Michigan Rail business news redux

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Michigan Rail business news redux

Unread post by AARR »

Does GLR still ship scrap paper bales? Last few times I drove by all the paper bales have been replaced with metal scrap piles and there was even a gondola on the spur loaded with scrap metal. I checked their website and they advertise their scrap metal services but I had to look hard to find any mention of their scrap paper services.
Man o' War wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:19 pm
Not sure of any future plans. L515 only (rarely) comes to Mount Clemens anymore unless they need to run around their train after switching GLR in Fraser. Man o' War
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

AARR wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:31 pm
Does GLR still ship scrap paper bales? Last few times I drove by all the paper bales have been replaced with metal scrap piles and there was even a gondola on the spur loaded with scrap metal. I checked their website and they advertise their scrap metal services but I had to look hard to find any mention of their scrap paper services.
Man o' War wrote:
Not sure of any future plans. L515 only (rarely) comes to Mount Clemens anymore unless they need to run around their train after switching GLR in Fraser. Man o' War
Yes, they still ship paper, but scrap metal has really taken off for them. L515 pulled a half dozen gons out of there on Wednesday and came into Mount Clemens with those - plus 18 from Dcon! Also, seems to be trackwork going on inside of Chrysler - lots of rail, ties and such going in. No idea what the plan is there...

Man o' War

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you. Please continue to post updates.
Man o' War wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:42 pm
AARR wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:31 pm
Man o' War wrote:
Yes, they still ship paper, but scrap metal has really taken off for them. L515 pulled a half dozen gons out of there on Wednesday and came into Mount Clemens with those - plus 18 from Dcon! Also, seems to be trackwork going on inside of Chrysler - lots of rail, ties and such going in. No idea what the plan is there...

Man o' War
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hopefully this new engine line means continued auto parts traffic into or out of the Dundee Engine Plant on the AA:

https://www.toledoblade.com/business/20 ... 0230830098

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Don't be surprised if it all goes by truck.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard they were shipping out three box cars a day, six days per week. But that is a while ago and I do not know if they are still shipping by rail now.
GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:26 pm
Hopefully this new engine line means continued auto parts traffic into or out of the Dundee Engine Plant on the AA:

https://www.toledoblade.com/business/20 ... 0230830098

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Haven't had cars in quite sometime, but ya never know.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Lots of conversation about the GLC lately and their big customer Zeeland farms. well ironically enough they have another customer that always seems to be flying under the radar in the railfan world. I for one am a big stickler when it comes to stuff like this but our man don simon is the rail customer afficianado! And Don, you;ll be happy to know that recently like three days ago agroliquid was in the local headlines for an expansion quite the conincidence eh. They also have facilities similar to this one in Iowa, California, Kansas and California. and they ship out to anywhere to MIssissippi and tennessee and points in canada.

https://gcherald.com/agroliquid-expands ... 024/09/25/
Exit stage left

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you. I don't know how much they ship by rail. I believe they get both inbound and outbound tank cars. They also get an occasional boxcar.
redside20 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:23 pm
And Don, you;ll be happy to know that recently like three days ago agroliquid was in the local headlines for an expansion quite the conincidence eh.

redside20

Don before the expansion and on a regular basis agroliquid sees 2 to 3 switches a week but the seasonal times of spring and fall are the busiest times of year. In these busy time periods they will get 8 to 15 cars at a time and just 3 to 8 during the offseason. they do ship loads out to other agro facilities in other states and to canada.
Exit stage left

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you Redside
redside20 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:17 pm
Don before the expansion and on a regular basis agroliquid sees 2 to 3 switches a week but the seasonal times of spring and fall are the busiest times of year. In these busy time periods they will get 8 to 15 cars at a time and just 3 to 8 during the offseason. they do ship loads out to other agro facilities in other states and to canada.

redside20

Found out that agroliquid announced a production facility, a rail served one over near lake city fla earlier this year.

https://nflp.org/news/article/agroliqui ... 20services.
Exit stage left

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The former Chrysler Mt Elliot Tool and Die plant is just south of 8 Mile. There is a short spur across Mt Elliot into the north end of the plant but it looks like it may only have been used for large equipment deliveries as it ends under the track for a bridge crane. I’m not sure they’ll use rail at their facility but it can’t be bad for a steel maker somewhere and maybe coils will get trans loaded to this site from rail somewhere else.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... plier.html