Mozilla Firefox

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Mozilla Firefox

Unread post by CAT345C »

Is anybody else here using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox? I just converted from that horrible IE7 and I really like it. Built in spell check it never seems to crash, and my computer seems to load a lot faster internet wise.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Mozilla Firefox

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Have been using Firefox for a couple of years now. Has been my browser of choice ever since. Not only does it function way better than IE, but is also alot safer to use on the web. IE is full of security vulnerabilities.
Last edited by SteveTJ on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube Videos
www.youtube.com/stevetj001

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Firefox is way better. When I first got the current computer I have now the IE wouldn't even work, so I had a friend install Firefox on it for me. Way better difference than the other one which has flaws in it.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

SteveTJ wrote:Have been using Firefox for a couple of years now. Has been by browser of choice ever since. Not only does it function way better than IE, but is also alot safer to use on the web. IE is full of security vulnerabilities.
What he said :)
I use firefox as my primary browser.. have the "IE Tab" addon incase I find some application on a website that doesn't work well in Firefox, like Microsoft Exchange's webmail.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

I'm a huge Firefox fan.

I have these three extensions:
IE tab - Like railroadfan said, you can open a page using the IE engine (just like using IE)
AdBlock Plus - Blocks ads. Haven't seen an ad anywhere on any site in a long time.
Foxmarks - Backs up your bookmarks online. Has saved my booksmarks from being totally lost many many times. I would be lost without it (Note: I don't use the password sync option, but I'm sure it would be fine).
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Firefox is awesome. I've used it for a couple years after getting fed up with IE. IE7 is a clone of firefox but its full of nasty bugs and stuff. Firefox just keeps getting better and better. I converted my mom's user to on my parents computer to Firefox and she loves it too. My Dad is the black sheep of the family and he still uses IE :?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Tried Firefox and it was VERY slow. Went back to IE, just got IE 8. Never had a problem with IE 7.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I quit using IE a long time ago, it sucks. Period. Been using Firefox for quite a few years now.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

conrailmike wrote:I quit using IE a long time ago, it sucks. Period. Been using Firefox for quite a few years now.
Ditto. Firefox had quite a few features that IE has now, long before Microsoft decided to include them in IE. Things like tabbed windows, and other stuff that isn't coming to mind right now sold me on Firefox several years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Firefox is developing more security vulnerabilities now that it's becoming more popular, but I'd prefer not to have my computer constantly connecting to Window's website just to download updates and patches for IE.
~ Charles W.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Firefox. Used to have all kinds of crashes, lockups, popups, etc with IE. Switched to Firefox several years ago, like night & day, will never go back. (I know never is a long time :D )

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

What about google chrome? I use it on the upsatairs computer... the only con is the fact it doesnt have much compatablity with some plug ins. IE sucks and it needs to die!!!
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

Go for it Mike. I've been doing fantasy sports on Yahoo for years and just before this last football season, they hit us (without telling us at that) with some fancy new graphics and such that just weren't working with my I.E.6.0 that I was using. I emailed Yahoo wondering why I couldn't see anything more than my team's name on my team page and they said I had to either upgrade to IE 7.0 or Firefox 2.0 or 3.0 to view anything from now on. OK... so I looked into 7.0, as we've always used IE and I didn't know anything about Firefox. To use IE 7.0, you HAVE to have VISTA installed on your computer!! :evil: I have XPpro and have no intentions of upgrading my operating system just so I can play fantasy sports. I asked a few people at work who are proficient with computers, including a guy who does computer troubleshooting/programming on the side. Everyone said try Firefox, you'd like it. There are tons of add ons to it, and very few issues with viruses and crashing. I decided to go with FF 3.0 and have used it for about a year with hardly any problems. We have Comquat's cable internet service, so the internet is never really that slow. It was PAINFULLY slow trying to do my fantasy sports on dial up!!

In a nutshell, give it a shot, Mike. I haven't personally come across any websites that don't accept it, but there are some out there. As Mozilla's popularity grows, more websites are making sure IE AND FF will work with them as they are updated.

Good luck,
Dave J ---> Now if Mozilla only made an OPERATING SYSTEM!!! :idea:

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Conrail Jon wrote:Tried Firefox and it was VERY slow. Went back to IE, just got IE 8. Never had a problem with IE 7.
You must be one of a few that didn't like FF, and even rarer is someone who didn't have any problems IE

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Opera and Safari are also good browsers, and are better at some things than either IE7 or Firefox.

I use all, according to situation, but Firefox is my primary.

IE7 sucks.
Norm

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

SAFARI!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Conrail Jon wrote:Tried Firefox and it was VERY slow. Went back to IE, just got IE 8. Never had a problem with IE 7.
I too have never had any problems with IE 7. After looking at this thread I've decided to try Firefox. It works fast for me. Live Maps loads the image about twice as fast on Firefox than IE.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

JANGAJONGA wrote:SAFARI!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!
Garbage.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I agree with Jon, Ive had no problems with IE. The only thing I wonder is if Firefox works well with dial up. yes I know I still got that antique thing, but its all part of livin in the country.
Nick

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

I tried firefox a few years back and all I had was problems. I finally gave up and went back to IE and have never had a problem. I read all these praises of Mozilla, but it was a real pain for me. I'll keep my IE and sanity that goes with it. To each whatever works best for them.

Jim

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Safari Isn't that bad.... But it doesn't load stuff as fast as I would like and I have Firefox but it performs on par with Safari.... So I just use safari...
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side