Plymouth Sucks

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Alan
Railroadfan...fan

Plymouth Sucks

Unread post by Alan »

I go to Plymouth because it's really the only place near me to go train watching without having to drive 100 miles. I sat in Plymouth for about 6-7 hours and saw 2 trains and a couple yard jobs. What a waste of my time. Why anybody would go to Plymouth is beyond me. Plymouth has been like this for a long time, it's not like this just happened. I'm done with Plymouth.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: Plymouth Sucks

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Honestly, that's quite childish. You live in the greater Detroit area and are complaining about lack of trains? You have to take what you can get. If you don't like it, go somewhere else or find a new hobby. Come over to the west side of the state where there are only a handful of trains scheduled, and all of those don't even run daily. That will make you appreciate what you have on the east side. Save up your money - do less railfanning, but more serious fanning. Your not that far from Ohio where there are a decent amount of trains. Why weren't you in Deshler? We had train after train.
Last edited by Mr. Tops on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Alan wrote:I go to Plymouth because it's really the only place near me to go train watching without having to drive 100 miles. I sat in Plymouth for about 6-7 hours and saw 2 trains and a couple yard jobs. What a waste of my time. Why anybody would go to Plymouth is beyond me. Plymouth has been like this for a long time, it's not like this just happened. I'm done with Plymouth.
Funny. Rochelle (illinois) is the supposedly the best spot very close to me without the same 100+ mile drive to see "action." I feel the same way you apparently feel about Plymouth though, as the last several times I've been to Rochelle, I've seen a total of maybe 4 trains. I feel like I've just wasted my time, energy and gas to drive out there and just stare at the rails and crossties for a couple hours. :evil: I guess that's why the railfan meets have become more and more attractive for me, personally. When the trains stopped running in Deshler last weekend, at least Y@ and Chris were around to keep things interesting... :lol:
~ Charles W.

Alan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Alan »

Mr. Tops wrote:Your not that far from Ohio where there are a decent amount of trains. Why weren't you in Deshler? We had train after train.
I do go to Deshler when I can, amongst other places in Ohio where I can see more then 2 trains in 7 hours.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Alan, your timing is the problem. On a good day you'll get:

Q334
Q335
D717
D716
D739
D738
Q327 (M,W,F)
Q326 (Tu, Th, Sun- Plymouth Switch)
Grain
Coal
K356/K357
Q151/Q150 (Maybe, depends on Lincoln Sec.)
Q132/Q131 (Maybe, depends on Lincoln Sec.)
and All the Track Maintainers you want. Traffic will probably be a little light until the work on the Diamond, and the 4th shutdown is complete, and also there are OTHER FACTORS as well...

Alan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Alan »

Trainwatcher, I've been going to Plymouth for a long time, day and night. In the past 8-9 months have never seen more then 4 trains. I don't count an engine pulling two cars as a train.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Well, then something is wrong. Either you don't know how to count, you fall asleep and miss trains, or you just have really bad luck as the Plymouth gang are constantly posting reports with well over 4 trains.

Alan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Alan »

I do know how to count. Although I may have dozed off once.
Last edited by Alan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Bob's right Alan. We consistantly see a very large number of trains. What time do you normally hit Plymouth?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Brilliance.

Your right, I didn't make it that far. Only made it to 2nd grade actually. Funny, how I fooled everyone and got my "dream job".

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

If you hate CSX so much I suggest giving CN a shot. Read through some of the posts I have made in the past few days on CN trains. Maybe reading some of the updates posted on here from a few previous days will give you an indication of what types of traffic patterns there are before you head out.

Watching trains in Michigan is a little bit luck and knowing the time frame of when things are running.
Last edited by GTW6401 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

2 things I need to point out here:

-James, all those trains DO NOT run on the same day. Some run other days than others.

