Trackmobiles

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

cnw8835 wrote:
One of the elevators up in Pigeon (not the big one) has a modified tractor, as does the elevator in Imlay City (sorry, I know you weren't asking for those)...but does anyone know if the big elevator in Pigeon would have one?
Last I saw its just the tractor. I don't believe that Michigan Bean a bit farther north has one either. The bean plant just east of Elkton has a trackmobile though I do believe. They also use a tractor at the elevator in Colling.
I was referring to Michigan Bean, I think. Didn't know the big elevator had anything to move cars with. Saw the MB one once (from a distance)...looked like a big John Deere with a three-point-coupler...
~ Charles W.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

The Knappen flour mill in Augusta has one also...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

A crappy shot of one of the units at the sugar plant in Bay City:

My full size shot reveals it is a TM 4150.
~ Charles W.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Last time I checked, there was one in Lake Odessa, but I'm not sure what the company is. On the North side of the track. I have a pic somewhere, but I just have to find it...
Just a Fat Guy

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

Twin City foods in lake o.

There is on at the elevator in weberville. the emd engine switches the grain elevator and the trackmobile switches the tracks that has the tank cars.

Rob

PSK at CH45.2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PSK at CH45.2 »

mikekmac: Anyone else have photos?
Check out the attached link. KC caught one of your "little ones" at the cement plant in Elmira.

http://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMich ... 46159.html
Pete (PSK at CH45.2)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

There is on at the elevator in weberville. the emd engine switches the grain elevator and the trackmobile switches the tracks that has the tank cars.
The track with the tanker cars is The Andersons Fertilizer Terminal. In addition to tankers of nitrogen they also get covered hoppers of dry fertilizer.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

paperman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by paperman »

I'll post a few pics of the new Rail King switcher here at the PCA mill. I will also look for a few of what happens when you don't make enough room at a switch and try to pass a set of parked cars.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Not 100% sure, but CN has something a lot like that working around the car shops in Pontiac, visible just off Cass ave.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Got a closer look in Pontiac Yard - it does say "Trackmobile" on the side...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Conrail Jon wrote:Thought of another one. Amway/Alticor in Ada on the GRE has atleast 1.
Yeah it was pictured in Dick DeVos' Gubernatiorial (I think that is spelled right) Commerical.....

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

CN has one at East Yard in Detroit.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Yea Twin City Foods has a trackmobile. All the times Ive been out there, I have never seen it in use, but it does get used. Also, the ethanol plant in Woodbury has one, although it is red not orange/yellow.

Edit: I went to Lake O today and apparently the increased business at the elevator has made them get a Trackmobile too. It looks to be quite old. They are now unloading seed from hoppers with a new conveyer beside the mail elevator.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

It's not in Michigan, but it's close. The NIPSCO power plant at Michigan City IN has a trackmobile. It's a model 4500, and used to switch the empties out of the car dumper (they have some goofy kitbashed engine to shove the loads in...switcher frame, cat engine, EMD cab/nose) Got to see it in action last Saturday during a tour of the plant :)

CERY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CERY »

There is one in Woodbury at the Ethanol plant.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

csxt4617 wrote:It's not in Michigan, but it's close. The NIPSCO power plant at Michigan City IN has a trackmobile. It's a model 4500, and used to switch the empties out of the car dumper (they have some goofy kitbashed engine to shove the loads in...switcher frame, cat engine, EMD cab/nose) Got to see it in action last Saturday during a tour of the plant :)
Lucky!
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

rob wrote:Twin City foods in lake o.

Rob
Really. I've never seen it. I wonder if ADM has a PAO...

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

PSK at CH45.2 wrote:
mikekmac: Anyone else have photos?
Check out the attached link. KC caught one of your "little ones" at the cement plant in Elmira.

http://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMich ... 46159.html
Oh, great pics, thanks. That could be a 5TM. There are at least a few still in service, as in the second photo on this page:

http://www.trackmobile.com/industryfocuscement.htm

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Padnos Turner Street yard in GR has a "new to them" trackmobile. They also have a red GE. Not sure if it's the old one repainted or a "new" one.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

The big elevator in Breckenridge has one. They keep it in a building across the street from the elevator. Saw it today, but couldn't get a shot (they were driving it into the garage).

Also, the big elevator in Hemlock appears to have one as well.
~ Charles W.