Lake Orion branch operation observations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Lake Orion branch operation observations

Unread post by David Collins »

I decided to start this thread for the people that may be curious about the operations on the CN Lake Orion Branch, and for those to document the trains they may see on it.

Carloads are rough estimates, but are made as accurate as possible given past trends. As much as I try to get out there and shoot the job that works it, I simply don’t have the time.

These observations come courtesy of myself and other railfans. If you see a train on the branch, make sure to drop your report here as well as the CN heads up thread.

In order to make this thread work as effectively as possible, information I would like is:

Engine #
What industries were worked
How many cars were picked up/dropped off
How many cars leaving the branch compared to what the train came with

The branch for those who don’t know consists of two industries, Bolyard Lumber Transload (next to Baldwin Road RR Crossing) and Ferrous Processing (next to Collier Road, no accessible viewing points).

May was a quiet month on the branch, Ferrous was shipping out a measly 2 cars at a time (8 cars this month). Bolyard lumber transload was busy and shipped 15 cars out while taking Which makes for 23 cars picked up all together.

Power of choice was either IC 9607 or IC 9636.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

Snapchat: daveeed1k

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Lake Orion branch operation observations

Unread post by AARR »

If Ferrous Pontiac had access to CSX or NS I think they would be shipping a lot more rail cars
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Beemer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beemer »

06/08/2024 12:02
Engine # CN 5417
What industries were worked: Ferrous Processing
How many cars were picked up/dropped off: 2 Picked up
How many cars leaving the branch compared to what the train came with: N/A
Gondolas: ZVBX 526567 & ZVBX 321787
I heard horns about 5 minutes earlier than 12:02. At 12:25, the engine crossed Walton Rd on its way back south to Pontiac Yard.

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Beemer wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:42 pm
06/08/2024 12:02
Engine # CN 5417
What industries were worked: Ferrous Processing
How many cars were picked up/dropped off: 2 Picked up
How many cars leaving the branch compared to what the train came with: N/A
Gondolas: ZVBX 526567 & ZVBX 321787
I heard horns about 5 minutes earlier than 12:02. At 12:25, the engine crossed Walton Rd on its way back south to Pontiac Yard.
:shock:

Can’t say I’ve heard of the belt being worked on a weekend.

I believe they brought 3-4 cars in for Ferrous last week per a user that isn’t on the site.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

David Collins wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:06 pm
At least not FP on weekends. I suspect the Lumber Yard gets worked on days other than Wednesdays, though.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

AARR wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:37 pm
David Collins wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:06 pm
At least not FP on weekends. I suspect the Lumber Yard gets worked on days other than Wednesdays, though.
The Lumberyard got worked on a Monday a few weeks ago according to a friend of mine.

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

513 ran the Beltline last night between 9:45 and 10:20pm, IC 3129 as power, did not see what they left with but they came back with a single scrap hopper from Ferrous Processing.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

I crossed the Lake Orion branch today on Josyln Road. I also passed by the GM Orion Plant. The GM Plant has really expanded with the anticipated electric car builds they were (not sure if they still are) planning. If the rails to the plant were reactivated, it would be a large project for sure. As I said a few months ago, the rails are completely overgrown. Who knows how much of the ties and rail could still be salvaged. Lots and Lots of work to be done for sure to bring it back. Possible? Absolutely. Probable? Not sure. I would assume someone will have to perform a cost analysis to include cost of rebuilding track vs. anticipated revenue and how long it would take to break even and what the profitability would be. Sounds like a job for Mike H!! Mike can do it, yes he can! If Mike can't do it no one can! Call it the Pontiac and Northern! Of course, that would all depend on "if" the line were to come back North of the scrap metal place.

LansingRailFan
Pabst Peddler

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

David Lang wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:33 pm
I crossed the Lake Orion branch today on Josyln Road. I also passed by the GM Orion Plant. The GM Plant has really expanded with the anticipated electric car builds they were (not sure if they still are) planning. If the rails to the plant were reactivated, it would be a large project for sure. As I said a few months ago, the rails are completely overgrown. Who knows how much of the ties and rail could still be salvaged. Lots and Lots of work to be done for sure to bring it back. Possible? Absolutely. Probable? Not sure. I would assume someone will have to perform a cost analysis to include cost of rebuilding track vs. anticipated revenue and how long it would take to break even and what the profitability would be. Sounds like a job for Mike H!! Mike can do it, yes he can! If Mike can't do it no one can! Call it the Pontiac and Northern! Of course, that would all depend on "if" the line were to come back North of the scrap metal place.
CN received a grant from MDOT to help rehab the rails. Unknown what they’ll do with the grant now.

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:50 am
David Lang wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:33 pm
CN received a grant from MDOT to help rehab the rails. Unknown what they’ll do with the grant now.
I’ve been told they’re just waiting on MDOT to give the green light to start, and also that once work starts, the work would take 4-6 months to complete. It’s not like they’re trying to re-open a full 30-40 mile secondary line so it won’t take long.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

As much as I hate to say it--- let it go. If GM wants rail let THEM pay for it. Not the state. We already did this once--- how many times do we install track to a customer that does not use it???

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:06 pm
As much as I hate to say it--- let it go. If GM wants rail let THEM pay for it. Not the state. We already did this once--- how many times do we install track to a customer that does not use it???
This thread is about documenting trains on the branch. There already is a thread for speculation and rumors. Please move that stuff there please

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

YES. SIR!!!!

Mb11
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mb11 »

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this. I am interested if anyone has any information on the two vintage-looking “New York Central” passenger cars that can sometimes be seen parked on the Cesar Chavez bridge at the start of the Orion Branch. It appears that they are put there occasionally for temporary storage. Last night coming up Telegraph I noticed a southbound Amtrak train crossing the bridge over Telegraph behind the flea market, which seemed pretty odd. After stopping at Speedway then heading south on Cesar Chavez, I could see the Amtrak train uncoupling these two cars on the Orion Branch bridge and then pulling away. I remember reading that you can pay Amtrak to pull your privately owned railcars. So my question is, does anyone know the story or the owner of these cars? Is it some business person or celebrity that pays for for some kind of excursion? Are the cars only stored on the Orion Branch when that person is in town or do they live in the CN yard?

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Mb11 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:14 pm
Hopefully this is the correct place to post this. I am interested if anyone has any information on the two vintage-looking “New York Central” passenger cars that can sometimes be seen parked on the Cesar Chavez bridge at the start of the Orion Branch. It appears that they are put there occasionally for temporary storage. Last night coming up Telegraph I noticed a southbound Amtrak train crossing the bridge over Telegraph behind the flea market, which seemed pretty odd. After stopping at Speedway then heading south on Cesar Chavez, I could see the Amtrak train uncoupling these two cars on the Orion Branch bridge and then pulling away. I remember reading that you can pay Amtrak to pull your privately owned railcars. So my question is, does anyone know the story or the owner of these cars? Is it some business person or celebrity that pays for for some kind of excursion? Are the cars only stored on the Orion Branch when that person is in town or do they live in the CN yard?
This is indeed the right place to post this. Amtrak twice in the last two weeks has brought up two sets up Charter wire private cars. Instead of turning around just the locomotive, since the cars have been on the rear of the train, the crews have been taking the full trainsets up including the private cars, and dropping the private cars off on the the bridge over Cesar E Chavez in order to be handed off to the CN. I got a video of this operation last week:

https://youtu.be/B4h25ROcFoo?si=fTLFW524noCQIUbB