Humboldt Mill Tour and Mineral Range RR

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Humboldt Mill Tour and Mineral Range RR

Unread post by SW »

After a few days on Mackinac Island with the family, they headed home and I headed to Marquette. Friday morning I was able to get in on a tour of Humboldt Mill, west of Ishpeming, which processes nickel and copper ore for the new Eagle Mine, located on the Yellow Dog Plains northwest of Marquette. They offer tours of the mill on alternate Fridays, and tours of the mine on the other Fridays during warm weather months. If you want to sign up, do so well in advance as the tours fill up frequently and early. I was lucky that there were a few last-second no-shows. Many of the people on the tour were retired iron miners, interestingly enough.
http://www.eaglemine.com

The ore is processed by the mill down to a heavy sand and separated into nickel concentrate that is about 15% nickel. The copper concentrate is about 30% copper. It is then loaded into the gons to be shipped to be smelted and then refined into 99.9% pure product. Much goes to Sudbury, ON for that, and some goes to Quebec. Mineral Range serves the mine 3-4x per week. When I drove up to the mill, there were about a dozen empty gons staged on a siding just outside the mill. A Hercules trackmobile is used to shuffle the gons around. They load 2 at a time. About 70% of what they process is nickel, and about 25% is copper. The remaining 5% or so consists of trace amounts of gold, silver, palladium, and other trace metals that are extracted by the refineries.

The tour is 2 hours long. At the end, as I exited, a couple of Mineral Range units had appeared. They brought in the empties I saw earlier, and departed with 15 loads. I caught them at the M95 crossing about 1/2 mile west of the mill, then further north where the line crosses US41/M28.

Crossing M95:

Crossing US41/M28 and just after:
Owosso Steve

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Humboldt Mill Tour and Mineral Range RR

Unread post by AARR »

I like your report. Thanks for posting, SW. :D

Anyone know the heritage and history of 1345? It looks like a very late model GP9.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

That 1323 has the look of a "classic" short line. The simple paint schemes and colors give it that 70's-80's feel to me.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Nice catch SW. I have been trying to see MR at the same crossings for the past year with no luck.

What time of day did you see them switching Humboldt?

Thanks.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

The mill tour ended just before 11 am and the 2 units were inside the gate at that point. Worked the yard there for about an hour. Finally came out and crossed M95 and then US41 around noon.
Owosso Steve

JohnE
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JohnE »

That sounds like a nice tour. Glad you shared with us.
John