Spring Meet - Deshler - 06/12/09-06/14/09

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.

Hmm...

Poll ended at Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Deshler
62%
Butler
2%
Other
36%

Total votes: 42

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Re: Spring Meet

Unread post by Racer »

Conrail Jon wrote: That's just the problem with Durand meets Nathan, their isn't a slew of CN trains anymore.
Hopefully there will be more trains on the CN through Durand after the EJE buy is completely situated, but that won't until about a year.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Just how will the EJ&E purchase affect the Durand traffic?? More? less?

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

hobojim wrote:Just how will the EJ&E purchase affect the Durand traffic?? More? less?
More trains on the Flint and South Bend Subs.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Is this because the trains going thru here can be run around Chicago instead of being swallowed up as before?

Jim

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

My belief is that train levels will remain at current levels on the GTW mainline. The main goal of the EJE acquisition is to improve transit times through Chicago and reduce its dependence on terminals roads like the Indiana Harbor Belt and Belt Railway.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I thought CN purchased the J because they've been under pressure for years to quit using the St. Charles Air Line (granted, it was the Air Line's neighbors that were trying to pressure them to give it up :roll: ). Using the J will give them an alternative to the Air Line...

As far as the thread goes...I vote other---> Rochelle!!! It's a hotspot, with no NS catfish, and lots of mustard and pumpkins. Not to mention a park next to the diamond and lots of interesting photo angles all over town. Oh, and UP has that big yard just outside of town.
~ Charles W.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

It was never about reducing rail congestion in the area when the big push to start removing trains off it begin a few years ago, but rather about not having a mainline passing by all the new condos that are being built in the South Loop and over near Solider Field. There has been talk of putting a connection in at Grand Crossing for Amtrak to use the NS into CUS.

Within the next 10 years everything between Downtown and Oak Park will be rehabbed or new housing. It’s already beginning along West Madison and is all the way out to near the United Center. I also see the area between the Loop and Hyde Park being the same way. There are new condos popping up along the IC mainline around Oakwood Blvd. where housing projects used to be.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

GTW6401 wrote:It was never about reducing rail congestion in the area when the big push to start removing trains off it begin a few years ago, but rather about not having a mainline passing by all the new condos that are being built in the South Loop and over near Solider Field. There has been talk of putting a connection in at Grand Crossing for Amtrak to use the NS into CUS.

Within the next 10 years everything between Downtown and Oak Park will be rehabbed or new housing. It’s already beginning along West Madison and is all the way out to near the United Center. I also see the area between the Loop and Hyde Park being the same way. There are new condos popping up along the IC mainline around Oakwood Blvd. where housing projects used to be.
Lat me see if I have this correct. They are going to build new condos along the IC mainline so the new residents can then female dog about the rail traffic? :twisted:
Sounds similar to what happened/happens, here where city slickers move to a new home built in a farm field then howl about the noise and dust created by the farmer next door farming his land. fark em I day, fark em :mrgreen:

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yes but it dose not matter, as it will no longer be needed after the EJE deal is over for a few years.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

hobojim wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:It was never about reducing rail congestion in the area when the big push to start removing trains off it begin a few years ago, but rather about not having a mainline passing by all the new condos that are being built in the South Loop and over near Solider Field. There has been talk of putting a connection in at Grand Crossing for Amtrak to use the NS into CUS.

Lat me see if I have this correct. They are going to build new condos along the IC mainline so the new residents can then female dog about the rail traffic? :twisted:
Sounds similar to what happened/happens, here where city slickers move to a new home built in a farm field then howl about the noise and dust created by the farmer next door farming his land. fark em I day, fark em :mrgreen:
See, I completely agree. There is a rail there, it's been there since WAY before their time. They have NOTHING to complain about. It's THEIR fault they moved there. it was THEIR CHOICE to move there. Nobody MADE them go there at all. You don't want to live next to the tracks? THEN DON'T MOVE THERE IDIOT. :evil:

People in this flippin country need to start blaming themselves for once instead of everyone else for their stupidity.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

People in this flippin country need to start blaming themselves for once instead of everyone else for their stupidity
Unfortunately, politically we are now about to re-enter the rule of the party that puts little importance on one being responsible for the choices that they make, and puts a premium on allowing them to portray themselves as victims and have NO responsibility for their actions.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I think we lost our way on this thread. I say Rochelle first then Deshler.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I vote for the South Bend-Elkhart-Goshen area.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I vote Deshler, but I'm up for anywhere, as long as it's east of Chicago.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Deshler is the favorite... only a few more days, i think? LETS GO DESHLER! YEEHAW!
Bottom text.

West Butler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by West Butler »

Gregg Pullano wrote:I vote Deshler, but I'm up for anywhere, as long as it's east of Chicago.

I agree Deshler on 05/02/2009

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Maybe we should have 2 meets this year. One in Deshler, one closer to Chicago (not necessarily Rochelle). And not necessarily official, like the Durand meets kind of were.

Personally, I think it would be nice to not have to drive all the way to Deshler from here. I'd definitely be interested in a "meet" of sorts in the South Bend/Elkhart area if anyone else wants to plan one (apart from the meet that apparently will be held in Deshler this spring).
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Charles W wrote:As far as the thread goes...I vote other---> Rochelle!!! It's a hotspot, with no NS catfish, and lots of mustard and pumpkins. Not to mention a park next to the diamond and lots of interesting photo angles all over town. Oh, and UP has that big yard just outside of town.
sd70accsxt700 wrote:I think we lost our way on this thread. I say Rochelle first then Deshler.
Sounds good to me. I've never been to Rochelle and I would prefer to stay out of Ohio as much as possible.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

J T wrote: Sounds good to me. I've never been to Rochelle and I would prefer to stay out of Ohio as much as possible.
LOL. Not going to elaborate more than that?! hahaha

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

cnw8835 wrote:
J T wrote: Sounds good to me. I've never been to Rochelle and I would prefer to stay out of Ohio as much as possible.
LOL. Not going to elaborate more than that?! hahaha
I think JT would be good to go if he didn't drive to Ohio, but as we know, JT must drive everywhere.

My thoughts.... Deshler OH for a spring meet, South Bend for a fall meet.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com