Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Stuck in mud

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by Michael »

GTW6401 wrote:
Michael wrote:This one will likely be easy for some. The building in the background is an old Interurban station
Doheny and Main Street in Northville.
Good job GTW

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

On this one, SE Michigan, I'd like to ask where or when or what the activity is, or all three. Little bit of history here. Clues to come if needed.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:On this one, SE Michigan, I'd like to ask where or when or what the activity is, or all three. Little bit of history here. Clues to come if needed.

That was our family reunion a few years back. I like to send the kids out to see if they can find anything good that might have fallen off the trains. :lol:

Actually when I downloaded the photo I noticed the name in the URL and so I have to recuse myself.

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:
Pixl wrote:On this one, SE Michigan, I'd like to ask where or when or what the activity is, or all three. Little bit of history here. Clues to come if needed.

That was our family reunion a few years back. I like to send the kids out to see if they can find anything good that might have fallen off the trains. :lol:

Actually when I downloaded the photo I noticed the name in the URL and so I have to recuse myself.
Well it will still take some detective work to ID the location. The "when" might be guessed by the car on the bridge. Kinda looks like the one in the TV show Starsky & Hutch.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I did the same thing Michael did, and won't guess the location (although I see the link I've quoted is now photobucket, not the first website...?), but based on what the people in the photo are wearing, I'd say it was taken in the early 1980's, probably in late spring or early fall. My initial guess is that it's some sort of school group, perhaps a field trip of some kind, literally to a long, narrow field...?
~ Charles W.

James Sofonia

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:

I did the same thing Michael did, and won't guess the location (although I see the link I've quoted is now photobucket, not the first website...?), but based on what the people in the photo are wearing, I'd say it was taken in the early 1980's, probably in late spring or early fall. My initial guess is that it's some sort of school group, perhaps a field trip of some kind, literally to a long, narrow field...?
I don't think it is a school group, and I think it's earlier than 1980, I have to re-check my info as I found this photo some time ago. Even if some of you know the general location, the web site doesn't reveal the exact spot. You will have to do some more work for that. Photobucket was down when I posted it and took a chance on using the web site link, but you guys don't let anything sneak past.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:

I don't think it is a school group, and I think it's earlier than 1980, I have to re-check my info as I found this photo some time ago. Even if some of you know the general location, the web site doesn't reveal the exact spot. You will have to do some more work for that. Photobucket was down when I posted it and took a chance on using the web site link, but you guys don't let anything sneak past.
About the only thing I can guess at with any confidence (and I am probably wrong) is that the guy on the left side of the tracks seems to be holding a railroad spike and so everyone there is probably swiping things after the line was abandoned. Also Starkey & Hutches Grand Torino looks like it is parked with no driver and of course it is a rickety old wooden bridge so it wasn't a busy road then.

James Sofonia

Michael wrote: Image

About the only thing I can guess at with any confidence (and I am probably wrong) is that the guy on the left side of the tracks seems to be holding a railroad spike and so everyone there is probably swiping things after the line was abandoned. Also Starkey & Hutches Grand Torino looks like it is parked with no driver and of course it is a rickety old wooden bridge so it wasn't a busy road then.
Somebody must have wanted their Grand Torino "Coke Mobile" in the picture.

This group is evaluating the line for possible purchase to create the first Michigan "Rails to Trails" .

The exact location is still up for grabs!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Hazard County, KY. That's the Dukes of Hazard General Lee.
Pixl wrote:Image
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:Hazard County, KY. That's the Dukes of Hazard General Lee.
Ha ha, funny.
The General Lee car is a orange Dodge Charger with a Confederate flag on top that doesn't offend me.

Starkey & Hutches Grand Torino was bright-red, with a large white vector stripe on both sides resembling a coke a cola can that doesn't offend me.
But you were close in thinking. Both shows revolved around these cars and there certain similarities.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Yeah, and the two cars looking nothing alike. Come on, Don! :P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Years ago Model Railroader did a 4x8 layout with a Duke of Hazards theme and one of the scene breakers was an old wooden bridge very similar to the one in Pixl's picture 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

These bridges were common in the day. I lived in Bedford Ohio back then and the kids used to shoot these bridges at a high speed. The design of steep ramps and a short flat crossover would get plenty of air under the car. One night somebody placed a wash machine in the center. A cop car hit it at speed on an emergency run, He made it to his emergency location with just a broken radiator.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Is it Rochester Road?
~ Charles W.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I 2nd GLRF's guess. Only know there are far more trees along that section.
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Is it Rochester Road?

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:
This group is evaluating the line for possible purchase to create the first Michigan "Rails to Trails" .

The exact location is still up for grabs!

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'll throw my hat in the ring.
I laugh at the "evaluating the line" part. What exactly are they looking for? :lol:
Although I suppose back then they did not have the luxury of sitting at home looking at aerials photos online in their underwear.

Do you know the exact location Pixl?
According to the history of Paint Creek Trail (Michigan's 1st rail to trail ), only 10.5 miles were initially purchased between Lake Orion and Rochester and looking at that stretch now there are only 2 grade separations and only 1 is a bridge over the former rails and that is Gunn Road.
It seems hard to believe it could be Rochester Road or any other road right in town, considering how close that is to Paint Creek, which is not in the photo, nor any other buildings.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Rochester Rd extends from Madison Heights/Troy to at least 32 Mile Rd and maybe further. The part north of Rochester is rural. However, you are correct in that it doesn't cross the old Paint Creek ROW.
Michael wrote:It seems hard to believe it could be Rochester Road or any other road right in town, considering how close that is to Paint Creek, which is not in the photo, nor any other buildings.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

After watching the making of Paint Creek Trail video

It seems likely the photo is Gunn Road considering that the genesis of the trail purchase was Oakland Twp, a rural part of the trail between Lake Orion & Rochester and covers Gunn Road and is still a gravel road today. The video has more photos of that bridge from different angles (2:35) and they seem to match up with present day photos.
Bing also has street view available.

Have you biked this trail AARR?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

You are correct, Michael, it is Gunn Rd. Yes, I've biked it many times. It's a hardened limestone path and pleasant to ride :)
Michael wrote:After watching the making of Paint Creek Trail video

It seems likely the photo is Gunn Road considering that the genesis of the trail purchase was Oakland Twp, a rural part of the trail between Lake Orion & Rochester and covers Gunn Road and is still a gravel road today. The video has more photos of that bridge from different angles (2:35) and they seem to match up with present day photos.
Bing also has street view available.
Have you biked this trail AARR?

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:After watching the making of Paint Creek Trail video

You guys are correct about it being the Gunn Rd. crossing on the Paint Creek Trail.
I had found this photo some time ago and e-mailed the Township about it but never got a reply. Recently I studied Google Earth along the trail and found the only grade separation outside Rochester was Gunn Rd., as Michael did too. So now armed with the location I decided to post the "where am I" I had found the same video Michael put up and got an idea of when and why they were there. Yesterday I e-mailed again, but this time to the Paint Creek Trailways commission. Kristen Myers replied back verifying the location and said it was about 1978, but referred me to Alice Tomboulian, who was in the video, for an answer on what the activity was. Reply yet to come.
In Michaels video (above) at 13:21 you can see them reconstructing the Gunn Rd. bridge. Looks like the same bridge as the original photo but lowered, as the high clearance isn't needed for the bikes. Here is another video a guy shot while riding the entire trail. At 29:48 you can get another look at the bridge.