Great Lakes Central Updates October 2016

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates October 2016

Unread post by TC Man »

4 center beam loads in Cadillac now. Lots of Coke cars too. Seems more than usual coke cars?

I'm betting on a TC run tomorrow with those 4 cars! 3 came in yesterday, but the one has been there since Monday- wonder if Amerhart is getting anxious, or there were cool with waiting....
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Selma Yard had coke cars on three of the yard tracks last Sunday. Maybe around 20 total. They seem to go through 10 a week.
TC Man wrote:Lots of Coke cars too. Seems more than usual coke cars?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

396 and 395 returned to Cadillac at 1615 with 1 covered hopper, 3 coke hoppers, 8 tie loads, 10 tanks and 1 boxcar.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Holy cow! With the box car, we're looking at a 5 car train to Traverse City tomorrow! Pixl, you going to be on the case tomorrow with your camera?

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Well I'll try. With a few appointments I do have the day off. Stay tuned.
Time departed from Cadillac will help.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Moved to Cadillac's North Yard around 0930. Don't know if they have headed north out of town yet.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Northbound out of Cadillac at 1015

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

AA southbound under Michigan Ave. with what looks like a grain unit.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Thanks for the update! That should put it arriving into TC about 12:30 or so. Hopefully I can scoot over and see it a moment...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

GLC arrived in Traverse City about 12:10, ran around the train and headed to Williamsburg (Bates) about 12:20. Followed to 3 Mile Road, but couldn't get pics- barely able to keep up with it in traffic. GLC hi-rail following about 1 mile behind. Nice to see a decent sized train up here (probably longest since the 2 33 car ballast trains a couple years ago).

One of the center beams has a REALLY bad flat spot pounding quite loudly.

James Sofonia

Yea it can be hard to chase a train thru TC due to the traffic and lights. I was in a restaurant at the time and missed the show. I might be able to catch the return but will probably be just two locos and no cars as usual all I see here.

James Sofonia

Well thinking they usually take two hours to come back thru TC I sat at the Bunker Rd. crossing from 2:15 to 2:30 no train for me. Anyone see it come back?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

They were back in TC by 2:15pm (heard the horns). So they must have just left the cars at Amerhart (with 5 loads, might as well give them the weekend to unload) and came right back.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I read at MichiganRailrods.com it was three center beams and a box car. They brought back one empty center beam. Whether it's four or five inbound loads that's a nice unit train fro Traverse City :) .
TC Man wrote:They were back in TC by 2:15pm (heard the horns). So they must have just left the cars at Amerhart (with 5 loads, might as well give them the weekend to unload) and came right back.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC railman »

I caught the train in TC yesterday I will get the videos up as soon as possible!!! Chased it to amehart!!

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

Southbound grain with GLC 399, 385, 390?, 398 in Durand at 10:15 AM.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC railman »

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Drove past Selma Yard this evening. Those empty centerbeams that came into town a short while back are still there. Maybe someone on the board can find out where they came from and where they are headed once they start moving again.

Reporting marks: LRS 178, 179, 180 and 181.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Biewer Sawmill in McBain, maybe?
AANscaleRunner wrote:Drove past Selma Yard this evening. Those empty centerbeams that came into town a short while back are still there. Maybe someone on the board can find out where they came from and where they are headed once they start moving again.

Reporting marks: LRS 178, 179, 180 and 181.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Went to Geers Farms in McBain today with the family, and made a few observations:

Cadillac north yard at the Mac facility were about 6 TSBY/GLC hoppers at the transload, being loaded. Many tanks, plastics hoppers, an empty NOKL center beam from Traverse City (they did have 4 loads plus a box car last week, they just happened to sneak one load a couple days before Fridays 4 car train.

Two locos sitting outside the engine house. 2 hoppers at the Andersons facility (Richardson or something like that).

In McBain, McBain Grain (?? I think) has 2 hopper cars on their siding, which looks like GLC has been digging out of the mud and replacing ties and some rail.

At Viking Energy, 5 tie cars on the spur lead and 5 or 6 on each of the two unloading sidings.