Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Michael wrote:Image
I like these historic ones. Steiner, Michigan six miles North of Monroe on the NS.

80mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 80mac »

Shell Oil on Marion Ave. in River Rouge?
milineamtrak wrote:ImageDSCN9153 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Correct.

Conrail RR-25 switching Shell Oil on the Short Marsh on Friday afternoon.

James Sofonia

Although you see a bombed out factory, this spur also serves two large customers, one behind the camera, the other in the distance to the right. Located less than 6 miles from milineamtrak's location.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Shouldn't this thread be called "What did I google?" Very few photos are actually photos taken by the person who posted it. :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

James Sofonia

Jochs wrote:Shouldn't this thread be called "What did I google?" Very few photos are actually photos taken by the person who posted it. :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Aw c'mon Jochs. It's fun. Try to find my last "Google" location and I'll put up a local shot tomorrow. :wink:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is this the old Detroit Union from North Yard to the Detroit River front. It terminates at a produce company near Gratiot.
Pixl wrote:Although you see a bombed out factory, this spur also serves two large customers, one behind the camera, the other in the distance to the right. Located less than 6 miles from milineamtrak's location.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:Is this the old Detroit Union from North Yard to the Detroit River front. It terminates at a produce company near Gratiot.
Sorry, not near the Detroit waterfront.
Last edited by James Sofonia on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

80mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 80mac »

McGraw crossing CSX in Detroit. Coca-Cola on the right and Thyssen Steel behind you on the right.
Pixl wrote:Although you see a bombed out factory, this spur also serves two large customers, one behind the camera, the other in the distance to the right. Located less than 6 miles from milineamtrak's location.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I don't think Thyssen gets rail service anymore. Coca-Cola and the scrap metal yard (Kimmel?) are the only customers.
80mac wrote:McGraw crossing CSX in Detroit. Coca-Cola on the right and Thyssen Steel behind you on the right.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Jochs wrote:Shouldn't this thread be called "What did I google?" Very few photos are actually photos taken by the person who posted it. :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
I tried that earlier in this thread and no one cared. So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

J T wrote:
I tried that earlier in this thread and no one cared. So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :D
People usually don't get the personal photos I post because you cant verify them in google. Or they are just "horrid" photos for the theme.
We are going 1984 in here, no free will! Big Brother is censoring what you can post!!! :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

James Sofonia

80mac wrote:McGraw crossing CSX in Detroit. Coca-Cola on the right and Thyssen Steel behind you on the right.

80mac, You are right on message. I did assume that Thyssen listed as the largest steel co. in the world would ship by steel rail rather than rubber. Coke had a few tankers on their siding in the photo, I'm guessing corn syrup.

James Sofonia

Here is another one from the "Rails in the Pavement" series. Real photos, no Google Earth here although it can be verified by Street View. You probably need to live in this town to know where this is, but one of the newspapers might help.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Pixl wrote:Here is another one from the "Rails in the Pavement" series. Real photos, no Google Earth here although it can be verified by Street View. You probably need to live in this town to know where this is, but one of the newspapers might help.
Kap n Keg. Fourteenth Street. Traverse City.

James Sofonia

Standard Railfan wrote:Kap n Keg. Fourteenth Street. Traverse City.

Attachments
k&k.jpg
Last edited by James Sofonia on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thyssen received steel coils by rail for a while. But I haven't seen any cars there in years. .
Pixl wrote:80mac, You are right on message. I did assume that Thyssen listed as the largest steel co. in the world would ship by steel rail rather than rubber. Coke had a few tankers on their siding in the photo, I'm guessing corn syrup.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

J T wrote:
At least the photo I posted in Wolverine was one I took on my way home from yooperland! :lol:
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

James Sofonia

Standard Railfan wrote:
Pixl wrote:Here is another one from the "Rails in the Pavement" series. Real photos, no Google Earth here although it can be verified by Street View. You probably need to live in this town to know where this is, but one of the newspapers might help.
Kap n Keg. Fourteenth Street. Traverse City.
Wow,how did you find this so fast living in Marquette?

James Sofonia

ConrailMan5 wrote:Guess where it be. Hint is that the area to the right isn't there anymore. People who know me need not apply.
What happened to this one? Maybe time for some hints. Nice picture!

Last edited by James Sofonia on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.