Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by AARR »

As MQT1223 pointed out this is the former MAL between Richmond and Jackson. I frequently ride the Richmond to Pontiac segment. I don't know what it looks like west of Pontiac, though. I've seen segments of it in New Hudson which is the next town east of South Lyon.
Jetlink wrote:I see a rail trail. Wherever it is I must go ride it. Pleas let us know :D .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:As MQT1223 pointed out this is the former MAL between Richmond and Jackson. I frequently ride the Richmond to Pontiac segment. I don't know what it looks like west of Pontiac, though. I've seen segments of it in New Hudson which is the next town east of South Lyon.
Jetlink wrote:I see a rail trail. Wherever it is I must go ride it. Pleas let us know :D .

This is a great, albeit short, trail called Huron Valley between South Lyon, New Hudson and Wixom.
It is paved the whole way and will eventually link up with the rest of the MAL into Pontiac and beyond, if it has not already.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:As MQT1223 pointed out this is the former MAL between Richmond and Jackson. I frequently ride the Richmond to Pontiac segment. I don't know what it looks like west of Pontiac, though. I've seen segments of it in New Hudson which is the next town east of South Lyon.

This is a great, albeit short, trail called Huron Valley between South Lyon, New Hudson and Wixom.
It is paved the whole way and will eventually link up with the rest of the MAL into Pontiac and beyond, if it has not already.
I believe the former Walled Lake Scenic and Michigan Star Clipper lines in Walled Lake are to become a part of the several trails on the former MAL.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageDSCN9028 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is this the branch line to Selfridge?
milineamtrak wrote:ImageDSCN9028 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

milineamtrak wrote:ImageDSCN9028 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
West Michigan RR ?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

It is the old Selfridge Branch. AARR, can you give a more specific location?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is that by southbound Gratiot?
milineamtrak wrote:It is the old Selfridge Branch. AARR, can you give a more specific location?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

It's not the MTM boarding location, is it?
~ Charles W.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

No and No, the milepost is a hint.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT3001 wrote:Abandoned, obviously.
WAI.png
It looks as though I have stumped you all?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

James Sofonia

MQT3001 wrote:
It looks as though I have stumped you all?
Fine. Delver the goods.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

My next guess it's North Ave. looking east
milineamtrak wrote:Is that by southbound Gratiot?
It's not the MTM boarding location, is it?
No and No, the milepost is a hint.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Correct, North Ave looking east.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

That line still in service Tim?
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The Selfridge Spur hasn't had freight service since the 1990's when coal was delivered to Selfridge's power plant.

A group has tried to keep the line alive with a small excursion operation. At one time they could go onto Selfridge's property which made for a nice run but those privileges were taken away.
ConrailMan5 wrote:That line still in service Tim?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

I recall a picture of the Michigan Transit Museum's engine and a flatcar going across Gratiot to clear a bit of overgrown brush. Don't know how old the picture was but why that needed to be done is a question. Maybe some Mt Clemens residents were complaining about the overgrowth within their backyard where the track runs.

James Sofonia

This is over a multi lane highway in the greater Detroit area. Interesting is that this abandonment looks like crap on the top side, but from the highway it looks almost new.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I think this is too CSX's West Detroit Branch and the bridge is over I94.
Pixl wrote:This is over a multi lane highway in the greater Detroit area. Interesting is that this abandonment looks like crap on the top side, but from the highway it looks almost new.

80mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 80mac »

The former Detroit Terminal Railroad crossing over the Lodge freeway between Oakman and Linwood.

Pixl wrote:This is over a multi lane highway in the greater Detroit area. Interesting is that this abandonment looks like crap on the top side, but from the highway it looks almost new.