LAKE STATE SCRAPPING RS-ALCOS -- URGENT!!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

LAKE STATE SCRAPPING RS-ALCOS -- URGENT!!

Unread post by RailCanon »

I cannot reveal my source for this information, but here is everything I have been told.
The order has come down from Jim George, the owner of Lake State, to scrap EVERY piece of rolling stock that is either bad ordered or in need of repair. This includes the former D&M freight cars that have been mentioned at the Michiganrailroads.com message boards (20 of those cars have been scrapped in the past week, alone...), but it also includes the following locomotives. Details of their statuses are included:
1195 RS-11 - In Saginaw. Was being rewired and is torn apart presently.
975 RS-3m - May already be scrapped... no recent sightings of it
974 RS-3m - In Saginaw. Is operational, but has a bent frame.

469 - RS2u - In Saginaw, needs new seals, but other than that, is in good condition.
The mechanical forces at Lake State are aware of 469's significance and would like to save it in someway. Unfortunately, the lowest going price for it is $20,000 and the scrap value is $40,000. If anyone here has that money ($20,000), or has the need for a locomotive, or just wants to save this engine, CONTACT LAKE STATES IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The 469 is one of the last remaining RS-2s anywhere, as well as one of the very first built, and was the last operational RS-2 in regular service in North America. For these reasons, it deserves preservation. PLEASE HELP SAVE 469!!

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Geez Greg, if they need to be scrapped, then let them be. Nothing we can do about it. Besides they were probably a maintenance headache anyway
Exit stage left

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

It's sad to see the original RS2's being scrapped. Especially since they were in service for so many years after other ALCo's. It's a testimony to the maintenance crews for D&M.

I'd like to see RS2u 466 saved since that was the first RS2 built. It'd be nice if they could place it in a park in Bay City, Alpena, or Tawas City.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

When Jim had a few tracks here and there that old power was ok, but now
he has a full fledged railroad operation that needs reliable power and although he doesn't seem to think so.. decent track. I think it's sink or swim time and some changes had better take place or the bankruptcy bells will be ringing.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

jukeman wrote:When Jim had a few tracks here and there that old power was ok, but now
he has a full fledged railroad operation that needs reliable power and although he doesn't seem to think so.. decent track. I think it's sink or swim time and some changes had better take place or the bankruptcy bells will be ringing.
that or some hostile takeover is in over. I think some anarchy needs to be declared on the Lake State Railway
Exit stage left

EMDACESteve
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by EMDACESteve »

Well side Dennis. Its nice to know you and I actually agree and feel the same way about something. :wink: :lol:
It took SBS over a week to get that track back in service where that tankcar derailed. :roll:
Last edited by EMDACESteve on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

ALCOs

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

American Locomotive has been out of buisiness how long?
These units are how old?

As much as I enjoyed the belching ALCo smoke and the classic lines,
these longtime favorite units are long overdue for retirement and should be~! Steam was fantastic from a fan standpoint, but that had to come to an end too.

Im sure that the retirement of these old beasts is necessary for Lake States survival as a profitable rail carrier, not a museum.. they probably just required too much work. We cant save everything, so enjoy it while it lasts. I miss my old truck, but getting to work reliably was more important than running a Dodge Museum. Hopefully they can make some track upgrades as well. Best luck to LSRC and thanks for the Info!

I just tossed out a brand new car with a dead engine, the cost of putting a new one in was more than the car was worth, that being said and in this economy, they may be better off upgrading as opposed to patching up an old rust bucket.

As I look back on all these great photos, it wasnt really the chase to catch all these rare old ALCos, but the good times I had with my friends going on trips along the old Huron Shore.

Weather it be an RS2 from 1946, or give me a Furbie Rent a Wreck SD43MRBQ-7ACU MK Special, the last of the leavins doesn't take the real fun out of chasing trains, its good to see any train these days!

Mike

P.S. (Watch me get all worked up when they throw those perfectly good C425s with the nice Leslie RS5Ts Out! lol)

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I don't have a problem with seeing the RS-11 and the two RS-3m's go.
But 469 is historically significant and very very rare. Even if it never runs again, it is fully worthy of preservation.
And for the record, the Centuries are fine for the time being.
The M420s are a different story...

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

EMDACESteve wrote:Well side Dennis. Its nice to know you and I actually agree and feel the same way about something. :wink: :lol:
It took SBS over a week to get that track back in service where that tankcar derailed. :roll:

Funny how life works, huh

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

If I had the money and a large barn/storage shed with rail access I would buy it in a second. On that note has anyone got a contact at Greenfield Village? They might/ could be interested? Just a thought....
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

Al
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Al »

the 469 won't be scrapped
Allen

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

Is that the word from Henny Penny, Cocky Locky and Ducky Doodle LOL

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

anyone know were 1195 or 975 and maybe get pictures

Al
Railroadfan...fan

locos

Unread post by Al »

try Rifkin
Allen

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I think every member should donate money and put it all into buying LSRC 469, buy some property, and put it there as the "Railroadfan" monument! :D -Chris

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Re: locos

Unread post by penn central »

Last edited by penn central on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

penn central wrote:
Al wrote:try Rifkin
i was by rifkin today thay are there, i hope everybody got there picture's
Could you tell which units were there?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Last edited by penn central on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

I wish C&M had the money to take them. And I would park 1195 in my driveway and fix it, hehe.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Last edited by penn central on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.