CP sells major stake in Detroit River Tunnel

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

CP sells major stake in Detroit River Tunnel

Unread post by conrailmike »

From Railway Age...

Canadian Pacific Railway will receive $C110 million (US$86.9 million), plus additional proceeds of $C22 million based on future freight volume, in a transaction that will see Borealis Infrastructure acquire a majority interest in the Detroit River Tunnel Partnership.

The deal, which is subject to regulatory approval, will reduce CP's interest in the partnership from 50% to 16.5%.

CP will retain exclusive operating rights through the tunnel, which carries its rail line from Windsor, Ont., to Detroit.

Borealis Infrastructure is an investment arm of the OMERS pension fund

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP sells major stake in Detroit River Tunnel

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Now is this being done for reducing operating expenses, to raise capital, or both?

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

I am not clearing about CP sells! MCRR was started Detroit River tunnel then NYC, PC, Conrail but CP bought it. I don't remember about it. Does STB will approve them?
MCRR/NYC history and photos; http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... =143ka2uli
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bentrail »

Now they have money for buying the Grand Rapids sub.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Bentrail wrote:Now they have money for buying the Grand Rapids sub.
Thats a good one. LOL

I think they would need a few more bucks than that.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

No way.... this HAS to be a HOAX....

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I doubt Railway Age would publish a hoax.

AJR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AJR »

If I recall correctly, Conrail sold the tunnel to both CN/CP. Thats when one of the bores in the tunnel was in larged. I think that CN sold its interest in the tunnel, but with running rights through it and CP became the owner.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CP operates most of the trains. CN operates a pair and NS may still operate a pair too. I don't know if CSX does.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Don Simon wrote:CP operates most of the trains. CN operates a pair and NS may still operate a pair too. I don't know if CSX does.
CSX still operates one train through the tunnel. The train is D718.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

RRTTF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RRTTF »

Now, I must wonder, how long it will be before one or both of the tunnel tubes are converted for TRUCK traffic instead of RAIL. That has been the push of the heretofore minority investor (now majority owner) for a number of years.

Sad to see the demise of the great Michigan Central. Were the line from Buffalo to Chicago still intact, it could provide some real competition to those routes operating on the south side of Lake Erie.

Ever notice that, usually, where there is true rail competition, the traffic thrives... but once there is rail monopoly, the traffic begins to die off? Is there a connection?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

There's an article in Crain's Detroit Business that CP and another party still want to build another railroad tunnel in Detroit. The article claims Detroit is missing out on a lot of freight business because they don't have this tunnel.

A few questions:
1. Is the current Detroit tunnel a bottle neck?
2. What additional traffic would use a new tunnel that can't use the old tunnel or use the CN Port Huron tunnel then come south to Detroit?

IMO a 2nd tunnel in Detroit will be a huge waste of money so I'm thinking I'm not thinking this through and missing something.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/story ... 088c97447f
Don...this might be part of the reason way CP want a new tunnel cause they do not want this to happen again.
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

PlymouthStationGuy wrote:http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/story ... 088c97447f
Don...this might be part of the reason way CP want a new tunnel cause they do not want this to happen again.
WTF - they just invested millions of $$$ to increase the clearance of the tunnel to handle double stacks :?

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Don Simon wrote:There's an article in Crain's Detroit Business that CP and another party still want to build another railroad tunnel in Detroit. The article claims Detroit is missing out on a lot of freight business because they don't have this tunnel.

A few questions:
1. Is the current Detroit tunnel a bottle neck?
2. What additional traffic would use a new tunnel that can't use the old tunnel or use the CN Port Huron tunnel then come south to Detroit?

IMO a 2nd tunnel in Detroit will be a huge waste of money so I'm thinking I'm not thinking this through and missing something.

Don your over seeing that a second tunnel would provide space for all the homeless people. Duh-Uh
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

SMRGUY wrote:Don your over seeing that a second tunnel would provide space for all the homeless people. Duh-Uh
Hobo's need a place to live too :lol:

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bentrail »

CP ALSO JUST SIGNED A NEW CONTRACT WITH X500 (CP242) UNTIL 2025 WITH CSX.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

the tunnel can handle two 8'6" contaniers but not two 9'6" containiers or the 20'2" autoracks like the p.h. cn tunnel can. that is why they want a new one.

Rob

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

So that would explain the reason for the old 89 foot flat cars with containers on the cp trains.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

rob wrote:the tunnel can handle two 8'6" contaniers but not two 9'6" containiers or the 20'2" autoracks like the p.h. cn tunnel can. that is why they want a new one.

Rob
So they invested millions of $$$ for a tunnel expansion that would be obsolete in less than 10 years? If they were going to expand the tunnel why not just go all the way so the biggest and best freight cars can go through?