Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by EWRice »

Pixl wrote:Rails used to cross this intersection and continued across the lawn along side the feed and grain store. They were pulled up in 1980 from this SW Michigan location.

Eau Claire

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

That is definitely Eau Claire.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Here is a photo I took last spring of a depot.
oldepot1.jpg
Hint: I drove up to the U.P. last Memorial Day weekend.
Where was I when I took this.
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Facing southwest into the sun. This was once a main line in mid-Michigan.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

EWRice wrote:
Pixl wrote:Rails used to cross this intersection and continued across the lawn along side the feed and grain store. They were pulled up in 1980 from this SW Michigan location.

Eau Claire
YES EW, You are correct!

Original built by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway, affectionately known as "The Big Four"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:Facing southwest into the sun. This was once a main line in mid-Michigan.

The former NYC in Lansing, Washington Ave I believe? I could be wrong on the street if the city is correct. Only a few locations in Michigan still have ancient cantilever signals like this.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:Facing southwest into the sun. This was once a main line in mid-Michigan.

The former NYC in Lansing, Washington Ave I believe? I could be wrong on the street if the city is correct. Only a few locations in Michigan still have ancient cantilever signals like this.

Wasn't this already posted, perhaps from a different angle, or am I getting confused with another thread about these cantilever signals?
~ Charles W.

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

MQT1223 wrote:

Close, it's Mt. Hope Ave.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Jochs wrote:Here is a photo I took last spring of a depot.

Looks like Wolverine.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote: Wasn't this already posted, perhaps from a different angle, or am I getting confused with another thread about these cantilever signals?
It may have been, but I'm not looking through the prior 182 pages of this thread to check. :lol: :P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Pixl wrote:
Jochs wrote:Here is a photo I took last spring of a depot.

Looks like Wolverine.

Correct! It is the old NYC depot in Wolverine.
The line appears to be a recreational trail there now. The tracks go only as far north as Gaylord now.
Jeff O.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Guess where it be. Hint is that the area to the right isn't there anymore. People who know me need not apply.
Attachments
image.jpg
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageDSCN9153 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

At first I thought it was the southwest end of Marathon in Detroit but then I thought it could be on Zug Island. I'll go with Marathon as my first guess.
milineamtrak wrote:ImageDSCN9153 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Not Marathon or Zug Island. The photo would likely not have been taken or made it online if on Zug Island. ( No public access or photography on Zug Island )

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

My next guess is the chemical company on the industrial track to Chrysler. PVS?
milineamtrak wrote:At first I thought it was the southwest end of Marathon in Detroit but then I thought it could be on Zug Island. I'll go with Marathon as my first guess. Not Marathon or Zug Island.
milineamtrak wrote:ImageDSCN9153 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Not on an industrial track to a Chrysler plant. I assume your referring to the Terminal East to Mack Yard. The chemical company could be a PVS ( I don't think it is but also don't know the name of the industry ). If PVS, its not the location on the Terminal East at Harper and French Rd.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Is the job NY-60?
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

It is a Conrail Job but not NY-60.

NY-60 is a second trick North Yard job that typically performs yard switching and sometimes works the CN Interchange and transfers the CSX cars for the Eastside to Livernois.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

I'm sure someone knows this without any hints but here is the history:
At one time the town had a railroad stop, saw-mill, basket factory, saloon, and general store.
The general store and other structures were destroyed in a fire in early 1960s. An elderly lady and her (niece/grandchild) perished in the fire. There was a significant delay in the arrival of rescuers, as the closest fire department was located six miles south.
Few obvious signs remain today of this town except a cluster of several pre-1900 houses, the saw-mill adjoining the railroad tracks, and the road name.