Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

No, no, and no. Hint: this photo was taken during a railroadfan.com meet. I know all 3 members seen.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Probably too easy...bonus points if you can name everyone in the photo (usernames, not real names)...
Butler, IN
From left to right. ~Z~ (squatting with camera), INE-KP with dark hat on, PAT.C with yellow hat.
You can tell it is at least in MI or IN based on the I&ME CO (Indiana and Michigan Electric Company) plate on the pole. It is a spring photo based on the high sun angle and the lack of leaves on the trees.
Here is a google view of the area, the crossing at IN state route 1 at the NS Chicago Line in Butler, IN.
butler1.png
GreatlLakesRailfan took the photo from underneath the telephone pole on the left (in the background with the guy wire.) next to basketball court, a few feet from the light pole.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Jochs wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Probably too easy...bonus points if you can name everyone in the photo (usernames, not real names)...
Butler, IN
From left to right. ~Z~ (squatting with camera), INE-KP with dark hat on, PAT.C with yellow hat.
Jochs for the win!

I figured with ~Z~ and Pat C. in the photo someone would have it right away...but now Jochs is going to make me go back and check which meet the shot was taken at...the date on the photo is 4/5/2008, so...yes, it was in the spring.
~ Charles W.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Jochs wrote:
Butler, IN

You can tell it is at least in MI or IN based on the I&ME CO (Indiana and Michigan Electric Company) plate on the pole. It is a spring photo based on the high sun angle and the lack of leaves on the trees.
Nice job noticing the small details.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I recognized the folks in the photo but not the location. I assumed it was Butler and a meet but wasn't sure where.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageDSCN0273 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

James Sofonia

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:ImageDSCN0273 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Earlier today I looked at this, and said hell I'll never find this one. But this afternoon no one had solved it and I took another close look. S. Morrell St., Detroit. The structure that looks like a parking garage is the remains of the Detroit Harbor Terminal. But the main clue that led me here is the small sliver of the Ambassador Bridge barely visible in the distance. Clever camera angle CRD. :)

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Where was I when I recently took these two photos?
csxmyst1.jpg
csxmyst2.jpg
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I have to guess it was between St Joseph MI and Noblesville IN. Pretty sure in IN along US-31 somewhere, but not sure where.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:I have to guess it was between St Joseph MI .....
Have there been autoracks on a CSX train out of GR recently?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
~Z~ wrote:I have to guess it was between St Joseph MI .....
Have there been autoracks on a CSX train out of GR recently?
In my entire time living here I've only ever seen ONE single autorack on a train leave Grand Rapids. I think Jochs was more in Indiana on say the Garrett Sub for example then in Michigan unless he was east of Lansing.

Such a contrast compared to when I lived in Holly where the CN Holly Sub was flooded with Autoracks on a daily basis as well as the occasional few on the Saginaw Sub.

I will add that in the second photo the two signs appear to maybe say One Lane Bridge or something like that, because it appears the road veers to the right to go under the tracks. Also, there are still searchlights in place, so that should I think eliminate the Grand Rapids Sub unless there are searchlights still in place on the southern end. I'm not familiar with the tracks south of Holland.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: In my entire time living here I've only ever seen ONE single autorack on a train leave Grand Rapids.
To the west, or overall? Just a few years ago, X500 was often leaving Grand Rapids to the east with autoracks.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: In my entire time living here I've only ever seen ONE single autorack on a train leave Grand Rapids.
To the west, or overall? Just a few years ago, X500 was often leaving Grand Rapids to the east with autoracks.
I should've been more specific, west. But then again I can't get to the tracks as much as some people can so my observations could be very inaccurate.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
Wasn't X500 a CP train? And CP would have had plenty of reason to haul autoracks to Chicago, via Grand Rapids. Why would CSX haul autoracks to Grand Rapids? Is there a shipper or receiver on that end of the PM that would need them?

I thought Jochs photos might have been in Reynolds (IN), but the angles aren't quite right.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
J T wrote:
Wasn't X500 a CP train? And CP would have had plenty of reason to haul autoracks to Chicago, via Grand Rapids. Why would CSX haul autoracks to Grand Rapids? Is there a shipper or receiver on that end of the PM that would need them?
Who said anything about CSX hauling autoracks to Grand Rapids? :P

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:Who said anything about CSX hauling autoracks to Grand Rapids? :P
J T wrote:Have there been autoracks on a CSX train out of GR recently?
Apparently it was you. :?
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
J T wrote:Who said anything about CSX hauling autoracks to Grand Rapids? :P
J T wrote:Have there been autoracks on a CSX train out of GR recently?
Apparently it was you. :?
I was asking because of Zack's guess on Jeff's photo. Follow along! :P

James Sofonia

Jeff,
I'm not finding it, Ive been in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. Could you at least tell us what state to look in?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

I'm starting to lean toward Kentucky. I seem to recall seeing Jeff among the throngs taking in the street running down there a few weeks ago.
~ Charles W.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

The train in this photo did go down a street shortly before passing through this location.
It is not in MI or IN, and taken in December 2015.. I was in MI, IN, OH, KY, and IL in December of last year.
GreatLakesRailfan appears to be leaning in the right direction.

The road signs are indicating that the road dead ends ahead, at the interstate.
The old Shell sign is visible from that interstate. The Shell station is closed....they haven't used the red-bordered Shell signs in years.

Here is another view of the signal:
signalmyst1.jpg
Also, the train was not all autoracks.
djtx.jpg
And for the record, CP train X747 used to haul autoracks westbound through Grand Rapids until around 2004. It now runs as CP147 on the NS. It runs on the old Wabash and takes the Chicago Line west at Butler, IN.
Jeff O.