-Alan, do you have a scannar, check the train location updates, or even have an idea how CSX currently operates down here? I admit, between CP Rail moving off the CSX, the Wixom and other plants closed, and the recession, the CSX here is nothing like it was when I was railfanning here 12 years ago. Also, do you listen to a scanner? It sure helps alot when something is coming or activity in the area. Alot of trains during the day here are extras or depend on crews/ connections. Also, Plymouth has alot of locals and yard jobs which is the same type of activity that you would see on most shortlines like in Saginaw/ Bay City which is what makes Plymouth interesting. Some days here you see alot of trains, somedays you don't so try Plymouth a few more times before you go on here and bad-mouth our town just because everything didn't go your way. If you live in the area, you have a better idea of when things are running, if you don't - well too bad, figure it out yourself.
Last edited by Racer on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Well here's two reports I found just parusing through the trip report forum...which makes me wonder why this thread is also in the trip report forum. Should be in the chit chat forum, but my guess is by the AM it will be in the recyle forum.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13688

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13550

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Mr. Tops wrote:...by the AM it will be in the recycle forum.
There's a recycle forum??? Sweet!!! Umm...where is it?
~ Charles W.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Only on the moderator's screen :wink:

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Ive kept 24 hr logs of all the trains through the Plymouth area for the last few years and besides a one year stint of living in Memphis...I also have the notes of trains before that and Plymouth is like ANY other place...you just have to know the operational patterns...obviously Allan you dont pay attention to the patterns or you could easily 5-6 trains in 3 hrs every night/morning....I do it all the time..
Q231
Q392
Q321
Q322
Q399 (L399)
can all be seen in the short time plus any extras and yard jobs (they are trains).

Plymouth has always been busy at night and this is when you should go if you want to see "something" in your case....hmmm did you know that the auto business is hurting causing the loss of trains and I think we are in a recession??? Not sure???

Other notes...like Bob said look at Deshler..averaging 50-55 trains every 24 hrs right now..early 2000's yielded 70-75 a day...I was in Deshler from Thursday to Sunday and yes there was some 2 hr breaks and so forth but that is normal during the day...just because the day is best for people to watch trains and take pics does that mean that the railroad should switch their operations for railfans so it doesnt inconvenience them?? Answer that your self...

And last Rochelle...Charles you hit the normal down times obviously..I check lineups and AEI's for both railroads and also have done 4 48 hrs straight at the park this year and there always is a dead time..all you have to do is know your operations and call times...Rochelle is currently seeing 70-80 trains a day (3 trains a hour or one every 20 mins on average)

How can you complain when thats more then we see in almost a week in Plymouth and its more then I see in a week on the Detroit Sub here in Livonia.

If you want to complain then stop watching trains...stay home and watch birds in your backyard or run trains on a layout and you can count each loop as one train...so maybe you can run as many as you want!

JQ

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

gridejq wrote: And last Rochelle...Charles you hit the normal down times obviously..I check lineups and AEI's for both railroads and also have done 4 48 hrs straight at the park this year and there always is a dead time..all you have to do is know your operations and call times...Rochelle is currently seeing 70-80 trains a day (3 trains a hour or one every 20 mins on average)

Obviously. Based on my observations (or lack there of), I tend to hit up Rochelle right about the time Metra hits their busiest period, about 60 miles east of Rochelle. I tend to see the last eastbound from the freeway as I'm headed west...not that I'm complaining, I just figured I'd chip in as best I could considering the tone the thread was taking.
:mrgreen:
~ Charles W.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

aw man, this thread is great.

but seriously, how could you NOT know that Plymouth wasnt exactly a "hot-spot?" If you want volume like you claim to, come to Ohio and check out these places:

FOSTORIA
BELLEVUE
GREENWICH
ATTICA
DESHLER
COLUMBUS
TOLEDO

OK? if you want volume, there you go.
Bottom text.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Alan - Try Delray. It's close to you and there's a lot more trains from three different railroads.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Well ant this just peachy.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!