D&M Caboose Restored at Greenfield Village

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

D&M Caboose Restored at Greenfield Village

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The caboose under restoration in the roundhouse at Greenfield Village is finished and looks amazing. Wonder if they will use it in revenue service. I also wonder what will be worked on next. A lot of signs point to 0-6-0 #8. Cannot post a link at the moment, but the photo is in Michigan Railfans on Facebook.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AWF
Railroadfan...fan

Re: D&M Caboose Restored at Greenfield Village

Unread post by AWF »

It will not be used in revenue service. Interior work will follow next winter while I continue to tinker with it throughout the summer.
Aaron

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AWF wrote:It will not be used in revenue service. Interior work will follow next winter while I continue to tinker with it throughout the summer.
Will any of the freight cars on static display get any paint work? What's next for the railroad to get restored?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AWF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AWF »

There is no painting scheduled at this time, our UTLX tank car received a new paint job last winter. Hard to say what will be next..I may work on the NYC crane idler car and stabilize that for the time being.
Aaron

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Is this the caboose that sat for years at a city park on the lakefront in Tawas City?
Owosso Steve

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Is No 8 gonna go in the shop?

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

MQT1223 wrote:Is No 8 gonna go in the shop?
I heard last year from one of the GFV employees that, if No. 8 was ever brought in the shop, it would be a long overhaul, more intended to show guests the process of a steam engine rebuild than to actually get it operating for the railroad. With 3 engines working it would now be excess power. Though, he also said a few years ago the boiler was inspected and said to be in much better shape than #7's when they began, and that it would not take as much to get it operational. The cab components sitting in the weather is the worst part right now. I'm sure AWF can confirm or deny any of this, though.

Btw, totally agree on the D&M caboose, it looks fantastic. Even the little D&M turtle was faithfully reproduced on the side.

I noticed the last few days that employees keep going in it sporadically, is it being used as some sort of break room at this point?

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

While I'm here, here's two photos of the caboose from last weekend. Taken with my phone, sorry for the poor quality.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

iandt wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Is No 8 gonna go in the shop?
I heard last year from one of the GFV employees that, if No. 8 was ever brought in the shop, it would be a long overhaul, more intended to show guests the process of a steam engine rebuild than to actually get it operating for the railroad. With 3 engines working it would now be excess power. Though, he also said a few years ago the boiler was inspected and said to be in much better shape than #7's when they began, and that it would not take as much to get it operational. The cab components sitting in the weather is the worst part right now. I'm sure AWF can confirm or deny any of this, though.

Btw, totally agree on the D&M caboose, it looks fantastic. Even the little D&M turtle was faithfully reproduced on the side.

I remember a few years back that the tender trucks were overhauled and the tender frame was blasted and painted on No 8 while No 7 was being worked on. Is that any indication of impending work?

I noticed the last few days that employees keep going in it sporadically, is it being used as some sort of break room at this point?

AWF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AWF »

iandt wrote:

No. 8 will get its turn in due time. The boiler is in good condition. The frame and running gear need a fair amount of work, as does the tender tank. If it is restored, it will be for service, not to show the process of a rebuild. I think No. 7 did a good job of doing that.

The caboose has turned into a break area of sorts, resulting in the occasional railroad ops employee entering or leaving the car.
Aaron

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Here's a good question too. Do you restore #8 as a D&M or Michigan Alkali engine?

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

MQT1223 wrote:Here's a good question too. Do you restore #8 as a D&M or Michigan Alkali engine?
I believe it was originally a D&M engine, purchased used by Michigan Alkali, then restored and donated by the D&M. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say restoration would be as a D&M engine.
RR Pass Collector