Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Stuck in mud

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by Michael »

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Wyandotte?
Michael wrote:Image
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

It's not Wyandotte. I believe this customer is serviced by NS

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Michael wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:
Pixl wrote:Image
Frankenmuth. M-83 and Genesee Street.

So this is the old Interurban station for the Michigan Electric Railway then Pixl?
GTW, you are correct.
Michael, yes that is the interurban station. Really big structure for a small town, I read that it currently houses a very good restaurant.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Georgia-Pacific in Albion?
AARR wrote:Wyandotte? It's not Wyandotte. I believe this customer is serviced by NS
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

You are on the right track. You are getting closer both geographically and with the industry.
AARR wrote:Georgia-Pacific in Albion?
AARR wrote:Wyandotte? It's not Wyandotte. I believe this customer is serviced by NS

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Georgia-Pacific in Milan?
Michael wrote:Georgia-Pacific in Albion? You are on the right track. You are getting closer both geographically and with the industry.
Wyandotte? It's not Wyandotte. I believe this customer is serviced by NS
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Dowagiac

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Is that Ameriwood, Buster?
Buster Manning wrote:Dowagiac

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Is that Ameriwood, Buster?
Buster Manning wrote:Dowagiac

Good job Buster. Ameriwood in Dowagiac

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

It is probably not hard to believe but these old embedded rails are in the city of Detroit and within 5 miles of downtown. In looking at old maps there were a number of spurs and track in this area serving an industry.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Michael wrote:It is probably not hard to believe but these old embedded rails are in the city of Detroit and within 5 miles of downtown. In looking at old maps there were a number of spurs and track in this area serving an industry.
Forman st. near Barron st. we use to service the scrap yard there out of River Rouge yard on 2nd trick. One time we were told that we should put are feet up because it was going to be a while before Delray could handle us. Needless to say, when we put our feet back down, we couldn't see out the windows because of the snow.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Are there still rails on either side of the street or have they all been pulled up?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

You got it MD Bentley. It is an interesting neighborhood for sure. A few narrow, overgrown streets with garbage strewn about mixed with a few very nice well maintained homes.

The rails are only in the roads it looks like JT but here is what it looked like in 1984

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Michael wrote:
The rails are only in the roads it looks like JT but here is what it looked like in 1984
It's baffling to me that those signs are still there. People with the railroad were too lazy to take them down when the rails were ripped out? Locals too lazy to steal them? :lol:
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

This is cool. A crossbuck mounted on a building with a crossing bell. So weird but creative.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:
This is cool. A crossbuck mounted on a building with a crossing bell. So weird but creative.
It's necessary. They don't spot cars just inside the door- the track goes through the building and extends some distance out the other side. When they switch Ameriwood, the locomotive(s) have to travel through the building. Coming through that overhead door, it's kind of a blind corner, hence the crossing bell. I had the privilege of watching them switch Ameriwood once several years ago, when they were still using patched Conrail geeps, with Signmaster24. It was quite an experience.
~ Charles W.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

What amazes me is the number of streets in Detroit, where no cars or people are visible, and the overgrown streets are slowly being reclaimed by nature.
Locals too lazy to steal them?
They would have no value to the locals. They would only be of any value to a railfan. Which brings us back to a recent thread. Would taking them now be stealing?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote: They would have no value to the locals. They would only be of any value to a railfan. Which brings us back to a recent thread. Would taking them now be stealing?
I disagree. In my lifetime, I've seen plenty of railroad signs in houses of people who weren't railfans (usually college kids). Non-railfans think having railroad signs are cool, just like they think it's cool to be photographed on railroad tracks. So that's why I'm surprised that they are still there.
Last edited by J T on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote: It's necessary. They don't spot cars just inside the door- the track goes through the building and extends some distance out the other side. When they switch Ameriwood, the locomotive(s) have to travel through the building. Coming through that overhead door, it's kind of a blind corner, hence the crossing bell. I had the privilege of watching them switch Ameriwood once several years ago, when they were still using patched Conrail geeps, with Signmaster24. It was quite an experience.
Yeah, but who is the crossbuck for? Like who would be walking up to the building to see the crossbuck there, not aware of the tracks they are nearly standing on?