And the PM-era signals start to fall on the GR sub :(

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

And the PM-era signals start to fall on the GR sub :(

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Looks like CSX may be starting the cutover for the new signals this week near Michigan City IN. They have Porter-New Buffalo listed on their curfew page under train control projects (look near the bottom of the page):
http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=customer ... il&i=28351
Last time I checked a few months ago, they all the new ones in (and bagged) between Porter and Joy (next signal east of the Michigan City siding), but I hadn't checked anything between Joy and New Buffalo...guess a road trip today is in order.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Thanks for the update, I too have been meaning to take a trip down that way to see what the status of the signals were. If you do decide to go, let us know what you find.

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

Here is the story, they are still installing ATCS for the cutover and the signals at both E.E. New Buffalo and W.E. New Buffalo still need to be put in. Just started to run the wires for the NB siding and should be done with that beginning of May. But all the signals are up west of the siding. There will be a signal suspension while they test the new signals and should cut them in during that time, but look for them to run on blocks and permission passed red boards until the New Buffalo siding is done, in mid to late May.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

i think you mean michigan city not new buffalo. new buffalo will be the last signal still in service going west until you get to the ns

Rob

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

rob wrote:i think you mean michigan city not new buffalo. new buffalo will be the last signal still in service going west until you get to the ns

Rob
Not true, there will be the Joy holdout signal, along with the east and west end of Michigan City. The Porter signal was removed, there was little need for it anyway. The signal suspension was done this week, started on Monday and finished on Wensday.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

I think you guys have both posted a little confusing info :) They certainly aren't leaving the signals suspended until New Buffalo was done, sometime in mid-late May (as EJEdispatcher said), since they're done already with the suspension.. And I think rob meant the last signal at New Buffalo in service going west was the "last PM era signal". True about Porter, since the siding is long gone, that signal was no longer needed. They moved it back to just west of the IN-49 overpass (behind one of the motels there...I shot pics of it from the parking lot of a neighboring office building late last year)
It looks like they're just starting at New Buffalo. When I was there last week, they had a base in the ground at the west end, and I saw tubes dug in under the Bell Road crossing at the east end.

PM WHITECLOUD
Railroadfan...fan

signal ee porter

Unread post by PM WHITECLOUD »

beg pardon but the signal at the east end of the old porter siding
was very handy.
It let the westbounds know that they were lined up on the NS at
the west end of porter.
It served kinda like a hold out signal.
It was alwo useful for the roadway to make track inspections.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

csxdispatcher wrote:
rob wrote:i think you mean michigan city not new buffalo. new buffalo will be the last signal still in service going west until you get to the ns

Rob
Not true, there will be the Joy holdout signal, along with the east and west end of Michigan City. The Porter signal was removed, there was little need for it anyway. The signal suspension was done this week, started on Monday and finished on Wensday.
I meant during the signal suspension. there was no changes to new buffalo as of yet.

the last trip through there I saw the orange tube sticking out of the ground. now that they are done with the suspension they are starting to move east.

Rob
Last edited by rob on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnieland
Owner of Donnieland's Outpost

hi gordon

Unread post by donnieland »

great to see you on the board today.
hope all is well.
miss hearing the following
" welcome to second trick csx aw train dispatcher "
the rn desk could use a few tips on dispatching the terr.
don baxter

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Re: signal ee porter

PM WHITECLOUD wrote:beg pardon but the signal at the east end of the old porter siding
was very handy.
It let the westbounds know that they were lined up on the NS at
the west end of porter.
It served kinda like a hold out signal.
It was alwo useful for the roadway to make track inspections.
Well, since the Porter signal was removed, the new intermediate that they moved back should serve the same purpose, I would think. If it shows Approach, you're probably not lined up at CP 482 :)
Also, I second donnieland...we miss you up here! I heard you when I was on vacation last October on the desk south of Columbus OH. There was a train that was having problems with getting the unlock for a switch to make a setout.

PM WHITECLOUD
Railroadfan...fan

EE PORTER

Yes except the DS has no control over an immed signal.
Yes the Q635 seemed to have a little tble.
2nd CR is soon to be history also,
I have bidded in the 2 nd trick in Atlanta
that will have control over the line from BHAM ALA to
Manchester GA and from
Montgomery ALA to Fairburn GA

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

That's why NS Chicago West still has the hold-out signal at CP238 on the Amtrak Line.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Re: EE PORTER

PM WHITECLOUD wrote:Yes except the DS has no control over an immed signal.
Could you see when CR/NS lined up the signal going west at CP 482 on your screen? I know a train crew could tell, since they'd only have Approach at the east end of Porter. I assume you could see when NS would line one up from their line toward Grand Rapids?
Another neat thing, the CP 482 (west end Porter) signal was an interesting one until 1995. They had a 3 blade semaphore until then. I assum

PM WHITECLOUD
Railroadfan...fan

PM signal era ending

No I could not see the NS do anything at 482
first time I knew NS had anyone coming was a track light
would come on the first track section west of the east end
Porter