NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by midland sub »

I like to occasionally appear to make a statement of truth and clarity about this weird obsession of many here, that initially those such as yourself find difficult to process, then 3 or 4 years later you're saying it verbatim. I do have to say this thread has settled in nicely without the unfounded comments of many as in the past. Though the moronic posts at the Facebook groups is never ending. Contacting the McCoy Lumber directly about supplying ties to a short line and then sharing that you did.... Lawd Have Mercy when shall it ever end with the goofy behavior this old rail line begets.......

You're welcome.
heypal6878 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:18 pm
Mark someone told me you passed away. I said no such luck! He will come out from under his rock here soon. Sure enough any news about the Peavine you come out of your hole.

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by scraphauler »

Favorite line - “As a member of the Cincinnati Eastern Railroad Fans Facebook Group…”. Oy Vey - these people are exhausting.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Mark pal for the first time I do agree with you. I did read that Facebook post from that guy who doesn't even live in Ohio and wants the CCET to give that shortline a price on railroad ties. He has no business getting into any railroad business about ties or anything else. The CCET management doesn't need that. Not sure why he is involved or what he is trying to do. He has made some outlandish comments in the last year I just shake my head. I didn't even respond to his comments he was really out of line.

The CCET is doing pretty well considering NS really just gave up on the line. Between storage of cars and now getting new business on the line the rail is seeing daily traffic. It is better than no traffic at all. Sure it isn't as great as the I&O from Norwood to Washington Courthouse but it is better than just being closed for good. Hats off to the company to stick with the line and get business back on that rail. The rail will never be opened past the 78 mile marker but hey do they really will never need it.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

That one hurt the CCET but sooner or later there was going to be an accident on that rail like this one. The rails up there are old rotten and heavy rock cars going over the rails a few days a week eventually the rails just gave way. But the same thing happened not long ago on the I&O as well track work needs to be maintained. The old Peavine rails and ties are in bad shape on parts of that line. They need to be inspected and replaced before the Purina Plant opens as more traffic may be on that line.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It looks like the scrap metal company in Sardina is closed. Seems like the opened just a few short years ago. Does anyone know what happened?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

Downsizing - Cohen closed a number of smaller underperforming facilities.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

TY for the response
scraphauler wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 10:08 am
Downsizing - Cohen closed a number of smaller underperforming facilities.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... -railroad/

Don't know too much about these guys but it seems their roads out east have done pretty well. Here's hoping!

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

The line is in good hands. Regional Rail has a good “track record” and is well funded. In a great position to make the needed investments to take company to next level. Construction to hook up Purina’s lines will start in next few weeks. Watch for track and other improvements over the next couple years as Purina starts ramping up next year.

This changes nothing on east end. Rarden to Vera will be abandoned and given to State of Ohio/Scioto County for use as a trail. There is no stopping that. STB filings will take place in next few months.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

scraphauler wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:01 pm
The line is in good hands. Regional Rail has a good “track record” and is well funded. In a great position to make the needed investments to take company to next level. Construction to hook up Purina’s lines will start in next few weeks. Watch for track and other improvements over the next couple years as Purina starts ramping up next year.

This changes nothing on east end. Rarden to Vera will be abandoned and given to State of Ohio/Scioto County for use as a trail. There is no stopping that. STB filings will take place in next few months.
Why would NS now be abandoning the east end of the line, when they've let it sit for so long unused? What has changed that will cause the railroad to all of the sudden file the paperwork to abandon this section?

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:06 pm
Why would NS now be abandoning the east end of the line, when they've let it sit for so long unused? What has changed that will cause the railroad to all of the sudden file the paperwork to abandon this section?

In order for the City of Cincinnati to sell the Cincinnati Southern to Norfolk Southern, Ohio law had to be changed to allow for it. Representatives from House District 90 and 93 teamed up to make the law change contingent upon NS agreeing to abandon and donate this corridor to State/County. So as such, if you go pull up the STB documentation associated with the sale of the Cincinnati Southern to NS, you will see that in the sales agreement, NS agreed to these demands. The sales agreement has been executed, so NS is contractually obligated to follow through. They have been working through the details on the abandonment and transfer of 5 miles from Jaybird Road to Rarden with the State/County and CCET. All agreements are close and once everyone signs off, they will file with STB who will rubber stamp and track from 500ft east of east end Raden siding to Vera will be removed.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

scraphauler wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:41 pm
chapmaja wrote:

In order for the City of Cincinnati to sell the Cincinnati Southern to Norfolk Southern, Ohio law had to be changed to allow for it. Representatives from House District 90 and 93 teamed up to make the law change contingent upon NS agreeing to abandon and donate this corridor to State/County. So as such, if you go pull up the STB documentation associated with the sale of the Cincinnati Southern to NS, you will see that in the sales agreement, NS agreed to these demands. The sales agreement has been executed, so NS is contractually obligated to follow through. They have been working through the details on the abandonment and transfer of 5 miles from Jaybird Road to Rarden with the State/County and CCET. All agreements are close and once everyone signs off, they will file with STB who will rubber stamp and track from 500ft east of east end Raden siding to Vera will be removed.
Good reason. Thanks

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you scrap hauler.

Where are the original posters to this thread? When the line was close to abandonment they posted frequently and now that it's turning into something they don't post anymore. :?
chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:46 pm
scraphauler wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:41 pm
chapmaja wrote:

Good reason. Thanks

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

One more thing. Does this mean that Cincinnati Eastern will be gaining additional track access as a result of this deal? Since the Peavine will no longer exist as a through route, it would make since that all trackage from the end of the line to Clare Yard would be under the CET control (even if no customers exist beyond Jay Bird Rd.)

scraphauler
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:02 pm
One more thing. Does this mean that Cincinnati Eastern will be gaining additional track access as a result of this deal? Since the Peavine will no longer exist as a through route, it would make since that all trackage from the end of the line to Clare Yard would be under the CET control (even if no customers exist beyond Jay Bird Rd.)
Correct. NS will extend CCET’s lease to new end of track. No business out there but opens more storage options.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

scraphauler wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:50 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:02 pm
Correct. NS will extend CCET’s lease to new end of track. No business out there but opens more storage options.
Sounds like everyone wins. NS gets rid of a line they never seemed to have intention to run. The state gets to have a new trail system to attract visitors, and CCET gets more space to earn money from rail revenue.

I don't think there every would be a need for the line again as a through route and no real customer potential from Vera to the end of the CCET.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

When the line comes up will it be NS employees doing the work or a contractor? Will the scrap already be sold before it comes up also? I’d like to buy some stuff but know that’s probably not easy anymore.