The EMD GP-9

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

I've found Wikipedia to be a good online resource for locomotive information. Here's their GP9 page The articles may not be comprehensive, but at least they're a start. Thanks for asking the questions, I've found this thread interesting :)

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Tyler, if you can find them Kalmbach books The Second Diesel Spotter's Guide, and The Contemporary Diesel Spotters Guide, are two good books. Both cover when they were made, how many broken down by US, Canada, and Mexico, the diffrences, between the phases, ect. The first covers start to 1972, in cluding rebuilds, slug conversions, ect. Also a good all around info on how diesels work and why. The second covers from 1972 up to about 96, and is the same as the first. Also if you can find them somewhere, there are two exelent magazines, Diesel Era, by Withers Pub. and Extra 2200 South. Extra 2200 can be hard to find. Both cover diesels and nothing else. Diesel Era, covers the why and how, with detailed photos from the start to today. Extra 2200 covers locomotive movments, sales, scrapings, purchases, ect. It covers every major and minor company you can think of. From the Class 1's to the grain elevator.

For the Kalmbach books, try searching Kalmbach publishing, or trains.com, for more books, and to see if they have the two mentioned.

The rest of it just read, read every mag, you can get your hands on, books, ect. The more you read the more you know. There are at least 6 of us on here that are hard core, loco people, so just ask, or PM me and I will help.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tyler_phillips »

Thank you very much, this has been very helpful information given to me by all of you guys. Thank you.

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tyler_phillips »

Does anyone have any information on the different phases of the GP-9? I cannot seem to get anywhere when I try to look them up. Also, any pictures or websites that have pictures on them of the diferent phases?

thanks.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Another Excellent book to pick up is Brian Soloman's EMD locomotives. Its a great book(as are all Soloman books) Its not cheap but its very worth the money. If covers the entire history of EMD up to I belive its sale from GM. and it covers every major locomotive pretty good but is mostly about the Fs and the Doodlebugs