there was a nasty fire a couple decades ago? There's not much left now, compared to what supposedly used to be there.
Your thinking of the Jupiter explosion, September 16, 1990. That was on the other side of the Saginaw River at the Total Oil Docks. The Jupiter was unloading at Total when the Buffalo came past and had enough force from their wake to dislodge the transfer hoses and most of the mooring lines. The residual gasoline in the lines caught fire causing the explosion. It was a pretty big event in Bay City at the time.
Last edited by GTW6401 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:Ahh, here it is....
What exactly happened here to cause rolling stock come off the bridge and onto the freeway? If this was mid 90's, I wasn't born yet or was too young.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:Ahh, here it is....
What exactly happened here to cause rolling stock come off the bridge and onto the freeway? If this was mid 90's, I wasn't born yet or was too young.
Simple answer to why it happened was poor track condition. The Mt. Clemens Subdivision was in far worse shape back in the 90s.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I'm in NE Ohio visiting family. Found this in the little town my sister lives in. It is on display about a 1/2 mile North of the abandoned grade it once ran on. It is findable on both Google Earth and Street view. I'll throw out some hints in a couple of days if no one gets it.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

GTW6401 wrote:Thats near Atlantic Street in Bay City, better known as Foss. This is near the LSRC swing bridge that crosses over the Saginaw River.

That is the place. These oil tank show up on the 2012 Street view but they have since been removed based on the 2015 aerials.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

GTW6401 wrote:Your thinking of the Jupiter explosion, September 16, 1990. That was on the other side of the Saginaw River at the Total Oil Docks. The Jupiter was unloading at Total when the Buffalo came past and had enough force from their wake to dislodge the transfer hoses and most of the mooring lines. The residual gasoline in the lines caught fire causing the explosion. It was a pretty big event in Bay City at the time.
Ahh, thank you.
~ Charles W.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:I'm in NE Ohio visiting family. Found this in the little town my sister lives in. It is on display about a 1/2 mile North of the abandoned grade it once ran on. It is findable on both Google Earth and Street view. I'll throw out some hints in a couple of days if no one gets it.

Well it was easy to search that caboose number and find the location Pixl. I'll be interested to see if someone knew where it was without looking it up.
It looks like a neat place!

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Old ROW under the bridge. A bike trail starts (or ends) here and behind this photo the tracks continue.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

This one will likely be easy for some. The building in the background is an old Interurban station

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Sturgis?
Michael wrote:Old ROW under the bridge. A bike trail starts (or ends) here and behind this photo the tracks continue.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

Michael wrote: Image

Well it was easy to search that caboose number and find the location Pixl. I'll be interested to see if someone knew where it was without looking it up.
It looks like a neat place![/quote]

Yes, after I took the picture yesterday I checked Google as you did. It is findable thru Google but I posted it anyhow to see what comes up.

here is some info on the line.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Leavittsburg_to_Mantua

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Sturgis?
Michael wrote:Old ROW under the bridge. A bike trail starts (or ends) here and behind this photo the tracks continue.
It is somewhere along the old MAL

James Sofonia

You are on Belden Rd. in Jackson. Overpass is the old US 27.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:
You are on Belden Rd. in Jackson. Overpass is the old US 27.
Good job Pixl

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Michael wrote:This one will likely be easy for some. The building in the background is an old Interurban station
Doheny and Main Street in Northville.