Michigans busiest rail line?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigans busiest rail line?

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

Jesus Christ... I work for the railroad.... to quote my good friend matt.
The dispatcher is cool.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

You forgot the other half of the saying, but you probilly cant and shouldent say it here. :mrgreen:
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Matt all I have to say is what train are you on Q321--Q231-Q132...west...east north south..CSX 123? CSX 231 ...ahahaha Middlebelt or Stark or Levan...HEY MATT...MATTTTTT where are you?

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

JCMF, does that make you feel better?
The dispatcher is cool.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

I am here unless I am over there, and in that case I am going that way, unless I am going that way, upside down!!!!! What was the question?

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

JCMF JOE! Im on the phone :)

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

Wasn't it more like this:

Joe: "MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE OUT OF PENCILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Matt: "darn Joe I'm on the Phone" (swear word used)
The dispatcher is cool.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Thanks for all the info Wayne and JQ; it's nice to hear the actual facts about stuff. :wink:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

geeps
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeps »

Trains do not run on a schedule. Trains have no set time to stop OR ARRIVE. A train may leave a terminal a set time when its needed. That dosent mean its scheduled. THERE is a fine line between A train being called, and trains being scheduled. A train is called as needed. If a train isn't needed its wont be called. Crew Calling and Calling a Train two different things.
In other words if a train was on a schedule, it would be scheduled to depart, and scheduled to arrive somewhere, and scheduled stops in between which dosent happen.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

geeps wrote:Trains do not run on a schedule. Trains have no set time to stop OR ARRIVE. A train may leave a terminal a set time when its needed. That dosent mean its scheduled. THERE is a fine line between A train being called, and trains being scheduled. A train is called as needed. If a train isn't needed its wont be called. Crew Calling and Calling a Train two different things.
In other words if a train was on a schedule, it would be scheduled to depart, and scheduled to arrive somewhere, and scheduled stops in between which dosent happen.
WOW!
Last edited by Typhoon on Fri May 08, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I think we have a new Epic Fail on this forum. :roll:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

I give up. Apparently being stubborn makes you feel better.
The dispatcher is cool.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

wkuhl wrote:I give up. Apparently being stubborn makes you feel better.
:lol: I gave-up 2 years ago!

geeps
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeps »

csxdispatcher wrote:
WOW! You just don't get it. CSX is pretty close to what has been described in the last couple of posts. On CSX all Q trains have schedules that are posted in the computer, if the train does not adhear to the schedule, delays must be explained. If the train does not depart on time, the TM on duty will get a good chewing by the division management is he/she does not have a good excuse. And god help the dispatcher that does not have a hot UPS train into Beford Park before its SCHEDULED ARRIVAL TIME!! Thats right trains have a set time to ARRIVE. But hey, don't take my word for it, or wkuhl, or gridejq, or fred, or C&O Dispatchers word for it. What would we know, we only work for the railroad.

No no, I know when I'm overruled lol.

gtwman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtwman »

Ok I work for the RR as well , ok from what I know, If a train is not in a TIME TABLE it is not a scheduled train, As explain, In my GTW and Wabash Time tables, now me being taught the old ways of railroading and thing have change alot over the years. But I thought if a train is not in a timetable it is not Scheduled train. But with the goofy ways things are done today i figure that trains now are not scheduled , are on a Call bases , meaning yard jobs are normally on a set time but road trains seem to vary and to me if though they maybe called for the same times day after day, they are not scheduled.But with all the stupid letters and number, Why the hell couldnt they all do lioke conrail the easyist to follow of any railroad. Because scheduled trains could not procecced past a station or point until that time they are scheduled to past that point, BUT I could be wrong because thing have really changed. So with that somebody tell me if im wrong or not.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

wkuhl wrote:I give up. Apparently being stubborn makes you feel better.
To reiterate - thank you for your contributions to this thread and this board. Very interesting reading for those of us looking for insight into contemporary railroading.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

geeps wrote: In other words if a train was on a schedule, it would be scheduled to depart, and scheduled to arrive somewhere, and scheduled stops in between which dosent happen.
So you've been told repeatedly by actual employees who know that (some) trains are scheduled to run on certain days, depart at certain times, make scheduled stops and arrive at scheduled times. Even as a fan I see this happening in my area day in and day out. Just as has been described. Do you simply not believe it? Or do you have an expectation that the only "real" version of "scheduled" means commuter-train-like time precision? Certainly Amtrak runs on a "schedule" and they don't show up on the advertised time ever day... :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT:

Oh - I see this guy's gone now - no loss...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Jack,
Todays frt trains do operate on a schedule but are not listed in the timetable anymore. "Back in the day" trains were listed in the TT to inform other employees when a train was due to make sure they were in the clear. Nowadays a trian occupies the main until the train dispr orders him to get in the clear. Todays TCS allows the dispr more flexability in routing trains. Conrail's last few timetables didn't even list the Amtrak schedules and we know Amtrak operates scheduled trains.
Conrail used to print a book for the operating employees Frt Schedule Book which listed all the frt trains run system wide on Conrail indicating the name of the frt train, days it operated, time it was due out of initial yard, scheduled times at various stops along the way to either p/u or s/o and time due into final terminal. It also listed the various blocks of cars carried and where some of these blocks would be set out and where other blocks of cars would be picked up at. Here in Michigan frt schedules were very imp't acc't auto companies counted on J.I.T. (Just In Time) deliveries as to not shut down an assembly line.

gtwman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtwman »

Thanks Fred

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Here you go Geeps, if and when you come back, is a list of the CSX schedule. Last I knew these times were all accurate.

http://www.bullsheet.com/news/freights.html

Even though he says times are examples, last anyone said, they were the actuall times, as he used to work for CSX and still has many connections.