Green Frog Video- Michigan Fast Freights

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Green Frog Video- Michigan Fast Freights

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Pretty interesting. Has some stuff that Emery Gulash shot while in the Detriot Area. The clip shows Carelton, with the Station, and can you gess what the other tower is? How Bout Wayne!!! I was amazed to see how much the area around Wayne has changed in 30 Years....

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Green Frog Video- Michigan Fast Freights

Unread post by AARR »

Wow, long strings of refridgerator cars and even a few stock cars...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

That first scene is actually Romulus, not Carleton. I have a copy of that video and I must say it's pretty fun to watch. Almost all of the scenes are in the Detroit area except for a couple shot at Alexis in Toledo and at Howell on the C&O mainline to Grand Rapids. Some NYC action on the Michigan line as well.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Are the sounds with this the sounds of the actual trains, or just recordings from someplace else?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Conrail Jon wrote:Are the sounds with this the sounds of the actual trains, or just recordings from someplace else?
Typical Green Frog quality. The sounds are recordings. You will hear the same sounds over and over and over again. Although they do an alright job dubbing the sound in, you can tell it is fake. When a 4-axle unit goes over a joint in the rail, you will hear the sound of a 6-axle lol! And throw in all the errors, as Gregg pointed out they can't tell the difference between Romulus and Carleton. :roll:

Go buy something from Pentrex, Clear Block, or God forbid Big "E"...but forget Green Frog.

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

some guy on ebay is selling these cheap

I got

MI Fast Freight
DTI vol 1 and 2
Chicago Electric Railways vol 1 and 2
Chicao rails 1987
Chicago hot spots

7 DVDs for like 50 bucks

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Gregg Pullano wrote:That first scene is actually Romulus, not Carleton.
So, when the narrator says "Carleton" at 1:04, he's incorrect?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Ah you cant compleaty forget Green Frog, as there is a lot of good historical stuff they have that you cant get any where else. And yes all of there historical stuff is taped and dubbed in. And in both there new stuff and old stuff, they dont know the diffrence between east and west, GP60 or SD60, SD45 or SD40, but the old and new stuff is usually stuff you cant find any where else. Plus if you can find his stuff on e-bay, its cheep. I picked up 30 or so for a average of 5.00 each.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

amtrakjackson
Deactivated

Unread post by amtrakjackson »

The guy who sells the DVDs on eBay, "robieo", is located in Marietta, GA, and is somehow involved with the Green Frog operation. GF used to unload their surplus DVDs under their name on eBay, but the "store" closed some years ago and reopened under this name as far as I can tell.

Just ignore the narration on most of their DVDs and enjoy them for what they are. The Conrail ones usually are all messed up- wrong symbols, locations, directions, on and on. My fave screw-up shows Amtrak 44 at CP281, and for the going away shot it's the rear of a van train, spine cars and all!! First time I watched it I spit beer all over the place in laughter.

thebaron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thebaron »

I called green frog and clear block and asked them if Emery Gulash had video of the Bay City,Saginaw,Midland or Flint area? I was told all original masters were return to Emerys' son who donated them to the Michigan Railroad Museum in Durand. By the way Vignettes of the Ann Arbor 3 will be available at Durand Model railroad show .

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

I'll third the notion of putting up with sound & narration issues for the sake of "vintage" film you can't get elsewhere - I love my WM videos and don't bother paying attention to the narration since I know the what/where/etc anyway...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Interesting view of those areas some years ago, liked the view at Carleton with the freight coming off the Penn Central Line (now Lincoln Secondary) not to mention the old transfer track between the C&O and the DT&I. Also too did anybody see the old Color Position Light on the DT&I in the one shot, I recall a topic about this a couple days ago.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Gregg is right about the Romulus shot, I too have that video, great footage on it. I was wondering why the "wabash" power would be on the C&O to begin with
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Theres also a book which I purchased of photos that Emery Gulash had taken around Detroit in the 1950 and 1960s. I picked it up at Riders in Flint not to long ago.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

J T wrote:
Gregg Pullano wrote:That first scene is actually Romulus, not Carleton.
So, when the narrator says "Carleton" at 1:04, he's incorrect?
Gregg, are you going to answer my question?
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I have to agree with most of the opinions here... I HATE the fake sounds dubbed into most of the Green Frog productions, I mean, come on! Who edits this crap?! However, the actual video footage is well worth the suffering we must endure with the soundtrack. I just wish they would re-issue these videos with more appropriate sounds. To me, seeing an E-8 with obviously turbocharged EMD sounds, is unforgivable from a production company that purports to be a "Railfan" outfit. And don't even get me started on the "horn" sounds!! I think they used a childs toy organ for most of them. For a $50.00 video, I think they can do better. I like Gregg Scholl, and Clear Block. Pentrex is good too. Green Frog, well, unless it's something I just HAVE TO SEE, I'll pass.

Todd

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Gregg, are you going to answer my question?
Guess not. Not having seen that video its self, I will say most likely it is wrong, but can not say for sure.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Sorry Jim, I missed this.
Yes, when he says Carleton at 1:04, he's wrong. It's Romulus, looking west from the point where the westbound NS absolute cantilever now stands.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

IMHO dubbed sounds are dubbed sounds..if it aint live cant call it good...most of the content of the Frog vids i have are the reason i bought em...good views of trains\places i wanna see
i like the Michigan Fast Freight vid i got...its almost wore out.. :mrgreen:
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Gregg Pullano wrote:Sorry Jim, I missed this.
Yes, when he says Carleton at 1:04, he's wrong. It's Romulus, looking west from the point where the westbound NS absolute cantilever now stands.
Ok, just checking because I don't recognize that location in Romulus. I'm guessing that station is no longer there?