Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Pixl wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:
Pixl wrote:Here is another one from the "Rails in the Pavement" series. Real photos, no Google Earth here although it can be verified by Street View. You probably need to live in this town to know where this is, but one of the newspapers might help.
Kap n Keg. Fourteenth Street. Traverse City.
Wow,how did you find this so fast living in Marquette?
I have resided in TC twice in the last 25 yrs. I took one look at the second photo and instantly recognized Tom's Market.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Pixl wrote:
ConrailMan5 wrote:Guess where it be. Hint is that the area to the right isn't there anymore. People who know me need not apply.
What happened to this one? Maybe time for some hints. Nice picture!

Ok, I kept poking around for it today. Here is what I was working with from the picture.
The shot is either sunrise East, or sunset West.
Since it is winter in Michigan the sun hangs more in the South, so SE or SW.
You can just barely see the emergency call in tag on the crossing gate, you can't read it, but it is the same style NS uses.
A fly over with Google Earth finds a section of NS track angled to the SE between Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti with a fresh bare area next to the crossing of Superior Rd, hence the "area that isn't there anymore".

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Jerry and DaveO at MIRR.com had this guess
Looks like PC north yard well before the new building. The hump is in the foreground with the GT delivering inter change traffic.
The details do seem to fit with the 1961 DTE aerial of north yard. Stairway on one side, cabinet on the other side, smokestack in the background, elevated tracks in front.
M.D.Bentley wrote:Image[/url] A true where is it from a railroad official that thought that I knew everything.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

AARR wrote:Jerry and DaveO at MIRR.com had this guess
Looks like PC north yard well before the new building. The hump is in the foreground with the GT delivering inter change traffic.
The details do seem to fit with the 1961 DTE aerial of north yard. Stairway on one side, cabinet on the other side, smokestack in the background, elevated tracks in front.
M.D.Bentley wrote:Image[/url] A true where is it from a railroad official that thought that I knew everything.
That makes sense. New lead (bottom) Hump lead (next) #1 in the class behind the building. Thanks for the info.

James Sofonia

Here is an odd one, an airplane sitting on the tracks of a class 1 railroad, SE Michigan.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:Here is an odd one, an airplane sitting on the tracks of a class 1 railroad, SE Michigan.
This would be about 1000 meters Southwest of Whittaker on the NS ex Wabash line.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Pixl wrote:
Pixl wrote:
ConrailMan5 wrote:Guess where it be. Hint is that the area to the right isn't there anymore. People who know me need not apply.
What happened to this one? Maybe time for some hints. Nice picture!

Ok, I kept poking around for it today. Here is what I was working with from the picture.
The shot is either sunrise East, or sunset West.
Since it is winter in Michigan the sun hangs more in the South, so SE or SW.
You can just barely see the emergency call in tag on the crossing gate, you can't read it, but it is the same style NS uses.
A fly over with Google Earth finds a section of NS track angled to the SE between Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti with a fresh bare area next to the crossing of Superior Rd, hence the "area that isn't there anymore".
Whoops I thought this image had been passed up. Well done Pixl. It is indeed Superior RD looking East. The 30 Signal is down there somewhere. Didn't really think anyone would get this "horrendous" shot :wink: The area to the right is being cleared out fo a 10 million dollar mansion.
And thank you! Taken in about 2010 I believe, It is my laptop background :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

James Sofonia

Standard Railfan wrote:
Pixl wrote:Here is an odd one, an airplane sitting on the tracks of a class 1 railroad, SE Michigan.
This would be about 1000 meters Southwest of Whittaker on the NS ex Wabash line.

Wow, that was fast, you are correct.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:Wow, that was fast, you are correct.
I was in the airplane...

No, seriously. If you search the boards for Whittaker, you will come across a string about the high wide detector that is just SW of the Whittaker Road crossing. I was searching for the detector on Google Earth a couple of years ago and remembered the area. The drain that is just NE of the airplane meets the railroad at a right angle. This is unusual in that the rail line runs SW/NE. For some reason, that feature stayed in my memory so I had an idea where to look.

I think the "airplane" is an alien craft built to look like an airplane. There is no shadow.... :lol:

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailMan5 wrote:The area to the right is being cleared out fo a 10 million dollar mansion.
That is one well off railfan. :lol:

Nice photo ConrailMan5.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I can think of better places to build a 10 million dollar mansion. :roll:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

hoborich wrote:I can think of better places to build a 10 million dollar mansion. :roll:
We refer to it as Disney land. Number one, it is a Georgia plantation style house (so lots of brick). Number two, they have been fighting the land since the beginning. The whole thing was forest. They clear cut everything. They raised the whole property 10 feet so they could put in a basement, added a water mitigation system (the property sits on the Huron river) it has an elevator inside. And no they aren't even fans!
They put in a bunch of stupid looking trees to block the sound of the trains.
I have heard that the crews like it though, because they can see the road better now and vice versa for the drivers.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

For 10 million, I would be thinking Florida Keys waterfront, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, etc. There is nowhere in Michigan I would build a 10 million dollar house!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:For 10 million, I would be thinking Florida Keys waterfront, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, etc. There is nowhere in Michigan I would build a 10 million dollar house!
Right?! Hell, build a 1 million dollar house and have 9 million to buy toys with!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

hoborich wrote:For 10 million, I would be thinking Florida Keys waterfront, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, etc. There is nowhere in Michigan I would build a 10 million dollar house!
Where are you? Sounds like you're in Dreamland! :lol: :lol:
Here is a somewhat tricky location. (Hint:I took this 4 weeks ago....where was Jochs 4 weeks ago?)
upmystery1.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

James Sofonia

Jochs wrote: Here is a somewhat tricky location. (Hint:I took this 4 weeks ago....where was Jochs 4 weeks ago?)
I see a spot that looks to be yours near New Buffalo, Hoder Rd. just North of US-12
Attachments
upmystery1.jpg

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Pixl wrote:
I see a spot that looks to be yours near New Buffalo, Hoder Rd. just North of US-12
I see that you are seeing spots before your eyes! :lol: You are a couple of hundred miles off! :lol:

This picture is on a CSX line. Look closely at the photo and you will see it is an intermodal train...perhaps waiting to get into an intermodal yard ahead?
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jochs wrote:
Pixl wrote:
I see that you are seeing spots before your eyes! :lol: You are a couple of hundred miles off! :lol:

This picture is on a CSX line. Look closely at the photo and you will see it is an intermodal train...perhaps waiting to get into an intermodal yard ahead?
Is it on the Garrett Sub?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

James Sofonia

Aww.. I'm just not connecting with this one. What is UP power doing in Michigan anyhow? UP system map shows tracks only as far East as Chicago.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Jochs wrote:
Pixl wrote:

I would bet this was from the RRfan meet, and the train is trying to get into the North Baltimore Yard. Probably between Deshler and North Baltimore, more specific than that I probably cannot get
Pixl wrote:Aww.. I'm just not connecting with this one. What is UP power doing in Michigan anyhow? UP system map shows tracks only as far East as Chicago.

Run through power and paying back horsepower hours happens quite frequently. There are some trains on CSX that also run with UP post most of the time, like the Q132 that comes to Detroit.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown