Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Who is talking about the owners or customers of the RR??? The pic was posted, and we all thought that this was a new customer, or commodity being delivered to. SOMEBODY posted the pic--- so maybe now pics have to be cleared to determine what's printable, or not. If it is a big secret, then don't post the pic. If the pic gets posted, then be prepared to answer a question about it.

Reuben Kincaid
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Reuben Kincaid »

Right on Joeyuboats!!!

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:33 am
Who is talking about the owners or customers of the RR??? The pic was posted, and we all thought that this was a new customer, or commodity being delivered to. SOMEBODY posted the pic--- so maybe now pics have to be cleared to determine what's printable, or not. If it is a big secret, then don't post the pic. If the pic gets posted, then be prepared to answer a question about it.
I think OP of the pic made it clear he did not know what was being transloaded either

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

TC Man wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:26 am
Jim_c wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:40 am
Saturnalia wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:36 am

The owners and employees of the railroads are under no obligation to provide you the information you seek.

This is a small, closely-held operation. Maybe they don’t want to share. Maybe they would if you were less demanding?
Not only are they under no obligation, there may be an agreement to not disclose information.
Also, by telling us, marketing folks at other nearby railroads could be watching these threads and use that information to their advantage to try to steal the business. Just a thought.
Bingo.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Well-- now that the info, and the pics are PUBLIC INFO--- what is stopping another RR from going there, and actually finding out what it was. The spillage is probably still there. Someone could figure it out. There goes the confidential part, right out the window.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I always think of these forums as looking for what trains are running, where are they running to and from, and what locomotives / interesting rolling stock are used. I personally don't care about what is being carried in the cars. There are some commodities that it may be unwise for the public to know about because the more public the information, the more risk of someone wanting to do damage can be. That damage can either be corperate damage (stealing a customer), or physical damage (damaging property / using the commodity as a weapon).

We really don't need to know what is being carried. Some loads are obvious because the cars are open, or have the load stenciled on the side of the car. Others we know because they are required by law to have a placard. Some we really don't need to know about.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:01 pm
Well-- now that the info, and the pics are PUBLIC INFO--- what is stopping another RR from going there, and actually finding out what it was. The spillage is probably still there. Someone could figure it out. There goes the confidential part, right out the window.
If they really wanted to do that, yes they likely could do that. You also have to ask what other railroads are in the area who would want to do that? Would the carload volume be worth it to the other railroad to snoop around and find out. Remember, if its one of the local railroads, they already likely know what the load is because they have to haul it to the HNW anyway. The other local railroads could in theory sneak around and find out, but would it be worth their time / energy to do so?

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

I went through Hamilton Michigan on 08/31/2024 and I noticed the HNW is now running their 2 MP15 AC's nose to nose instead of back to back.

Note: there were 5 or 6 covered hoppers in the Keystone complex in Hamilton Michigan as well as the 4 covered hoppers at the transload yard in Fillmore Michigan.
The truck in the photo had been moved and was covered with white powder. If anybody's wondering I did not see a rolled up $100 bill nor did I see a mirror or any razor blades lying about.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

joeyuboats wrote:
If you want to know so badly, why the hell don't YOU go there, open up one of the cars, find out what's inside and then report back here?

FFS
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Because, I live on the other side of the state. I thought that one of the railfans from that area might know what it was. I now know that the commodities that railcars carry seem to be more secret than the nuclear codes.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:35 pm
Because, I live on the other side of the state. I thought that one of the railfans from that area might know what it was. I now know that the commodities that railcars carry seem to be more secret than the nuclear codes.
Nuclear codes are more secret

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

joeyuboats wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:35 pm
Just like the number of licks that it takes to get to the Tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Please don't go climb on any equipment and open doors. We have cameras up at the West Michigan and the Hamilton Northwestern that can be watched in realtime from our cellphones.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

LansingRailFan
Pabst Peddler

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

chapmaja wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:04 pm
joeyuboats wrote:
If they really wanted to do that, yes they likely could do that. You also have to ask what other railroads are in the area who would want to do that? Would the carload volume be worth it to the other railroad to snoop around and find out. Remember, if its one of the local railroads, they already likely know what the load is because they have to haul it to the HNW anyway. The other local railroads could in theory sneak around and find out, but would it be worth their time / energy to do so?
INER, GDLK and if someone aggressive owned the MSO or those G&W ones.

Transload customers are easy to set up and easy to steal.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:09 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:04 pm
joeyuboats wrote:
INER, GDLK and if someone aggressive owned the MSO or those G&W ones.

Transload customers are easy to set up and easy to steal.
Part of it may also depend on where it is going. Do the economics of transloading on the INER, MQT or GDLK makes sense from an economic standpoint. If the customer is in Hamilton, does it make sense to truck the load from Coldwater or Grand Rapids?

ATTM4150
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ATTM4150 »

TC Man wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:26 am
Jim_c wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:40 am
Saturnalia wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:36 am

The owners and employees of the railroads are under no obligation to provide you the information you seek.

This is a small, closely-held operation. Maybe they don’t want to share. Maybe they would if you were less demanding?
Not only are they under no obligation, there may be an agreement to not disclose information.
Also, by telling us, marketing folks at other nearby railroads could be watching these threads and use that information to their advantage to try to steal the business. Just a thought.
That we are. :wink:
Won’t deny I’ve gotten info on this forum and passed it on to the sales team.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

I reported what it was, and my post was deleted. I guess the moderators on in on the secrets....

GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Unread post by GRHC »

Typhoon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:55 am
I reported what it was, and my post was deleted. I guess the moderators on in on the secrets....
Wait a minute I read your post you didn't say what it was. Is what you did do was offer to tell us what it was for a price.

FYI: I was going to start the bidding at a $1.00 but like you said your post was deleted before I got the chance.

Is what I really wonder is why they started running their engines nose to nose instead of back to back like they were.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

GRHC wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:22 pm
Typhoon wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:55 am
Wait a minute I read your post you didn't say what it was. Is what you did do was offer to tell us what it was for a price.
There was another post before that which told exactly what the mysterious product was.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Putting them nose to nose gives them an extra 25 horsepower.