Most dangerous places to railfan

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
cole1020
Railroadfan...fan

Most dangerous places to railfan

Unread post by cole1020 »

We’ve all been to at least one of these places before. Places that make you realize that if something went wrong, you might as well be a goner. Perhaps you’ve found yourself on the wrong side of town, or you’ve ventured too far off the beaten path and you’re in the absolute middle of nowhere. Regardless, I want to hear what places railfanning has taken you that has scared you out of your wits.

As for me, I’ve been to both Delray and Coldwater yard past their unofficial 8pm curfews, but never felt too threatened. The only place that’s truly ever terrified me was the Metro Center in Gary whilst waiting for a South Shore connection. That was the first place I’ve seen drug deals and other sorts of crimes occur out in the open in daylight. The fact that I didn’t have my car with me made it all the more terrifying.

Anyway, let’s hear your guys’ stories.

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Re: Most dangerous places to railfan

Unread post by David Collins »

Delray has gotten wayyyyy too much hype for being a “dangerous” place to railfan over the years…BUT it has definitely changed for the better over the last few years. As long as you don’t do anything stupid, drive an expensive car (I took my girlfriends trackhawk down there once, NEVER doing that again), or just draw unnecessary attention, you’ll be fine. I’ve pulled all nighters there and honestly enjoyed it. Is it the safest area? No. Are you guaranteed to get shot or mugged? Also no.

I think the most dangerous place I’ve railfanned in was the South Bend, Indiana Amtrak station. Me and my girlfriend were there during Ferris States’ fall break this past year, and we heard someone unload around 20 bullets out of something automatic, and from VERY close (we even saw what we thought to be the gunman running away). Obviously it scared the living hell out of us and we bailed out of there as fast as we could. I later talked with an engineer friend of mine at NS who is a railfan. He told me back when he was young, he, his dad and some of his friends parked their cars at the SB Amtrak station and took the train into Chicago. They came back that night to all of their car windows smashed out. When there are consistent reports of stuff like that, and having experienced what me and my girlfriend did, I’m never going there again.

I would love to hear everyone else’s locations too.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

Snapchat: daveeed1k

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Monroe, south of the Raisin River where the SB Detroit line runs on Kentucky St has more reported and witnessed incidents than anywhere in Detroit.

In Michigan, those age 21 and over without felonies and certain misdemeanors occuring within a recent time frame may obtain a CPL and carry a handgun in most public places. Ohio and Indiana do not require a CPL. The fee for a Michigan CPL is currently $115.00 and is valid for 5 Years.

No other citizen's sense of entitlement or devaluation of one's own personal life should ever prevent or dissuade any railfan from finding trains in places enjoyed.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

can you really enjoy a place if you need to carry?
when the train approaches you, are you watching if someone is approaching you?

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:00 pm
This.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

felt more unsafe on a locomotive going thru Gary and the south side of Chicago than railfanning anywhere....people there would sometimes shoot at the windows of the locos....always sat back in behind the side window so as to not have a profile visible

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Buster Manning wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:01 pm
felt more unsafe on a locomotive going thru Gary and the south side of Chicago than railfanning anywhere....people there would sometimes shoot at the windows of the locos....always sat back in behind the side window so as to not have a profile visible
There was an incident just outside of Gary recently involving two NS trains and people throwing bricks at the windows. Both members of the crew on one of the trains involved both got glass in their eyes (in order for double pane glass that locomotives use to shatter, that thing has to be HURLED at a really high velocity). The other train’s second unit had it’s windshield spiderwebbed.

That’s some scary sh*t though. Glad you never had to deal with that.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Ooooh, but I have....

A few years back, I was running 352 on a warm, sunny saturday thru Marshall when someone threw a rock at my train when I went by the Dark Horse Brewery....it hit the windshield on my side of the cab with enough force to spiderweb the window and at the point of contact, the window was dented inward an inch....pretty sure if something else had happened to that window, it would have completely failed and come in on me

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

Buster Manning wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:14 pm
Ooooh, but I have....

A few years back, I was running 352 on a warm, sunny saturday thru Marshall when someone threw a rock at my train when I went by the Dark Horse Brewery....it hit the windshield on my side of the cab with enough force to spiderweb the window and at the point of contact, the window was dented inward an inch....pretty sure if something else had happened to that window, it would have completely failed and come in on me
Are loco windows similar to car and truck windows?

TommyG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TommyG »

When I was a young kid in the 1980's, my dad used to take me down to Delray periodically. That was always a little scary at times, but, I do remember there always seemed to be some railroad employee presence there, and we were invited multiple times up into the tower. We used to cruise around the area and check out the yard, occasionally getting invited for a cab ride. The coolest cab ride down there was in a Conrail GP15 where the engineer picked me up and sat me on his lap and let me control the throttle as we did some switching. We also used to go to Milwaukee Jct. and some surrounding areas which were pretty seedy as well. 1980's Detroit was certainly an experience...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

DaveO wrote:
No person needs to carry. All a personal preference crossed with individual and constitutional rights.

One should always be aware of surroundings and who and what may be approaching. Wild pit bull attacks are another threat around tracks and farmsteads with animals in Detroit.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Last edited by GTW Dude on Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

DaveO wrote:
Depending on where you are filming or taking photos from, having a firearm is not a bad precaution.

If your looking out the driver side window of your car and someone tries to rip open your passenger side door to carjack you then yea it's easier to defend yourself. if your out in the open camera and tripod in hand the it's a no I'm obviously in a safe place. If you ever do want to film outside in a less than stellar place, bringing a friend should be a must so they can look out for you and vice versa.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

when you spend more time concerned about your safety rather than watching trains you're in the wrong spot.
if you have a friend that will watch your back it helps but you're still in the wrong spot.

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

The most dangerous place I’ve ever watched trains was in Zeeland Michigan. One day I was watching trains and I was walking next to the tracks unfortunately I was alone unarmed and barefoot. As I was watching a train and walking along suddenly I felt a severe pain in my foot and looked down and realized that I had stepped on a piece of broken glass and cut my foot.

Note: I previously posted about this incident and was going to edit it and accidentally cleared it and then got busy and didn’t have time to repost until now.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Barefoot , on a railroad track. I am cringing, just thinking about that. OUCH!!!! Hope the foot was OK!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

GRHC wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:34 am
One day I was watching trains and I was walking next to the tracks unfortunately I was alone unarmed and barefoot.
Man, if only you would have been armed!
Bottom text.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

DaveO wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:35 am
when you spend more time concerned about your safety rather than watching trains you're in the wrong spot.
if you have a friend that will watch your back it helps but you're still in the wrong spot.
I often carry when railfanning in the sticks of Allegan County. Never know when a methhead or crazy animal might jump out and attack. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

This is a very weird thing to brag about.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

I am surprised AARR restrained himself from saying the most dangerous spot to railfan is next to PAT C when he says pull my finger!

Or the runner up, Thompsonville :lol: