Rumor of Elkhart-Grand Rapids Watco deal again? Jan 09

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

amtrak1007 wrote:Their plan would be a Morning run to GR and Evening run to CHI. We'll see if the state decides to come up with the funds for that train or not.
That would be GREAT.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I think MQT should get it.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GRTraction
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRTraction »

Beal99 wrote:
amtrak1007 wrote:P370/371 went back to push/pull March 1 2008, tipical passenger counts are 75 @ GRR, 75 @ HOM, and then maybe 2 @ BAM, 25 @ SJM and 1-4 @ NBM
Uh...as someone who frequently takes the PM from Chicago to GR and back, it sure seems those counts are low for GR, Holland, and SJM

I just wish they'd add a second train between chicago and GR, hopefully with the influx of money, they can refurbish some cars and start that, I'd prefer a kzoo-GR run, but that track would need some serious upgrades before they even consider it.
MDOT has got burned in the past by getting refurbs. There's been a lot of demand for refurbished equipment and right now Pere Marquette is on a waiting list. Funding isn't the problem, but car supply is.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I think MQT should get it.
Matt, you were the one who broke the rumor about MQT and the 4 miles of track in Gaylord. Do you know something we don't about MQT and Kalamazoo Sub :?: :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

[quote="GRTraction]
MDOT has got burned in the past by getting refurbs. There's been a lot of demand for refurbished equipment and right now Pere Marquette is on a waiting list. Funding isn't the problem, but car supply is.[/quote]

Yeah when 17% of the fleet is sitting in BEE (Beech Grove) awaiting work, that does kinda keep a cap on what the size of the National Fleet can be. California is renting some Superliner Coaches from the national fleet for their own trains. If the state of Michigan really wanted the cars, they'd pay top dollar for it.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

One of my customers cousin works for NS in Michigan. They've heard there's another shortline looking at the lines...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

Don Simon wrote:One of my customers cousin works for NS in Michigan. They've heard there's another shortline looking at the lines...
GRE? That would be interesting, crappy for C&M though.

I still would love to see Marquette down here. They would be FORCED... that's right, they would have no choice but to hire me! hehe
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I mentioned some local railroad names and she thought she recognized the one her cousin said but wasn't sure.

GRTraction
Railroadfan...fan

Does MQT own out right or lease? Where does MQT end in GR? The Interlock at Ann ST.?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Does MQT own out right or lease? Where does MQT end in GR? The Interlock at Ann ST.?
I think it's a mile or two further north so CSX can switch the factory and scrap metal place just north of Ann St.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Don Simon wrote:
I think it's a mile or two further north so CSX can switch the factory and scrap metal place just north of Ann St.
Rougly a half a mile north of Ann St. at Turner St.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GRTraction
Railroadfan...fan

Conrail Jon wrote:
Don Simon wrote:
Is that leased then north of that point to MQT?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GRTraction wrote:
Conrail Jon wrote:
Don Simon wrote:I think it's a mile or two further north so CSX can switch the factory and scrap metal place just north of Ann St.
Is that leased then north of that point to MQT?
Yes. Just to the north of the Turner St. crossing is a large sign that says "Now Entering Marquette Rail Property".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

amtrak1007 wrote:I was using rounded figures from my aging memory. Peak figures can range as high as 150-200 at GRR and HOM and 75-100 and SJM. In the "good ol' days", before the train was reserved, SRO on many Sunday Nights was the norm, especially when that ski group comes back from Colorado after Spring break. Anyone else ever been on that train? Wowsers lotta people then!

As for planning for a second GR - CHI train, it is in the works, at this point only by the Michigan Passenger Alliance (i think that is their name). Their plan would be a Morning run to GR and Evening run to CHI. We'll see if the state decides to come up with the funds for that train or not.
those numbers are high. with 3 cars then can only sell just over 200 seats. the reason i how this is because when we deadhead to chicago ,we would ask the conductor if there where any seat left. if there was not any seat we would get to cab to chicago the way we wanted to go anyway

Rob

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

Here are the totals from the manifest for today's 371:

GRR- 88 on
HOM- 87 on 2 off, total onb 173
BAM- 5 on 0 off, total onb 178
SJM- 13 on 1 off, total onb 190
NBM- 5 on 2 off, total onb 193
total pax handled= 198
Coaches 54551 (68 seats), 54000 (68 seats), 54516 (74 seats) for a total of 210 seats; 90215 on front with 89 on the rear.

370 so far:

CHI- 133 on
NBM- 0 on 2 off, 131 onb
SJM- 1 on 13 off, 119 onb
BAM- 0 on 2 off, 117 onb
HOM- 0 on 50 off, 67 onb
GRR- 67 off
total pax handled= 134
Consist shows as the same. Numbers may increase by 7-10% or so before departure.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

IIRC Amtrak has added cars when they know demand is higher, Thanksgiving to Christmas weekends, Ski train etc.