Ann Arbor to Detroit commuter line moves forward.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Ann Arbor to Detroit commuter line moves forward.

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

so if it goes from AA to detroit wouldnt they want to have some repair shops or stuff like that in Ann Arbor? maybe even a small yard to keep equipment.

Commuter rail line will have stop in Ypsilanti
by John Mulcahy | The Ann Arbor News
Tuesday March 10, 2009, 11:35 AM

A proposed commuter rail line between Ann Arbor and Detroit is moving forward with new steps designed to keep it on track for start-up in October 2010.

Commuter rail passengers in Ypsilanti could board a proposed Ann Arbor-Detroit train in front of the Freighthouse in Depot Town or from a parking lot across the tracks from the building, according to a study by city staff.

Meanwhile, contract talks have started between the Michigan Department of Transportation and track owner Norfolk Southern railroad to use the tracks, said Carmine Palombo, director of transportation programs for the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments, which is leading the commuter rail project.
Amtrak, which already operates passenger trains on the tracks between Ann Arbor and Detroit, would operate the commuter service.

The plans for a stop in Ypsilanti show a boarding platform with some shelter which would be built in either of the two spots near the Freighthouse, a former railroad building, now closed, that had been used for community activities. The Ypsilanti stop, at least for now, would not have a new building, said Richard Murphy, city planner.

Both possible spots for boarding in Ypsilanti are publicly owned. A distant third possibility in Ypsilanti might be farther north along Huron River Drive, Murphy said.

The existing, 19th century depot, just to the south of the two proposed boarding sites, is privately owned and would need work to serve as a station, Murphy said.

MORE INFORMATION
• The public can learn more about the proposed Ann Arbor-to-Detroit commuter rail service, including boarding arrangements in Ypsilanti, at an open house March 18 from 4 p.m.-7 p.m. at the Haab Medical Building, 111 N. Huron St., Ypsilanti.

• The open house will be followed by a meeting of the Ypsilanti Planning Commission, at which a more formal presentation about the project will take place.

"We're looking for functionality and not necessarily looking for something as large in scope as acquiring and fixing up the depot," Murphy said.
Just as important as where the platform goes will be parking, traffic circulation and the effects of new train stop on nearby homes and businesses, Murphy said.

Palombo said the boarding platform would be paid for by the rail project, not the city, but he did not know what the cost would be.
The Ypsilanti stop and other updates on the rail project will be presented during a public meeting on March 18.

Two other railroads, Conrail and Canadian National Railway, also own portions of the track on which the commuter service will run.

SEMCOG is researching the possibility of getting federal economic stimulus money to overcome some issues blocking an agreement with Canadian National, Palombo said.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Ann Arbor to Detroit commuter line moves forward.

Unread post by J T »

The plans for a stop in Ypsilanti show a boarding platform...
I sure hope they don't use this one...

:lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

The commuter line that won't die, until they put it in and find out there are not enough riders to support it. Ahhh..........politics.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

This is one commuter plan that I think that I would actually use.

The Dearborn Amtrak depot's a comfortable walk from my office. Now, if they would just choose that instead of the new stop they've talked about at the foot of Evergreen...
-Fritz Milhaupt

ASR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ASR »

SEMCOG is still negotiating with Norfolk Southern - Conrail and Canadian National. I emailed Palombo recently and he said that the service would offer 4 round trips (4 each way) daily and 3 round trips on weekends. NS has been cooperative, but CN not so much. Originally, CN only wanted 2 additional trains on their tracks. Palombo mentioned that they may have found a way to meet CN's requirements to allow the weekday 4 round trips.

New track will be laid at West Detroit Junction to connect Conrail and Canadian National tracks. That could cut the travel time between Detroit and Dearborn in half.

There is no final decision yet but one strong plan was for the locomotives and coaches to be stored and maintained at a yard in Jackson.

SMART, DDOT, M1Rail (if it's running by then), AATA and shuttle buses would take people to their destinations and back.

I'd use the commuter line if my class schedule matched the train schedule. I live in Westland near the proposed station that will serve the airport, and go to school at Eastern Michigan University. It would take about the same amount of time as if I drove. The difference would be that for 15 of those minutes, I could be relaxing, sleeping or doing homework at the last minute. >_>

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I think it's possible for it to be running by October 2010.
Procrastinators of the world unite!... Tomorrow.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Commuter rail line will have stop in Ypsilanti (see map and meeting an open house on March 18th...)
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... ave_s.html
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Two other railroads, Conrail and Canadian National Railway, also own portions of the track on which the commuter service will run.
I can Understand CR... But where does CN come into this mix?? Down Near Delray??

ASR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ASR »

JJ, at West Detroit Junction, CR and CN tracks cross. Two CR tracks then sharply turn north that run parallel to two CN tracks. The CN tracks on the north side are where the current Detroit station is located. Currently Amtrak trains go along the sharp curve and cross over. The CN portion is only like 3 miles long.

