Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:You got it. I did not want to give many clues because I figured at least a few people here have actually ridden those rails.
MQT1223 wrote:It's the Greenfield Village Railroad at the Service Rd. Crossing. This crossing is gated and towards the back of the park in an area usually that doesn't get much attention from visitors. It's in some YouTube videos.
I actually never have ridden it.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:Image
Trying to find a depot with that kind of brick... Dowagiac?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

MQT1223 wrote:
Trying to find a depot with that kind of brick... Dowagiac?
Not Dowagiac. But looking for those bricks is a good strategy.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Belding?

James Sofonia

C&O6084 wrote:Belding?
No, not Belding, but I see the depots are similar. Here I have restored some of the cropping I did to the photo that might help.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
No, not Belding, but I see the depots are similar. Here I have restored some of the cropping I did to the photo that might help.

Millersburg? A lot of depot's on the D&M seem to use that style of brick

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote:
Pixl wrote:

Millersburg is a close match, but my mysterious photo was not taken there.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Pixl wrote:

Millersburg is a close match, but my mysterious photo was not taken there.
Ok I have another depot lined up after Millersburg in case, Omer.

I'm looking on the D&M as we speak.

Edit: I will also throw Hillman into the mix, but if that's not it I'm tapping out.

James Sofonia

Sorry 1223, Omer and Hilman are not where this photo was shot. Both are good finds and look almost the same with very minor differences. I'll drop another hint if no one finds it tomorrow. Where is Michael?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

It's not Omer, Hillman, Belding, Dowagiac, or Millersburg. How about Tawas City?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:Sorry 1223, Omer and Hilman are not where this photo was shot. Both are good finds and look almost the same with very minor differences. I'll drop another hint if no one finds it tomorrow. Where is Michael?

I got nothing :oops:

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:It's not Omer, Hillman, Belding, Dowagiac, or Millersburg. How about Tawas City?
AARR you must be grabbing guesses out of the air. Tawas depot has two floors and not even close to this one.

I was working all last week in this town. I was unaware that they ever had rail passenger service here, but talking with a gal at the local dinner about the town history she told me of the depot and where it was located. It was torn down in the early 80's.

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

Pixl wrote:
AARR wrote:It's not Omer, Hillman, Belding, Dowagiac, or Millersburg. How about Tawas City?
AARR you must be grabbing guesses out of the air. Tawas depot has two floors and not even close to this one.

I was working all last week in this town. I was unaware that they ever had rail passenger service here, but talking with a gal at the local dinner about the town history she told me of the depot and where it was located. It was torn down in the early 80's.
Ossineke?

James Sofonia

BDG wrote:
Pixl wrote:

Ossineke?

Ossineke only has two windows on the end. My mystery depot has three.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

You picked a good one Pixl. I'll take a guess with Au Gres. I could not find any information online about it so that is my guess :)
In looking around for it I was amazed to find what elaborate train stations were sometimes built for cities with populations of less than 50 people!

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:You picked a good one Pixl. I'll take a guess with Au Gres. I could not find any information online about it so that is my guess :)
Not Au Gres. This town, like Au Gres has very little info of it's history on line. Thats why I picked it as a "Where am I". Now as a little hint, I always knew about the nearby industrial spur off the mainline (you probably do too) but never knew about the station or the passenger service. The photo did come off the internet, but it is really deep. Extra points if you find it.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

AARR wrote:It's not Omer, Hillman, Belding, Dowagiac, Millersburg, Tawas City or Au Gres. How about National City?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:
AARR wrote:It's not Omer, Hillman, Belding, Dowagiac, Millersburg, Tawas City or Au Gres. How about National City?
Sorry AARR, it's not National City. I think they were only a flag stop, then later a depot was built a little west of town at Emery Jct.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

All I got to say is WOW... this is a REALLY good one. If you say 1980's, then I am going to guess Comins. Comins depot came down in the 80's after receiving minor Tornado damage. It was the last depot left from the Ausable and Northwestern

James Sofonia

MQT1223 wrote:All I got to say is WOW... this is a REALLY good one. If you say 1980's, then I am going to guess Comins. Comins depot came down in the 80's after receiving minor Tornado damage. It was the last depot left from the Ausable and Northwestern
The Comins depot was torn down in the 80's, but that is about the only thing common with my depot. Go North.
Last edited by James Sofonia on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.