Here is a picture of what is proposed and it shows CR and CN tracks:
http://www.semcog.org/uploadedFiles/Pro ... 080409.pdf

Here is a more visual account of West Detroit that I took a while ago when I went on a train excursion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWYV4wduAo8
Procrastinators of the world unite!... Tomorrow.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Heh heh, Nice shot, JT. Just curious, whats going on in that pic? GLCs using those commuter cars at least.

The commuter line that won't die, until they put it in and find out there are not enough riders to support it. Ahhh..........politics.
Your forgetting a part of though, hobojim, they'll keep financing it!

But seriously, Im trying to figure out why a dying metropolitan area is pushing sooo hard for commuter rail in the first place. I recall, Detroit did have commuter rail once. Im assuming theres a reason SEMTA trains dont run anymore. :roll: Dont get me wrong, more trains is always a good thing. I just think Detroit could be spending money a little more wisely at this point, like trying to attract jobs.
Nick

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

Too bad they can't be a little less Ann Arbor-centric and have it extended to Jackson with station stops at Chelsea, Dexter, and Grass Lake. Not only is I-94 stuffed with commuters from these bedroom communities starting at about 5am bound for Ann Arbor AND Dearborn, but there is plenty of servicing area.

Oh- they're too busy reducing their "carbon footprint" and all sorts of other nitwit ideas. Everyone wants a piece of the pie- the politicians, contractors, and the dozens of consultants. No one said you have to be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to be a politician or consultant. All you need is to be an opportunist, sell yourself, and have a lot of "drive" (i.e., selfishness). Intelligence and common sense do not fit the equation. I don't trust them to do anything that approaches something beneficial for society as a whole- just push forward their little agendas and make themselves look like they're "doing their part to be green."

Nothing makes me more angry than incompetence. These are the same people that "studied" the Blue Water route years ago, and said "no one took the train from Lansing and Flint to Chicago in the morning." All they had to do was ASK the public. Consultants and governments do what's best for THEM- not US.

They'll scratch their heads when it fails, and then bemoan the lack of ridership. I can see it now.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

The GTW had a comuter operation on the Holly Sub, Pontiac to Detroit. SEMTA took it over but it died because there was no taxpayer support for this operation, they ran out of money.
NYC-PC-CR had a little comuter train on the Michigan Central, Jackson-Detroit. nice little operation. Took over by State. Died, no money.
New comuter train to run on MC, Ann Arbor to Detroit. Demonstration project to get an accurate projection of ridership. Over the years a lot of studies have been done but sometimes you just have to get out into the field and put ideas to work.
My plan I told the consulants was to run the train out of Jackson to Detroit. Layover in Jackson makes good sence but it does take money to run train. While there are many questions the best plan to get the train up and running to see actual ridership numbers. Once train is running than adjustments can be made.
The area does need a transit tax to support rail and bus services. While Detroit is a dieing city the suburbs are doing ok and when this short term economic crisis is over people will still need transit. Gasoline costs will still continue to go up and up.
How come when it comes to highway, airlines and water subsidies there is no screaming but rail transit subsidies generate the most oppision. When was the last time someone has seen a Yellow Freight salt truck or a United Airlines snow plow or a Interlake ice breaker?
KenB

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

Right on, Ken.

The city is dying, but the suburbs are doing just fine.

There is a public perception that rail is a "subsidy", but money given to air or roads is just "what we pay for a modern society." Thousands of deaths on the highways are a "fact of life", but one rail fatality is "one too many." It's not coincidental, but formed that way by lobbyists, public relations people, corporations, and advertising firms working for the aforementioned three.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:Heh heh, Nice shot, JT. Just curious, whats going on in that pic?
At test run for the Wally last May:

http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewto ... lly#p45020
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

All they would be doing is reinstalling tracks that were alredy there. There are two bridge, in the northwest corner of West Detroit, where the CR and CN (AKA) old WAB, cross. All they have to do is relay the tracks.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Yes, relay some track. The plan is to come off the north MC track and build north to the old C&O ROW which would than cross over Junction Ave and conect with the GTW Mt. Clemens Sub. Most expensive part would be the signals and electric switch. Remember the orginal line of the DL&N came to West Detroit and connected with the GTW. Not sure if they connected with the MC at that time.
This would elimate going through West Detroit, Spring Works and up to Vinewood on the CR than getting on GTW. Not a real big time saver but makes for a more effecent operation.
If a fast, clean train is operated reliably at a competive cost, people will ride it. Look what Mike Illich did last year filling cars with people going to the Tiger games. Did very well. Would have done better if the eastbound train ran on time.
Unfortunally we are going at this piecmeal. Remember when all the passenger trains ran, when you got to your destination there was an effecent transit system to move people about the cities and a lot of stuff was easy to walk to.
In the past 40 years we have spread out due to the automobile and while a person can take a train from point A to B, it is hard to get around at point B unless you have and automobile or you are going to Chicago, New York, Washington, Cleveland, St. Louis. So putting back passenger rail is only one part of the whole system.
KenB

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

OwlCaboose2853 wrote:Commuter rail line will have stop in Ypsilanti (see map and meeting an open house on March 18th...)
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... ave_s.html

All aboard! Ypsilanti officials ponder where to put boarding platform for Ann Arbor-Detroit commuter rail
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... cials.html
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams